Hot Cross Buns

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Cora H Parry, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Cora H Parry

    Cora H Parry Guest

    Hi, I'm new to the list. Does anyone have an easy recipe for
    Hot Cross Buns or sticky buns?

    Thanks Cora

    Tags:

  2. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    Cora H Parry wrote:

    > Hi, I'm new to the list. Does anyone have an easy recipe
    > for Hot Cross Buns or sticky buns?

    *Cindy Fuller just posted this during the week, I don't
    think she'll mind if I repost it for you*

    This is adapted from "The Fannie Farmer Baking Book", by
    Marian Cunningham.

    Hot Cross Buns 1 package dry yeast
    1/4 cup warm water
    2/4 cup milk, warmed
    3/3 cup sugar 1 1/2 teaspoons salt 4 tablespoons butter,
    softened 2 eggs about 3 1/4 cups flour 1 teaspoon cinnamon
    4/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    5/4 teaspoon allspice
    6/2 cup dried cranberries

    Mix yeast into warm water and let stand. Combine milk,
    sugar, salt butter, and eggs in a large bowl; beat well. Add
    yeast mixture. Beat in 1 1/2 cups flour and spices. Cover
    and let rise for about an hour. Add remaining flour, then
    knead until smooth and elastic. Knead in the dried
    cranberries in the last minute or so. Place dough into a
    greased bowl; cover and let rise until doubled. Punch dough
    down; turn onto lightly floured board. Roll into a rectangle
    about 14" x 10" and 1/2" thick. Cut out buns with a 2 1/2 to
    3-inch round cutter; place buns about 1" apart on greased
    baking sheets. Reroll scraps and continue cutting until
    you've used up the dough. Let rise uncovered until double.
    Just before baking, use floured scissors to snip a cross in
    the top of each bun, cutting about 1/2" deep. Bake at 375°
    about 15 minutes until the tops are golden brown. Cool on
    wire rack. Makes about 20 buns.

    Cindy

  3. Cindy Fuller

    Cindy Fuller Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Cora H Parry wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi, I'm new to the list. Does anyone have an easy recipe
    > > for Hot Cross Buns or sticky buns?
    >
    > *Cindy Fuller just posted this during the week, I don't
    > think she'll mind if I repost it for you*
    >
    > This is adapted from "The Fannie Farmer Baking Book", by
    > Marian Cunningham.
    >
    > Hot Cross Buns 1 package dry yeast
    > 1/4 cup warm water
    > 3/4 cup milk, warmed
    > 1/3 cup sugar 1 1/2 teaspoons salt 4 tablespoons butter,
    > softened 2 eggs about 3 1/4 cups flour 1 teaspoon
    > cinnamon
    > 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    > 1/4 teaspoon allspice
    > 1/2 cup dried cranberries
    >
    > Mix yeast into warm water and let stand. Combine milk,
    > sugar, salt butter, and eggs in a large bowl; beat well.
    > Add yeast mixture. Beat in 1 1/2 cups flour and spices.
    > Cover and let rise for about an hour. Add remaining flour,
    > then knead until smooth and elastic. Knead in the dried
    > cranberries in the last minute or so. Place dough into a
    > greased bowl; cover and let rise until doubled. Punch
    > dough down; turn onto lightly floured board. Roll into a
    > rectangle about 14" x 10" and 1/2" thick. Cut out buns
    > with a 2 1/2 to 3-inch round cutter; place buns about 1"
    > apart on greased baking sheets. Reroll scraps and continue
    > cutting until you've used up the dough. Let rise uncovered
    > until double. Just before baking, use floured scissors to
    > snip a cross in the top of each bun, cutting about 1/2"
    > deep. Bake at 375° about 15 minutes until the tops are
    > golden brown. Cool on wire rack. Makes about 20 buns.
    >
    > Cindy

    Thanks, Nancy! I didn't feel like typing it in again.

    Cindy, whose SO is STILL waiting for a batch of these to
    appear

    --
    C.J. Fuller

    Delete the obvious to email me

  4. "Cora H Parry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I'm new to the list. Does anyone have an easy recipe
    > for Hot Cross Buns
    or
    > sticky buns?
    >
    > Thanks Cora