Hotel/condo reccomendation for Kona?

Diana

Guest
Can anyone suggest a nice place to stay for the Hawaii IM?
I'm bringing my husband and two girls, ages 7 and 5, with
me. Thanks, Diana

Originally posted by Diana
Can anyone suggest a nice place to stay for the Hawaii IM?
I'm bringing my husband and two girls, ages 7 and 5, with
me. Thanks, Diana

Stay away from the very close King Kamahamaha hotel near the swim start with kids. The Hilton Waikaola village (up north along the queen K highway) is about the nicest resort that I have ever stayed at. It is about a 20 min drive up the qeen K. They have a camp to drop off kids, can train on the actual bike course, ocean swim, etc. Extremely nice place for a little vacation prior to/after IM. I highly recommend it. They have a very nice website as well.

Diana,

The King Kam is certainly not the nicest place to stay but
it is about the most convenient. Everything is centered
around it. On race morning it gives you the opportunity to
sleep in a bit longer, access to all your personal needs
right up to the start canon. I have always tried to stay
there and found it acceptable though old. It is convenient
for all the pre race check in so that you are not stressed
getting through the traffic jams etc. Uncle Billie's would
be my second choice but any that are with in a 1/4 mile of
the start line are fine even if not offering the upper crust
facilities. You will not be hassled trying to locate a
parking place early race morning.

Ken @ Kauai

"Diana" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone suggest a nice place to stay for the Hawaii IM?
> I'm bringing my husband and two girls, ages 7 and 5, with
> me. Thanks, Diana

Thanks for the feedback. I keep going back and forth
regarding staying close by for convenience (especially with
the kids wanting to see Mommy start and finish, and staying
further away but nicer accomodations/more amenities. I tend
to like being away from all the commotion race week, but
also like being close by race morning and after the race. I
also like the idea of a condo to make some of our meals. Any
thoughts on that?

Diana

I won a lottery slot. Should I make hotel reservations now?
I'm thinking I will wait until after my verification race in
late July.

MK

news:<[email protected]>...

[email protected] (Diana) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Can anyone suggest a nice place to stay for the Hawaii IM?
> I'm bringing my husband and two girls, ages 7 and 5, with
> me. Thanks, Diana

My personal favorite is the Kona Tiki, on Alii Drive about a
mile south of race headquarters. It's not fancy--no a.c. or
t.v., for example--but it is very comfortable, friendly and
low key. Also reasonable.

The last time I stayed there was '99, and nearly all of the
other occupants were Australians or New Zealanders. I had
friends stay there last year, and they loved it--but, then,
they're my friends.

It's a two-story building with about 20 rooms. Second-floor
rooms have private lanais overlooking a small bay and have
excellent crossflow ventilation. You're no more than 50 feet
from the water, and the swim turnaround is immediately
offshore. Learn more here:

http://www.konatiki.com/

David

Thanks. I have another question. For those of you that stayed a mile
or more away from the start:

Was it difficult driving in race morning? I could get a ride
in and be dropped off. However, is it hard for spectators to
get around during the day?

Diana

[email protected] (David Schoonmaker) wrote in
message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Diana) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Can anyone suggest a nice place to stay for the Hawaii
> > IM? I'm bringing my husband and two girls, ages 7 and 5,
> > with me. Thanks, Diana
>
> My personal favorite is the Kona Tiki, on Alii Drive about
> a mile south of race headquarters. It's not fancy--no a.c.
> or t.v., for example--but it is very comfortable, friendly
> and low key. Also reasonable.
>
> The last time I stayed there was '99, and nearly all of
> the other occupants were Australians or New Zealanders. I
> had friends stay there last year, and they loved it--but,
> then, they're my friends.
>
> It's a two-story building with about 20 rooms. Second-
> floor rooms have private lanais overlooking a small bay
> and have excellent crossflow ventilation. You're no more
> than 50 feet from the water, and the swim turnaround is
> immediately offshore. Learn more here:
>
> http://www.konatiki.com/
>
> David

[email protected] (Diana) wrote;
> For those of you that stayed a mile or more away from
> the start:
>
> Was it difficult driving in race morning? I could get a
> ride in and be dropped off. However, is it hard for
> spectators to get around during the day?
>
> Diana

Not if you go down to the pier early. I stayed several miles
down Alii Drive but easily drove down to less than 1/2 mile
from the pier and parked with no problem at about 5:00 am.
Of course, then I had to walk about 1/2 mile to my rental
car after IM Hawaii, but it wasn't too bad. I was also able
to leave when I wanted to.

One of the advantages of Kailua-Kona is that it is small,
and the race venue is very centralized, so even though there
are tons of people, it's easy for spectators to wander
around. You can forget about driving through town on race
day though. My wife is a pro at getting to the good spots,
but she told me that it was relatively easy to get to see
all the action. I saw her several times throughout the race.
I can't recall if they have T2 at the old airport still, but
even the split transitions are a pretty short walk apart.

About the place to stay...I prefer condos, far superior to
hotels in my opinion, and usually about the same cost.
There are tons of them along Alii, but you probably should
book early. Triathletes tend to make reservations waaaayyy
in advance.

Have a great time! IM Hawaii and the week leading up to it
is awesome.

"Troy Drake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
><<SNIP> I saw her several times throughout the race. I
>can't recall if they have T2 at the old airport still, but
>even the split transitions are a pretty short walk apart.

Off topic alert... : )

When was T2 moved to the airport? I did this race in '88 and
T2 was in the parking lot of the Kona Resort, a few miles
down Alii Drive.

I always assumed that the course layout had not changed(?).

I have never been back. Life came calling... : )

rsquared