Hot tub skin rash

R

Rick

After my wife and I use our hot tub, she showers and I dry off. I then sit in my office chair and
check scores or email on the computer until she's done in the shower. The last couple of times, I've
gotten a terrible rash just where my skin contacts the chair. My wife suggests that it could be a
reaction between the spa chemicals on my skin and something on the chair. We use bromine in our spa.
Does this sound plausible to anyone? From now on I'm showering afterward and avoiding this chair.

Thanks

I am almost positive your rash is from the bromine. Many people, myself included, get a horrible
rash from bromine facilities (hot tubs and pools). I was able to swim in it for several years before
I got the rash, and then it got progressively worse until I figured out what it was. Now, if I am in
a facility that has bromine and the air is not well circulated, I will get a rash from the air even
if I never set foot in the water, so be careful.

Marianne

"Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After my wife and I use our hot tub, she showers and I dry off. I then sit in my office chair and
> check scores or email on the computer until she's done in the shower. The last couple of times,
> I've gotten a terrible rash just where my skin contacts the chair. My wife suggests that it could
> be a reaction between the spa chemicals on my skin and something on the chair. We use bromine in
> our spa. Does this sound plausible to anyone? From now on I'm showering afterward and avoiding
> this chair.
>
> Thanks

"MSEagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:jTWlb.4782$275.10229@attbi_s53...
> I am almost positive your rash is from the bromine. Many people, myself included, get a horrible
> rash from bromine facilities (hot tubs and
pools).
> I was able to swim in it for several years before I got the rash, and then it got progressively
> worse until I figured out what it was. Now, if I am
in
> a facility that has bromine and the air is not well circulated, I will get
a
> rash from the air even if I never set foot in the water, so be careful.
>
> Marianne

I have been swimming in a bromine pool for a year now without any rash at all. I used to get streaks
of red on my arms and legs while swimming in the chlorine pool. I had to go to a dermatologist,
even. The only thing that made the rash go away was when the Ortho doc put my leg in a cast. I told
him that would keep me out of the pool, and he got a laugh out of that. Then, later, I told the
Dermatologist that the Ortho guy cured the rash--and when he inquired as to how, I told him with a
cast. He was silent for a moment or two, and then said, "That seems a little severe to me." But,
really, I have not had ANY problems with the bromine.

Pat in TX

again, just catching up on an older post, buuutt...

bromine probably wouldn't be the cause of this unless you have a specific reaction to it. i can
probably suggest one of a few things it could be, and again, it may not be also...

1) check the pH balance and water chemistry with greater regularity. hot tub
= small compared to a pool, and therefore taking care of the chem and
cleaning is more important.

2) how often do you clean your tub? in the warm environs of the hot tub produce bacteria that can
also cause an accute reaction.

3)it may just be a heat reaction. also, the chair you sit in - is it a man made material in contact
with your skin?

good luck..hope you solve the problem :)

steve

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "MSEagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:jTWlb.4782$275.10229@attbi_s53...
> > I am almost positive your rash is from the bromine. Many people, myself included, get a horrible
> > rash from bromine facilities (hot tubs and
> pools).
> > I was able to swim in it for several years before I got the rash, and
then
> > it got progressively worse until I figured out what it was. Now, if I am
> in
> > a facility that has bromine and the air is not well circulated, I will
get
> a
> > rash from the air even if I never set foot in the water, so be careful.
> >
> > Marianne
>
> I have been swimming in a bromine pool for a year now without any rash at all. I used to get
> streaks of red on my arms and legs while swimming in
the
> chlorine pool. I had to go to a dermatologist, even. The only thing that made the rash go away was
> when the Ortho doc put my leg in a cast. I told him that would keep me out of the pool, and he got
> a laugh out of that. Then, later, I told the Dermatologist that the Ortho guy cured the
rash--and
> when he inquired as to how, I told him with a cast. He was silent for a moment or two, and then
> said, "That seems a little severe to me." But, really, I have not had ANY problems with the
> bromine.
>
> Pat in TX

I swam in bromine for 7 years without a problem which is why the rash cause was so hard to determine
since I had changed nothing in my routine . After being treated with Prednisone to clear the rash, I
went to only chorine pools with no problem. Once I started getting the rash, the bromine problem was
not limited to the original facility where I developed the rash. I have since met many people who
have had this bromine rash, so if nothing else works, it is worth considering.

