hotness on wheels (actually, the wheels are the hotness)

nerdag said:
Forgive my ignorance, but what is it about the design that negates the need for truing at one stage or another?

n
Carbon is very, very hard to permanently 'bend', the resin is brittle. The spokes are solidly laminated into the rim all the way up to the tyre bed, eliminating moving parts so, in theory, spoke tension cannot be changed. Oh yeah, the spokes are a kevlar/carbon mix with the ability to hold 1200kg per spoke, and each spoke runs around the hub in a 120 degree bend. Amazing engineering, but you are in for a hefty repair bill for one broken spoke and a new wheelset if you break two (or is it three).

Anyway, you'd expect em to be good retailing for $7,500 AUD.

To answer the previous questions: They are not up to the standard of Zipp rim wheels, but they rank higher than most round & bladed alloy shallow rims. You buy them for stiffness and weight, though. Their hubs are amazing quality too. There is no choice in spoke colours, I'd personally rather have all black, but these wheels are function over form. I'll get a pic in a month or two with the all-black LEW Pro VT-1 wheels (My boss is a legend. You should see his bikes).

Eventually my Neuvations will be replaced by Pro-Lite Stelvios, a lighter, stiffer, more aero wheelset which will be possible due to the generous help from the owner of Crank n' Cycles. if you're in the SW of WA, come and have a look.

My boss's bike
orca07complete.jpg
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=16847

lava said:
Here's mine. Not quite as beautiful as Bobby's, but it's all I can afford right now. But I think BMC is my new "lust" brand.

bike.jpg

Apparently your bike has a dog friendly smell!

bobbyOCR said:
Please post pics of your own bikes (this forum needs a thread like this)
Nice. My race wheels are being built now, when they're done I'll post a picture of my baby. I built her from the frame up one part at a time. Very rewarding.

Pad

P.S. If you want to spend hours looking at other peoples bike pics, go here...

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t41866.html

It's unlikely that a user of Lightweight wheels will get laughed out of the peloton since a fair number of riders in the ProTour peloton use them anyway.

For people not liking the brown on Lightweight wheel spokes, Sharpie has a solution to that which works quite well.

Boss's bike: Propellor cranks? Form over function, eh? I gotta say that Orbea is one of the ugliest bikes I've seen.

Now there's a bike that would shatter if ever in an accident!

Bobby how about listing all the weight weenie parts he's used.

I don't think the bike is ugly, its meant to ride quite well, but clearly been styled rather than engineered. I have to say the forks look odd though.

I'm unlikely to ever visit that shop now, the owner is clearly making far too much money!! I'd guess that bike is worth over $15K AUD, but of course he gets discounts but even then well over $10K of parts that don't last long if he actually uses them.

OK.

1. They aren't propellor cranks, they are Tune bigfoot, one of the only WW cranks that comes in 180mm.
2. The frame is built for racing, none of the rest is (save lightweights)
3. He has a training Orca (06 model) and a racing Orca (also 06)
4. Of the top of my head
Cranks: Tune Bigfoot BB: Tune 6-pack

Rings: Fibrelyte 53/38 bolts: Tiso

Rear D: Tuned Dura Ace (@139g IIRC) Front D: tuned DA

Bars: Oval A900 Stem: 4 axis w/logos removed and Ti bolts

saddle: M2Racer sub 60g:eek: Post: KCNC Ti pro (Mine's coming)

Pedals: M2racer OrbII ti @99g for the pair Wheels: Lightweight Oby

Tyres: Vittoria Crono EVO (very light, very very weak) brakes: 0G-05

Cables: Powercordz Housings: Aztec powerlines

Lots of Nylon, Al and Ti bolts around the place, Tuned DA shifters

This clever little thing which compresses the headset externally (acts as a specer) underneath the stem and I forget what its called. I thinks its made by Tune or Extralite.

Glued on (now) bar 'caps' and top cap.

Sub 5.5Kg

Yes he spends wayyyyy too much money on bikes. He is currently trying to build an Astana team replica to be under 5 kg (hard cause he's 6 foot 4 or something stupid. Tall)

bobbyOCR said:
This clever little thing which compresses the headset externally (acts as a specer) underneath the stem and I forget what its called. I thinks its made by Tune or Extralite.

I don't think it's one of those. Extralite makes the Ultrastar, which is an internal thing (which I have....very light), and Tune makes the Gum Gum, which is also an internal thing.

