Hose clamps on Gold Rush failed!

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Alan Weiss, Apr 28, 2003.

  1. Alan Weiss

    Alan Weiss Guest

    You may be aware that Bob Bryant of RCN has complained for years about the hose clamps on Easy
    Racers seats. I never knew what he was complaining about until today. The two hose clamps on the
    bottom of my Gold Rush's Koolback seat (the ones that connect the back of the seat to the seat
    bottom) both failed catastrophically. That is, they broke completely. I don't know exactly when it
    happened, I think it was at the end of my previous ride or the beginning of my ride today. But after
    10 miles or so, when I had just felt a tad uncomfortable during the ride, not knowing exactly if I
    was centered in the seat or not (this feeling had never happened to me before), I leaned back and
    the seat leaned back, too! I thought that the seat support bolts had come loose, but it was the seat
    bottom, now pivoting on the middle support.

    One good thing about hose clamps, though, is that they are available everywhere. One mile down the
    road and I was at a hardware store, bought two hose clamps, and installed them without a hitch.

    Just though I'd relate my experience, and ask if anyone else has ever had those two little
    clamps fail?

    Alan Weiss NJ Gold Rush, E2 tandem, and Leitra rider

    Tags:

  2. Shwackman

    Shwackman Guest

    >Just though I'd relate my experience, and >ask if anyone else has ever had those two little
    >clamps fail?
    No, but after 11,000 miles of pushing "pretty hard" on mine, maybe I should inspect them in the
    morning. Did you replace them with the "all stainless" models?

  3. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    See < http://www.showoffstainless.com/clamps.html >.

  4. "Alan Weiss" <[email protected]> wrote in message .
    > You may be aware that Bob Bryant of RCN has complained for years about the hose clamps on Easy
    > Racers seats.

    Hose clamps?

    What the heck kind of contraptions are you guys riding?

    My road bike has a full titanium bolt kit installed.

  5. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

    > "Alan Weiss" <[email protected]> wrote in message .
    > > You may be aware that Bob Bryant of RCN has complained for years about the hose clamps on Easy
    > > Racers seats.
    >
    > Hose clamps?
    >
    > What the heck kind of contraptions are you guys riding?
    >
    > My road bike has a full titanium bolt kit installed.

    Hey Fab,

    If you keep slumming over here in a.r.b.r., soon you will be tempted to finally ride a recumbent.
    The thought of buying one will enter your subconscious, and then your conscious mind. Finally you
    will give into temptation. After that you will grow a beard and start wearing dorky riding gear.
    After you have been fully assimilated, you will sell all your upright bikes.

    Be afraid, be very very afraid. :)

  6. Fabrizio wrote:

    > Hose clamps? What the heck kind of contraptions are you guys riding?

    Peter Ross always used to say of hose clamps that if they were good enough for Rolls-Royce, they
    were good enough for him. Bob Bryant, needless to say, disagreed.

    > My road bike has a full titanium bolt kit installed.

    Are you boasting, confessing or complaining? The only steel parts on my mountain bike were the
    spokes and frame.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  7. Skip

    Skip Guest

    > If you keep slumming over here in a.r.b.r., soon you will be tempted to finally ride a recumbent.
    > The thought of buying one will enter your subconscious, and then your conscious mind. Finally you
    > will give into temptation. After that you will grow a beard and start wearing dorky riding gear.
    > After you have been fully assimilated, you will sell all your upright bikes.
    >
    > Be afraid, be very very afraid. :)

    Fabrizio once admitted that he spent some of his off season time looking at bent pictures. Seems to
    me his bent closet door is already cracked open.

    skip

  8. Alan Weiss

    Alan Weiss Guest

    I hope the new clamps are all stainless. They look to be.

    As far as inspecting your bike, I would be very surprised if it were fruitful. How can hose clamps
    fail? I still don't know how mine did.

    Shwackman wrote:

    > >Just though I'd relate my experience, and >ask if anyone else has ever had those two little
    > >clamps fail?
    > No, but after 11,000 miles of pushing "pretty hard" on mine, maybe I should inspect them in the
    > morning. Did you replace them with the "all stainless" models?

  9. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Don't forget that along with growing a beard, he will also have to grow an aero belly!

    > Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
    > >
    > > "Alan Weiss" <[email protected]> wrote in message .
    > > > You may be aware that Bob Bryant of RCN has complained for years about the hose clamps on Easy
    > > > Racers seats.
    > >
    > > Hose clamps?
    > >
    > > What the heck kind of contraptions are you guys riding?
    > >
    > > My road bike has a full titanium bolt kit installed.
    >
    > Hey Fab,
    >
    > If you keep slumming over here in a.r.b.r., soon you will be tempted to finally ride a recumbent.
    > The thought of buying one will enter your subconscious, and then your conscious mind. Finally you
    > will give into temptation. After that you will grow a beard and start wearing dorky riding gear.
    > After you have been fully assimilated, you will sell all your upright bikes.
    >
    > Be afraid, be very very afraid. :)

  10. Jon Meinecke

    Jon Meinecke Guest

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 01:51:30 -0500, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hey Fab,
    >
    > [...] After you have been fully assimilated, you will sell all your upright bikes.

    Resistance is futile. We are BORG.

    Bicyclists On Recumbents Galvanizing [1]

    Jon Meinecke

    1. To arouse to awareness or action; spur

  11. "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Fabrizio wrote:
    >
    > > Hose clamps? What the heck kind of contraptions are you guys riding?
    >
    > Peter Ross always used to say of hose clamps that if they were good enough for Rolls-Royce, they
    > were good enough for him. =========

    If it wasn't for hose clamps, many an invention never would have made it past the proverbial drawing
    board (not to mention a very angry hpv rider watching his fairing vanishing into the sunset).

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA

  12. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    Alan Weiss asks: "How can hose clamps fail? "

    By over tightening is my guess. I've stripped a few in my time.

    --
    Miles of Smiles,

    Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida (remove "nospam" to reply) Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed
    Machine Clone

    www.gate.net/~teblum

  13. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    > Peter Ross always used to say of hose clamps that if they were good enough for Rolls-Royce, they
    > were good enough for him. [...]

    Yes, but:
    1) Look where Rolls ended up.
    2) They used them on _hoses_ , where they belong, not to hold the seats together.
    3) They don't sound so bad when you call them "jubilee clips". Sounds rather festive, actually, not
    like cutting a cost/design corner.

    :)
    Johnriley1 (at) rogers.com

  14. David

    David Guest

    Ok Fab, I'll get some titanium hose clamps if I have to.

    Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
    > "Alan Weiss" <[email protected]> wrote in message .
    >
    >>You may be aware that Bob Bryant of RCN has complained for years about the hose clamps on Easy
    >>Racers seats.
    >

    > Hose clamps?
    >
    > What the heck kind of contraptions are you guys riding?
    >
    > My road bike has a full titanium bolt kit installed.

  15. Bentrider

    Bentrider Guest

    It was Shwackman himself that once said... "Hose clamps look like shit, but when you need a hose
    clamp, nothing else will work." A very true statement.

  16. "David" <[email protected]> wrote in message ..
    > Ok Fab, I'll get some titanium hose clamps if I have to.

    It's not an issue of what they're made out of, the thing is they're still damn hose clamps.

    Here's the difference between someone like you and someone like me, when you want to buy parts for
    your bent you go to some scruffy hardware store and have to mix with dirty working types like
    electricians and plumbers, whereas an elite level roadie like me goes to places with name like La
    Bicicletta and PedalSport.

  17. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:
    > ... The only steel parts on my mountain bike were the spokes and frame.

    What materials were the chain, rear cogs, hub, headset, and BB bearings, hub axles, BB spindle,
    brake and shifter cables, and fasteners (bolt, screws, etc.) made out of?

    Tom Sherman - Recumbent Pedant Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

  18. Alan Weiss

    Alan Weiss Guest

    That may be, but I've had my bike about 3 years and never tightened them. I didn't even NOTICE them
    until they failed!

    Tom Blum wrote:

    > Alan Weiss asks: "How can hose clamps fail? "
    >
    > By over tightening is my guess. I've stripped a few in my time.
    >
    > --
    > Miles of Smiles,
    >
    > Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida (remove "nospam" to reply) Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed
    > Machine Clone
    >
    > www.gate.net/~teblum

  19. Chuck M

    Chuck M Guest

    [email protected] ('BentRider) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > It was Shwackman himself that once said... "Hose clamps look like shit, but when you need a hose
    > clamp, nothing else will work." A very true statement.

    Stainless or not, the standard worm-screw hose clamp is barely suficient for it's intended purpose -
    low pressure hoses. Even then, there are several better choices. Permantely incorporating them into
    a structural design is not only ignorant, but a serious liability risk. Makes one question the
    entire design of the produce it was/is used on.

    Here's a good example: http://www.kkai.com/mt24.html

  20. Funny, no one to my knowledge has ever proposed a better solution. And, as far as I know, this is
    the 1st reported failure, ever. Before berating one of the greatest HPV designers of all time, maybe
    you could do a little research. You claim to have "several better choices". Please enlighten us.

    news:[email protected]...