Hot tub skin rash

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Rick, Oct 23, 2003.

  1. Rick

    Rick Guest

    After my wife and I use our hot tub, she showers and I dry off. I then sit in my office chair and
    check scores or email on the computer until she's done in the shower. The last couple of times, I've
    gotten a terrible rash just where my skin contacts the chair. My wife suggests that it could be a
    reaction between the spa chemicals on my skin and something on the chair. We use bromine in our spa.
    Does this sound plausible to anyone? From now on I'm showering afterward and avoiding this chair.

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Mseagan

    Mseagan Guest

    I am almost positive your rash is from the bromine. Many people, myself included, get a horrible
    rash from bromine facilities (hot tubs and pools). I was able to swim in it for several years before
    I got the rash, and then it got progressively worse until I figured out what it was. Now, if I am in
    a facility that has bromine and the air is not well circulated, I will get a rash from the air even
    if I never set foot in the water, so be careful.

    Marianne

    "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > After my wife and I use our hot tub, she showers and I dry off. I then sit in my office chair and
    > check scores or email on the computer until she's done in the shower. The last couple of times,
    > I've gotten a terrible rash just where my skin contacts the chair. My wife suggests that it could
    > be a reaction between the spa chemicals on my skin and something on the chair. We use bromine in
    > our spa. Does this sound plausible to anyone? From now on I'm showering afterward and avoiding
    > this chair.
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Pat

    Pat Guest

    "MSEagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]_s53...
    > I am almost positive your rash is from the bromine. Many people, myself included, get a horrible
    > rash from bromine facilities (hot tubs and
    pools).
    > I was able to swim in it for several years before I got the rash, and then it got progressively
    > worse until I figured out what it was. Now, if I am
    in
    > a facility that has bromine and the air is not well circulated, I will get
    > rash from the air even if I never set foot in the water, so be careful.
    >
    > Marianne

    I have been swimming in a bromine pool for a year now without any rash at all. I used to get streaks
    of red on my arms and legs while swimming in the chlorine pool. I had to go to a dermatologist,
    even. The only thing that made the rash go away was when the Ortho doc put my leg in a cast. I told
    him that would keep me out of the pool, and he got a laugh out of that. Then, later, I told the
    Dermatologist that the Ortho guy cured the rash--and when he inquired as to how, I told him with a
    cast. He was silent for a moment or two, and then said, "That seems a little severe to me." But,
    really, I have not had ANY problems with the bromine.

    Pat in TX

  4. Diablo

    Diablo Guest

    again, just catching up on an older post, buuutt...

    bromine probably wouldn't be the cause of this unless you have a specific reaction to it. i can
    probably suggest one of a few things it could be, and again, it may not be also...

    1) check the pH balance and water chemistry with greater regularity. hot tub
    = small compared to a pool, and therefore taking care of the chem and
    cleaning is more important.

    2) how often do you clean your tub? in the warm environs of the hot tub produce bacteria that can
    also cause an accute reaction.

    3)it may just be a heat reaction. also, the chair you sit in - is it a man made material in contact
    with your skin?

    good luck..hope you solve the problem :)

    steve

    "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "MSEagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]_s53...
    > > I am almost positive your rash is from the bromine. Many people, myself included, get a horrible
    > > rash from bromine facilities (hot tubs and
    > pools).
    > > I was able to swim in it for several years before I got the rash, and
    then
    > > it got progressively worse until I figured out what it was. Now, if I am
    > in
    > > a facility that has bromine and the air is not well circulated, I will
    get
    > > rash from the air even if I never set foot in the water, so be careful.
    > >
    > > Marianne
    >
    > I have been swimming in a bromine pool for a year now without any rash at all. I used to get
    > streaks of red on my arms and legs while swimming in
    the
    > chlorine pool. I had to go to a dermatologist, even. The only thing that made the rash go away was
    > when the Ortho doc put my leg in a cast. I told him that would keep me out of the pool, and he got
    > a laugh out of that. Then, later, I told the Dermatologist that the Ortho guy cured the
    rash--and
    > when he inquired as to how, I told him with a cast. He was silent for a moment or two, and then
    > said, "That seems a little severe to me." But, really, I have not had ANY problems with the
    > bromine.
    >
    > Pat in TX

  5. Mseagan

    Mseagan Guest

    I swam in bromine for 7 years without a problem which is why the rash cause was so hard to determine
    since I had changed nothing in my routine . After being treated with Prednisone to clear the rash, I
    went to only chorine pools with no problem. Once I started getting the rash, the bromine problem was
    not limited to the original facility where I developed the rash. I have since met many people who
    have had this bromine rash, so if nothing else works, it is worth considering.

    Marianne

    "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "MSEagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]_s53...
    > > I am almost positive your rash is from the bromine. Many people, myself included, get a horrible
    > > rash from bromine facilities (hot tubs and
    > pools).
    > > I was able to swim in it for several years before I got the rash, and
    then
    > > it got progressively worse until I figured out what it was. Now, if I am
    > in
    > > a facility that has bromine and the air is not well circulated, I will
    get
    > > rash from the air even if I never set foot in the water, so be careful.
    > >
    > > Marianne
    >
    > I have been swimming in a bromine pool for a year now without any rash at all. I used to get
    > streaks of red on my arms and legs while swimming in
    the
    > chlorine pool. I had to go to a dermatologist, even. The only thing that made the rash go away was
    > when the Ortho doc put my leg in a cast. I told him that would keep me out of the pool, and he got
    > a laugh out of that. Then, later, I told the Dermatologist that the Ortho guy cured the
    rash--and
    > when he inquired as to how, I told him with a cast. He was silent for a moment or two, and then
    > said, "That seems a little severe to me." But, really, I have not had ANY problems with the
    > bromine.
    >
    > Pat in TX

  6. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I'm going to drain it clean it out real good, and switch to
    chlorine. I'll let you know the results.

    Thanks again,

    Rick

    "MSEagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]_s04>...
    > I swam in bromine for 7 years without a problem which is why the rash cause was so hard to
    > determine since I had changed nothing in my routine . After being treated with Prednisone to clear
    > the rash, I went to only chorine pools with no problem. Once I started getting the rash, the
    > bromine problem was not limited to the original facility where I developed the rash. I have since
    > met many people who have had this bromine rash, so if nothing else works, it is worth considering.
    >
    > Marianne
    >
    > "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "MSEagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]_s53...
    > > > I am almost positive your rash is from the bromine. Many people, myself included, get a
    > > > horrible rash from bromine facilities (hot tubs and
    > pools).
    > > > I was able to swim in it for several years before I got the rash, and
    > then
    > > > it got progressively worse until I figured out what it was. Now, if I am
    > in
    > > > a facility that has bromine and the air is not well circulated, I will
    > get a
    > > > rash from the air even if I never set foot in the water, so be careful.
    > > >
    > > > Marianne
    > >
    > > I have been swimming in a bromine pool for a year now without any rash at all. I used to get
    > > streaks of red on my arms and legs while swimming in
    > the
    > > chlorine pool. I had to go to a dermatologist, even. The only thing that made the rash go away
    > > was when the Ortho doc put my leg in a cast. I told him that would keep me out of the pool, and
    > > he got a laugh out of that. Then, later, I told the Dermatologist that the Ortho guy cured the
    > rash--and
    > > when he inquired as to how, I told him with a cast. He was silent for a moment or two, and then
    > > said, "That seems a little severe to me." But, really, I have not had ANY problems with the
    > > bromine.
    > >
    > > Pat in TX

  7. Mseagan

    Mseagan Guest