Marianne

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "MSEagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:jTWlb.4782$275.10229@attbi_s53...
> > I am almost positive your rash is from the bromine. Many people, myself included, get a horrible
> > rash from bromine facilities (hot tubs and
> pools).
> > I was able to swim in it for several years before I got the rash, and
then
> > it got progressively worse until I figured out what it was. Now, if I am
> in
> > a facility that has bromine and the air is not well circulated, I will
get
> a
> > rash from the air even if I never set foot in the water, so be careful.
> >
> > Marianne
>
> I have been swimming in a bromine pool for a year now without any rash at all. I used to get
> streaks of red on my arms and legs while swimming in
the
> chlorine pool. I had to go to a dermatologist, even. The only thing that made the rash go away was
> when the Ortho doc put my leg in a cast. I told him that would keep me out of the pool, and he got
> a laugh out of that. Then, later, I told the Dermatologist that the Ortho guy cured the
rash--and
> when he inquired as to how, I told him with a cast. He was silent for a moment or two, and then
> said, "That seems a little severe to me." But, really, I have not had ANY problems with the
> bromine.
>
> Pat in TX

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I'm going to drain it clean it out real good, and switch to
chlorine. I'll let you know the results.

Thanks again,

Rick

"MSEagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<ZPhmb.19430$Fm2.9589@attbi_s04>...
> I swam in bromine for 7 years without a problem which is why the rash cause was so hard to
> determine since I had changed nothing in my routine . After being treated with Prednisone to clear
> the rash, I went to only chorine pools with no problem. Once I started getting the rash, the
> bromine problem was not limited to the original facility where I developed the rash. I have since
> met many people who have had this bromine rash, so if nothing else works, it is worth considering.
>
> Marianne
>
> "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "MSEagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:jTWlb.4782$275.10229@attbi_s53...
> > > I am almost positive your rash is from the bromine. Many people, myself included, get a
> > > horrible rash from bromine facilities (hot tubs and
> pools).
> > > I was able to swim in it for several years before I got the rash, and
> then
> > > it got progressively worse until I figured out what it was. Now, if I am
> in
> > > a facility that has bromine and the air is not well circulated, I will
> get a
> > > rash from the air even if I never set foot in the water, so be careful.
> > >
> > > Marianne
> >
> > I have been swimming in a bromine pool for a year now without any rash at all. I used to get
> > streaks of red on my arms and legs while swimming in
> the
> > chlorine pool. I had to go to a dermatologist, even. The only thing that made the rash go away
> > was when the Ortho doc put my leg in a cast. I told him that would keep me out of the pool, and
> > he got a laugh out of that. Then, later, I told the Dermatologist that the Ortho guy cured the
> rash--and
> > when he inquired as to how, I told him with a cast. He was silent for a moment or two, and then
> > said, "That seems a little severe to me." But, really, I have not had ANY problems with the
> > bromine.
> >
> > Pat in TX
> >

I am looking forward to your report.

Marianne

"Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I'm going to drain it clean it out real good, and switch
> to chlorine. I'll let you know the results.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Rick
>
> "MSEagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<ZPhmb.19430$Fm2.9589@attbi_s04>...
> > I swam in bromine for 7 years without a problem which is why the rash
cause
> > was so hard to determine since I had changed nothing in my routine .
After
> > being treated with Prednisone to clear the rash, I went to only chorine pools with no problem.
> > Once I started getting the rash, the bromine problem was not limited to
the
> > original facility where I developed the rash. I have since met many
people
> > who have had this bromine rash, so if nothing else works, it is worth considering.
> >
> > Marianne
> >
> > "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "MSEagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:jTWlb.4782$275.10229@attbi_s53...
> > > > I am almost positive your rash is from the bromine. Many people,
myself
> > > > included, get a horrible rash from bromine facilities (hot tubs and
> > pools).
> > > > I was able to swim in it for several years before I got the rash,
and
> > then
> > > > it got progressively worse until I figured out what it was. Now, if
I am
> > in
> > > > a facility that has bromine and the air is not well circulated, I
will
> > get a
> > > > rash from the air even if I never set foot in the water, so be
careful.
> > > >
> > > > Marianne
> > >
> > > I have been swimming in a bromine pool for a year now without any rash
at
> > > all. I used to get streaks of red on my arms and legs while swimming
in
> > the
> > > chlorine pool. I had to go to a dermatologist, even. The only thing
that
> > > made the rash go away was when the Ortho doc put my leg in a cast. I
told
> > > him that would keep me out of the pool, and he got a laugh out of
that.
> > > Then, later, I told the Dermatologist that the Ortho guy cured the
> > rash--and
> > > when he inquired as to how, I told him with a cast. He was silent for
a
> > > moment or two, and then said, "That seems a little severe to me."
But,
> > > really, I have not had ANY problems with the bromine.
> > >
> > > Pat in TX
> > >
>