Time and Easton make or have made external expanders. And there's another company whose name I can't think of......wait USE makes something......the Ringo Star or summat.......is that it?

alienator said:
I don't think it's one of those. Extralite makes the Ultrastar, which is an internal thing (which I have....very light), and Tune makes the Gum Gum, which is also an internal thing.

Time and Easton make or have made external expanders. And there's another company whose name I can't think of......wait USE makes something......the Ringo Star or summat.......is that it?
That's it. That's the one. Thanks.

We need to see your Moots with the AX and 'optimum level of blackness'

bobbyOCR said:
That's it. That's the one. Thanks.

We need to see your Moots with the AX and 'optimum level of blackness'

I'll do another piccie this weekend. I'm currently busy avoiding school work....and schmoozing a trip to Vegas courtesy of LEW. Heh. I've heard from a few riders, now, their thoughts after riding the LEWs, and I'm fairly impressed. I'm thinking that right now, the non plus ultra of wheels is the LEW wheelset. After that comes the new Mavics...at least on paper. And I'm itchin' to see what Edge Composites is releasing this year, and same for M5.

I used to lust after Lightweights, but I'm wary about some of the problems I've heard about and also wary about their non-aero spokes. I'm sure, though, that Lightweight has something on the drawing boards to compete with the LEWs and the new Mavic Ultimate Carbones. There is also word that LEW may release a wheelset visually identical to the VT-1's but 100g heavier (per set) and priced somewhere around $3500-$4000. We'll see. Of course, LEW is hinting at a 100% boron wheelset that is lighter than the VT-1's (maybe sub 800g??????) and of course, more expensive.

I do believe that I will, in the nearish future, be buying a set of LEWs........

I've heard the rumour about the 100% boron, at supposedly 700g per set.

It is good that lightweight (and I guess I'll give ADA a mention, though I hope cees doesn't dome into this) have competitiors. In a couple of months, I get to ride a set of LEWs as my boss has ordered and paid for a set and they are saying late this month. If they are as aero as they appear to be, this could be one formidable wheelset.

Right now I need to find a mtb track nearby. I crashed on the white Arione and now it looks like **** and is tearing holes in knicks. Anyone know of any tracks near Bunbury :D (Pile Road ain't an option)

bobbyOCR said:
I've heard the rumour about the 100% boron, at supposedly 700g per set.

It is good that lightweight (and I guess I'll give ADA a mention, though I hope cees doesn't dome into this) have competitiors. In a couple of months, I get to ride a set of LEWs as my boss has ordered and paid for a set and they are saying late this month. If they are as aero as they appear to be, this could be one formidable wheelset.

Right now I need to find a mtb track nearby. I crashed on the white Arione and now it looks like **** and is tearing holes in knicks. Anyone know of any tracks near Bunbury :D (Pile Road ain't an option)

Christ, you mentioned Cees. You spoke the name that should not be spoken! That guarantees that he will chime in.:rolleyes:

I just got off der phone with LEW, and I guess I'm going to the Red Rock resort, courtesy of them, at the end of the month. Woohoo! And as a bonus--and given my work in the past with such things--they're gonna let me tour the UAV part of the factory.

Okay guys, I'm looking at this thread because I'm trying to figure out if I get some race wheels for my tri bike, how do I decide what to get, and why? So many brands/styles. I assume reducing weight is the goal, but I don't know diddley......Of course price would be a factor - secondhand is okay. How do I go about this? I have an entry level bike (2003 model Trek 2000) Shimano 105's and 650c wheels. Help....:confused:

alleycat said:
Okay guys, I'm looking at this thread because I'm trying to figure out if I get some race wheels for my tri bike, how do I decide what to get, and why? So many brands/styles. I assume reducing weight is the goal, but I don't know diddley......Of course price would be a factor - secondhand is okay. How do I go about this? I have an entry level bike (2003 model Trek 2000) Shimano 105's and 650c wheels. Help....:confused:
Are you in the right thread? If you think you are, post a pic of your bike and your hijack may be forgiven.

Try Rolf wheels. They made some good value aero 650c

rudycyclist said:
How much do those wheels weigh?
Hey Rudy, can you tell me about your wheels please? The Bontrager carbon aeros. i am really considering these wheels and would like an opinion.To me they seem both aero and light weight but how is their durability? it is either these or the Aeolus wheelset, still trying to decide. Thanks for any info you may be able to pass on.;)