hot cross buns in Penzeys catalog

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Julia Altshuler, Mar 15, 2006.

  1. Not ordering this time, I threw away my Penzeys catalog too quickly.
    Would someone send me or post the recipe for hot cross buns? (Or tell
    me where to find it on their web page. I checked under recipes and
    think I must be blind.) The last time I made yeast bread, I wanted
    something a little sweeter, and that recipe looked just right. Then I
    forgot, and you know the story.

    --Lia

    Tags:

  2. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Julia Altshuler wrote:
    > Not ordering this time, I threw away my Penzeys catalog too quickly.
    > Would someone send me or post the recipe for hot cross buns? (Or tell
    > me where to find it on their web page. I checked under recipes and
    > think I must be blind.) The last time I made yeast bread, I wanted
    > something a little sweeter, and that recipe looked just right. Then I
    > forgot, and you know the story.

    It's on page 13 of the Spring catalog, but not at their web site...
    don't know why they don't have all their recipes on line.???

    2/3 cup milk
    4 TB butter
    1/4tsp minced orange peel
    3 cups flour, AP or Bread
    1/8tsp grd cloves
    1/4tsp grd cardamom
    1tsp grd cinnamon
    1/2tsp grd nutmeg
    1/4tsp grd ginger
    3/4 cup dried fruit, ie. raisins
    1 egg
    1 pkg dried yeast

    Cross icing
    3 Tb flour
    2 tsp sugar
    3 TB water

    Glaze
    1 TB powdered sugar
    1/4 tsp hot water

    Heat milk, butter, and minced orange peel until lukewarm.
    Sift together spices and flour in lge bowl.
    Add dried fruit and yeast, mix well.
    Add beaten egg and milk and mix to a dough.
    Knead dough till soft and pliable.
    Leave dough to rise overnite in fridge, or in a warm place for 1 1/2
    hours.
    Knock down dough and divide into 16 pieces.
    Knead each into a ball.
    Place on greased baking sheet, almost youching.
    Score tops with 'X' and let rise 45 minutes in warm place so they join
    up.
    Brush with egg wash.
    Mix icing and fill 'X' marks (use plastic bag with corner snipped).
    Bake at 425ºF for 15-20 minutes.
    When out of oven brush with glaze.

    Okay, not typed exactly (don't want the copyright policia on my butt)
    but I'm sure you'll get the idea.

    Sheldon

  3. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Julia Altshuler wrote:
    > Not ordering this time, I threw away my Penzeys catalog too quickly.
    > Would someone send me or post the recipe for hot cross buns? (Or tell
    > me where to find it on their web page. I checked under recipes and
    > think I must be blind.) The last time I made yeast bread, I wanted
    > something a little sweeter, and that recipe looked just right. Then I
    > forgot, and you know the story.
    > --Lia

    Don't know about the ones in the catalog but these are exceptionally good.

    Refrigerator Rolls

    6 - 6-1/2 c. all purpose flour
    1/2 c. sugar
    2 tsp. salt
    2 pkgs. active dry yeast
    1/2 c. butter, softened
    2 c. very warm water
    1 large egg
    vegetable oil
    melted butter

    1. In a large bowl, combine 2-1/4 cups flour, sugar, salt & yeast.
    Addbutter. With mixer at low speed, gradually pour in two cups hot tap
    water(120F). Add egg, increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes,
    occasionally scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat in 3/4 c. flour
    or enough to make a thick batter; continue beating 2 minutes. With a spoon,
    stir in enough additional flour (about 2-1/2 cups) to make a soft dough.
    2. Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and
    elastic, about 10 minutes. Shape into a ball and place in a large greased
    bowl, turning to grease the entire round of dough. Cover with a towel and
    let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
    3. Punch down dough. Turn the dough over and brush with oil. Cover
    bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate, punching down occasionally,
    until ready to bake.
    About 2 hours before serving: Remove dough from refrigerator. Grease
    a 15X10 pan (I use an open roasting pan for this). Cut the dough into 30
    equal pieces and shape into balls and place in the pan. Cover the pan with
    towels and let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled about 1-1/2
    hours.

    Preheat oven to 425F. Bake the rolls 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
    Brush with melted butter. Remove rolls from pan and serve immediately.
    Makes 2-1/2 dozen rolls.

    From the 1977 Good Housekeeping Cookbook

  4. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Sheldon wrote:
    > Julia Altshuler wrote:
    >> Not ordering this time, I threw away my Penzeys catalog too quickly.
    >> Would someone send me or post the recipe for hot cross buns? (Or
    >> tell me where to find it on their web page. I checked under recipes
    >> and think I must be blind.) The last time I made yeast bread, I
    >> wanted something a little sweeter, and that recipe looked just
    >> right. Then I forgot, and you know the story.

    > It's on page 13 of the Spring catalog, but not at their web site...
    > don't know why they don't have all their recipes on line.???

    I don't know either but when I went to the Penzeys' shop in Germantown, as
    the man showed me around and pointed out the various recipe cards they have
    in the store, he said, "Some of these aren't in the catalogs." And he
    didn't know why, either.

    Jill

  5. Just what I wanted. Thanks.
    --Lia