Hot weather and training

flapsupcleanup

Aug 14, 2004
Every year as it heats up I seem to suffer more than most of my riding buds. And since most days are rideable and there are group rides most days, I keep going out with the groups, suffering mightily and trying to acclimate, which in the past has not worked out too well.

But I'm wondering if part of the problem is simply the nature of group rides with their short bursts and lots of L2 causing a loss of fitness? I spend lots of trainer time in the winter with 2x20's, etc but rarely do that in the summer. I'm considering doing more trainer work in the summer (L4 and SST) and doing it in a cool environment where I can put out full power for the intervals. Certainly I'll keep many of the group rides (in the heat, of course) but maybe this will improve my overall performance. Any thoughts?

From my experience you will get more benefit from actually being on the road. If it is too hot during the day try riding in the morning or in the evening. During these rides you could do some LT training or some long tempo efforts with a few short sprints to really work the aerobic system. Remember you ride like you train, so if you train slow and easy you will ride slow no matter how hard you wish you could go.

I guess I am confused. Is your problem the heat, or is it your fitness? If you are suffering because of the heat, your only choice is to continue to train in the heat so that your body gets acclimated to it and so that you have opportunities to figure out what your body needs when the temps go up (more water, sports drink, gu?).

If you are losing fitness during the season (something that would surprise me if you are riding regularly) then I do recommend some interval training. But I would do your intervals on the road (unless it's raining, in which case do them on the trainer). For intervals, I usually alternate months of threshold work with months of VO2 work.

Here's where I'm coming from...

I've read that a person's power output capability goes down with increasing temperature, and that makes sense to me because the body has to be cooled. So if that is true then doesn't it make sense to do your intervals at as high a power as possible? Which would mean indoors at this time of year.

Of course, I realize that one has to acclimate to the heat and I'm not trying to advocate tons of indoor work, but I'm thinking that one indoor day a week dedicated to various intervals would provide more benefit than that day being the normal group ride with a handful of killer bursts followed by lots of softpedaling.

Or, as an alternate possibility, should I do the same intervals, only outside in the heat and therefore at a reduced power? Do I get the same adaptations riding 20 minute intervals in the heat and humidity at say 235w as I would riding them on the trainer at 265w?

flapsupcleanup said:
Every year as it heats up I seem to suffer more than most of my riding buds. And since most days are rideable and there are group rides most days, I keep going out with the groups, suffering mightily and trying to acclimate, which in the past has not worked out too well.

But I'm wondering if part of the problem is simply the nature of group rides with their short bursts and lots of L2 causing a loss of fitness? I spend lots of trainer time in the winter with 2x20's, etc but rarely do that in the summer. I'm considering doing more trainer work in the summer (L4 and SST) and doing it in a cool environment where I can put out full power for the intervals. Certainly I'll keep many of the group rides (in the heat, of course) but maybe this will improve my overall performance. Any thoughts?

It may be because of "all of the above"...
... plus some.

You might not be fit enough to stay with your friends and deal with the short bursts. Is this the case on cooler days as well as hot? Stick a note in your training diary and see if a pattern shows up.

If you're wearing clothes or a helmet that doesn't allow good ventilation then maybe that could be a player in your woes. Excessive heat = bad.

It may be that summer presents other, weather based, challenges. Mild allergies? Most weather websites will report on allergy levels for most areas. If you suffered that day take a look. You don't need to suffer from allergies that bad for it to become and issue when you're eyeballs out, riding on the rivet trying to hold onto a wheel thats inching away.

Do you take electrolyte supplements to replace, in a balanced way, lost minerals and salts? It may be a dietry concern. Again, it doesn't take much to cause a small percentage of power less and that wheel infront of you is slowly heading off up the road....