hot spots on feet

rudycyclist

Mar 14, 2006
I'm sure this is a common problem but now that it's starting to get very warm out, I get some pretty bad hot spots on the bottom of my foot where the cleat is. Any simple solutions I should try. I've thought of trying some thinner socks, but I don't think it will be a permanent solution. Any ideas?

rudycyclist said:
I'm sure this is a common problem but now that it's starting to get very warm out, I get some pretty bad hot spots on the bottom of my foot where the cleat is. Any simple solutions I should try. I've thought of trying some thinner socks, but I don't think it will be a permanent solution. Any ideas?
Consider changing the cleat location on the bottom of your shoes ...

If changing socks and cleat position doesn't work, you could try changing the insole in your shoe. I know Specialized has their own thing going on (with the varus wedge and metatarsal button or whatever) but I would imagine that you could get cycling-specific orthotics for your shoes or get ones molded to your feet by a podiatrist. That should eliminate hot spots by getting rid of pressure points.

rudycyclist said:
Thank God I found this. I wrote to the shop I bought the bike and accesories from about hot spots and didn't get a reply. I thought maybe I was very rare so they didn't have anything to say about it.

Anyhow, I'm glad there are some answers out there. I have a bent that only leaves me with one "problem" involving a fit/body issue. That problem is severe hot spots on the balls of my feet depending on a number of things. Of course if it's a hundred degrees out I have more of a problem. I think I may have more of a problem when I wear black socks. So far the evidence points in that direction. Thinner socks seem to help. And the biggest help so far is for me to just plain wear the shoes really loose. It feels odd while walking but who cares right?

I only start having trouble after being on the bike close to an hour, and if I angle my foot so that I'm not putting as much pressure on the balls of my feet it immediate alleviates the pain and discomfort. Of course I can't ride for long like that and as soon as I go back to normal the pain immediately starts back up. It burns REALLY BAD. It's about enough to make me get off the bike. That sucks because I'm still raring to go otherwise. I thought maybe if I bought a full insole and cut out the area the balls of my feet rest on it may fix me up.

I think one of the previous posts was the best answer though. I think you probably need to get an orthotic made up specifically for this problem. That way it wouldn't matter if you got new shoes or bought a different brand. Speaking of different shoes I just saw a very expensive Shimano Trialthlete bike shoe that claims to aid with hot spots by using "a hollow carbon channeled sole that helps to dissipate road vibration and eliminate hot spots." Of course they're $179.00 but if it were to actually eliminate my problem it would be well worth the money.

Now I just have to find a store that carries them so I can take them back if they don't do the trick. If anyone else has any ideas please post them here. This hot spot thing really sucks. If feels like I have a torch on the bottom of my foot. It's not just annoying, it's enough to make me stop riding for the day and that stinks.

I've continued to get them after 3+ hour rides. I've tried just about everything so I'd recommend new shoes. I've heard Shimano's shoes are amazing. Also, Specialized seem to get good results.

capwater said:
Cleat positioning is the usual cause of hot spots.

seems that everybody gets them but more on the road ( spd )
most of the problem is that we wear our cycle shoes so little compared to svery day shoes that we really don´t get our feet used to the shoes and vice versa , try more protective insoles but basiclly it´s a matter of getting used to it as it´s a matter of the cleat size more than anything else , sorry .

- could someone please explain why cleat-positioning will cause hot-foot ?

- if my cleats are out of position , I will know because the relevant muscle group will hurt (or if is side-side , the knee will hurt I suppose).

- but why would it cause hot-foot?