Hot leg rub products

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by rudycyclist, Mar 29, 2007.

1. rudycyclist

rudycyclist New Member

I am looking for a hot rub for my legs. I have never used it but I've been told there are cremes that you can put on your legs (or anywhere) and it will keep your skin warm/dry. I am looking for something for about 30 to 40 degrees farenheit. What kind of products is everyone else using?

Tags:

2. sideshow_bob

sideshow_bob New Member

i don't know about the warm and dry part. oils make water bead off, i'm not sure if thats what you mean?

anyway the active ingredient in many rubs is methyl salicylate. i find it much cheaper to simply buy a bottle of methyl salicylate (in an oil suspension, i can't remember the concentration, maybe 15% v/v) from the chemist for about $3 and use that, as opposed to $20 for some of the linament rubs.

--brett

3. BikingBrian

BikingBrian New Member

I use Sports Balm, a Dutch brand. They have different product lines for different uses: before warming up, cooling down, recovery etc. I use the "Yellow 2" for cold and wet weather racing and training, when I don't want to wear tights or knee warmers. It's a red-colored oil, it contains Paprika (the hot type presumably, similar to chili peppers), which can stain clothing, so you have to be careful! However, it works very well....keeps the legs warm and also, rainwater beads up because of the oil.
    However, there is one thing you should know: I read somewhere (sorry, forgot where) that these type of "warming" oils that work with capsicum-type ingredients (ie, chili pepper derivatives) work by irritating the skin a little (sort of like when your lips get numb from eating chiles)....and that although it FEELS warm, it is actually making the skin cooler because the blood vessels become dilated, letting off more heat from your body! But, as I said, in real experience, it feels nice and warm.

4. vio765

vio765 New Member

i use Qoleum pre-race oil. it doesnt "warm" up like capsicum. but using it with a 10-15minute massge can warm the legs up pretty well. i rub about a "quarter-sized" pool in my hand, then rub both hands together. then the hands spread the oil on the legs. after that, just rub. use two hands per leg to maximize the heat generated from the friction. start easy, then work your way to pushing blood into the muscles by pushing harder. i have been doing this and my overall ride just feels better. more comfortable. warmups are easier, and i dont have as much chill as i do when i step outside. sometimes i was either lazy or short on time and i skipped the self-massage-warm-up and i felt stiffer, colder, and tighter. how did i live without doing this in the past!? i say try it and see how it works for you. it isnt THAT expensive. and one bottle will last A VERY LONG TIME. i have used the above amount per massage about 5-6 days a week for at least 6 weeks and im still at 2/3rds full bottle.

5. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Mila Jovovich would be a hot rub.

6. supergrill

supergrill New Member

For extreme conditions, I find it works even better if used in concurrent combination with Jolene Blalock.

7. carpediemracing

carpediemracing New Member

atomic balm

bring rubbing alcohol to get it off.

8. vio765

vio765 New Member

oh hell yes. you know she sings too? i got a couple songs from a buddy and she ain't bad! a little ameteurish, but not bad at all. you know that song at the very end of The Fifth Element when the credits begin to roll? that's her!