Hotel/condo reccomendation for Kona?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Diana, Apr 14, 2004.

  1. Diana

    Diana Guest

    Can anyone suggest a nice place to stay for the Hawaii IM?
    I'm bringing my husband and two girls, ages 7 and 5, with
    me. Thanks, Diana

    Tags:

  2. rroof

    rroof New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2003
    Stay away from the very close King Kamahamaha hotel near the swim start with kids. The Hilton Waikaola village (up north along the queen K highway) is about the nicest resort that I have ever stayed at. It is about a 20 min drive up the qeen K. They have a camp to drop off kids, can train on the actual bike course, ocean swim, etc. Extremely nice place for a little vacation prior to/after IM. I highly recommend it. They have a very nice website as well.

  3. Imken

    Imken Guest

    Diana,

    The King Kam is certainly not the nicest place to stay but
    it is about the most convenient. Everything is centered
    around it. On race morning it gives you the opportunity to
    sleep in a bit longer, access to all your personal needs
    right up to the start canon. I have always tried to stay
    there and found it acceptable though old. It is convenient
    for all the pre race check in so that you are not stressed
    getting through the traffic jams etc. Uncle Billie's would
    be my second choice but any that are with in a 1/4 mile of
    the start line are fine even if not offering the upper crust
    facilities. You will not be hassled trying to locate a
    parking place early race morning.

    Ken @ Kauai

    "Diana" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone suggest a nice place to stay for the Hawaii IM?
    > I'm bringing my husband and two girls, ages 7 and 5, with
    > me. Thanks, Diana

  4. Diana

    Diana Guest

    Thanks for the feedback. I keep going back and forth
    regarding staying close by for convenience (especially with
    the kids wanting to see Mommy start and finish, and staying
    further away but nicer accomodations/more amenities. I tend
    to like being away from all the commotion race week, but
    also like being close by race morning and after the race. I
    also like the idea of a condo to make some of our meals. Any
    thoughts on that?

    Diana

  5. M Kochanski

    M Kochanski Guest

    I won a lottery slot. Should I make hotel reservations now?
    I'm thinking I will wait until after my verification race in
    late July.

    MK

    news:<[email protected]>...

  6. [email protected] (Diana) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Can anyone suggest a nice place to stay for the Hawaii IM?
    > I'm bringing my husband and two girls, ages 7 and 5, with
    > me. Thanks, Diana

    My personal favorite is the Kona Tiki, on Alii Drive about a
    mile south of race headquarters. It's not fancy--no a.c. or
    t.v., for example--but it is very comfortable, friendly and
    low key. Also reasonable.

    The last time I stayed there was '99, and nearly all of the
    other occupants were Australians or New Zealanders. I had
    friends stay there last year, and they loved it--but, then,
    they're my friends.

    It's a two-story building with about 20 rooms. Second-floor
    rooms have private lanais overlooking a small bay and have
    excellent crossflow ventilation. You're no more than 50 feet
    from the water, and the swim turnaround is immediately
    offshore. Learn more here:

    http://www.konatiki.com/

    David

  7. Diana

    Diana Guest

    Thanks. I have another question. For those of you that stayed a mile
    or more away from the start:

    Was it difficult driving in race morning? I could get a ride
    in and be dropped off. However, is it hard for spectators to
    get around during the day?

    Diana

    [email protected] (David Schoonmaker) wrote in
    message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Diana) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Can anyone suggest a nice place to stay for the Hawaii
    > > IM? I'm bringing my husband and two girls, ages 7 and 5,
    > > with me. Thanks, Diana
    >
    > My personal favorite is the Kona Tiki, on Alii Drive about
    > a mile south of race headquarters. It's not fancy--no a.c.
    > or t.v., for example--but it is very comfortable, friendly
    > and low key. Also reasonable.
    >
    > The last time I stayed there was '99, and nearly all of
    > the other occupants were Australians or New Zealanders. I
    > had friends stay there last year, and they loved it--but,
    > then, they're my friends.
    >
    > It's a two-story building with about 20 rooms. Second-
    > floor rooms have private lanais overlooking a small bay
    > and have excellent crossflow ventilation. You're no more
    > than 50 feet from the water, and the swim turnaround is
    > immediately offshore. Learn more here:
    >
    > http://www.konatiki.com/
    >
    > David

  8. Troy Drake

    Troy Drake Guest

    [email protected] (Diana) wrote;
    > For those of you that stayed a mile or more away from
    > the start:
    >
    > Was it difficult driving in race morning? I could get a
    > ride in and be dropped off. However, is it hard for
    > spectators to get around during the day?
    >
    > Diana

    Not if you go down to the pier early. I stayed several miles
    down Alii Drive but easily drove down to less than 1/2 mile
    from the pier and parked with no problem at about 5:00 am.
    Of course, then I had to walk about 1/2 mile to my rental
    car after IM Hawaii, but it wasn't too bad. I was also able
    to leave when I wanted to.

    One of the advantages of Kailua-Kona is that it is small,
    and the race venue is very centralized, so even though there
    are tons of people, it's easy for spectators to wander
    around. You can forget about driving through town on race
    day though. My wife is a pro at getting to the good spots,
    but she told me that it was relatively easy to get to see
    all the action. I saw her several times throughout the race.
    I can't recall if they have T2 at the old airport still, but
    even the split transitions are a pretty short walk apart.

    About the place to stay...I prefer condos, far superior to
    hotels in my opinion, and usually about the same cost.
    There are tons of them along Alii, but you probably should
    book early. Triathletes tend to make reservations waaaayyy
    in advance.

    Have a great time! IM Hawaii and the week leading up to it
    is awesome.

  9. Rsquared

    Rsquared Guest

    "Troy Drake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    ><<SNIP> I saw her several times throughout the race. I
    >can't recall if they have T2 at the old airport still, but
    >even the split transitions are a pretty short walk apart.

    Off topic alert... : )

    When was T2 moved to the airport? I did this race in '88 and
    T2 was in the parking lot of the Kona Resort, a few miles
    down Alii Drive.

    I always assumed that the course layout had not changed(?).

    I have never been back. Life came calling... : )

    rsquared