Hospital Admissions Data

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just Zis Guy, Apr 3, 2004.

  1. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Now online at
    <url:http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/hospital-admissions.html>

    See also the home page at
    <url:http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk>

    --
    Guy
    ===

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

    Tags:

  2. On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 21:54:51 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> said:

    > Now online at <url:http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/hospital-
    > admissions.html>

    Wot - no mention of tea cosies? In the last DTI report
    before the government stopped funding it, there were around
    40 hospital admissions involving tea cosies.

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,502980,00.ht-
    ml

    http://www.dti.gov.uk/homesafetynetwork/gh_stats.htm

    Also 33,000 accidents involving paving or concrete blocks
    (now that's a busy fairy), 12,000 involving vacuum cleaners
    and 7,000 involving lawn mowers. In 1998, there were 11
    deaths and 772 injuries as a result of fires started by
    candles, and the use of candles for "recreational or
    lifestyle" purposes is increasing.

    Note that the survey does not break down the different
    causes of accidents with respect to the seriousness of
    the injuries.

    It's a dangerous place, both inside and outside the home,
    and we must avoid knee-jerk reactions to a few well-
    publicised problems (handguns, pit bull terriers,
    paedophiles, terrorism), whilst ignoring others (global
    warming, TB and sleeping sickness, Chagas' disease and other
    diseases of the poor).

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3584679.stm (UK
    Government chief scientist Sir David King says that climate
    change poses a bigger threat than terrorism)

    http://www.msf.org/content/page.cfm?articleid=032387D3-7D09-
    49E3-99FC231DBE03F7B7 (Medecin Sans Frontiers report)

    --
    Alan J. Wylie http://www.wylie.me.uk/ "Perfection [in
    design] is achieved not when there is nothing left to add,

  3. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Now online at <url:http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/hospital-
    > admissions.html>
    >
    > See also the home page at
    > <url:http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk>

    Outstanding work, Guy!

    --
    Dave...

  4. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 5/4/04 11:58 am, in article
    [email protected], "Dave Kahn"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Now online at <url:http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/hospital-
    >> admissions.html>
    >>
    >> See also the home page at
    >> <url:http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk>
    >
    > Outstanding work, Guy!

    Which shows that head injuries to cyclists are responsible
    for more than 20% of all transport related hospital
    admissions. 6.4 vs 6.2

    How many of these would have been helped by a helmet?

    One can read into the figures a number of things. At the end
    of the day the politicians will make political, not
    scientific decisions.

    ..d

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    David Martin wrote:

    > Which shows that head injuries to cyclists are responsible
    > for more than 20% of all transport related hospital
    > admissions. 6.4 vs 6.2

    Not as such. Half of them are transport injuries, the other
    half leisure injuries using bikes. So you have to compare
    either all bikes versus all other causes, or bikes in
    traffic crashes versus other causes in traffic crashes.
    Taking traffic crashes alone, cycling is the cause of fewest
    serious head injuries, with walking being highest and motor
    vehicle occupants being second.

    > How many of these would have been helped by a helmet?

    The Government "knows of no case where cyclist safety
    has improved due to increased helmet use" (their words,
    not mine).

    > One can read into the figures a number of things. At the
    > end of the day the politicians will make political, not
    > scientific decisions.

    True. Right now they are pushing active travel, and the key
    decision makers are being reminded that this Bill would
    sabotage that effort.

    --
    Guy
    ===
    posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  6. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Now online at <url:http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/hospital-
    >admissions.html>
    >
    >See also the home page at
    ><url:http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk>

    Sorry Guy. Sadly your manipulation of the figures to fit
    that which you want to believe to be true is similar to a
    certain SS member.

    In other words, I find your statistics suggesting that
    helmet wearing does little or nothing to improve cyclists'
    safety no more convincing than the SS's claims that speed
    cameras cause accidents.

    I am more convinced by the argument that compulsion
    will deter cyclists and thus lead to greater obesity
    levels, therefore a greater death rate, in the
    population as a whole.

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Gonzalez wrote:

    > Sorry Guy. Sadly your manipulation of the figures to fit
    > that which you want to believe to be true is similar to a
    > certain SS member.

    The data as presented are taken entirely from a model
    provided by the Department of Health, albeit at significant
    cost of my time.

    > In other words, I find your statistics suggesting that
    > helmet wearing does little or nothing to improve cyclists'
    > safety no more convincing than the SS's claims that speed
    > cameras cause accidents.

    That is not what this analysis says. This analysis says that
    the scale of the problem is substantially smaller than the
    claims made by BeHIT./ That is the beginning and end of it.
    I think you may be the one suffering from an attack of
    preconcived notions here.

    > I am more convinced by the argument that compulsion
    > will deter cyclists and thus lead to greater obesity
    > levels, therefore a greater death rate, in the
    > population as a whole.

    Fine. You can believe or not the arguments about efficacy,
    as long as everybody recognises that compulsion will
    overall shorten more lives than it could hope to save we
    will all be happy.

    It is the Government, not me, who says that they know of no
    case where cyclist safety has improved with increased helmet
    wearing. If you want to go into that in detail I suggest you
    ask John Franklin for his data on the severity ratio of
    cyclist and pedestrian casualties, which remain similar in
    London over the long term despite a rise in helmet use to
    50% in some parts of the capital. That is an argument
    against the efficacy of helmets. Arguments against eficacy
    come form looking in real world data for the kinds of
    savings predicted by the small scale studies, and not
    finding any savings at all. That's why the CTC are against
    compulsion. If there were

    This data is an argument for not claiming 100,000 injuries,
    20,000 serious head injuries, 22,000 "tragedies" every
    year, as BeHIT do. This is the first time we have been able
    to get the full data set from the DoH (BeHIT could have
    done so at any time as they have been co-funded by DoH for
    some years). Why did the body which the Government has
    given £400,000 of taxpayers' money to assess cycle helmets
    not publish these figures? Why did they then consistently
    use figures an order of magnitude or more larger than the
    real numbers? Ask your MP.

    --
    Guy
    ===