• 2 and 3

Votes: 271 50.4%
  • 3 and 4

Votes: 179 33.3%
  • > 4

Votes: 38 7.1%

• Total voters
Originally posted by ozzult1
Possibly because 5 hours of training per day would not leave enough energy to be able to complete a 25km TT??

Just to clarify, I was talking about 25 miles, which is 40km.

Originally posted by Shibumi
A 25 mile TT takes me 1 hour, so why train for much more than 1 hour? My shorter rides are not 'wimpy', they are very intense interval sessions! By the way, I won my first medal (3rd) last week!

I think getting the miles in over the winter is a good thing, but during the season, I prefer quality not quantity. Long rides over the winter provide a good endurance base. Thus I can cycle 40 miles with ease. My training in the season is therefore linked to making me go faster in a 25.

Congrats on your medal. Feels great when you win your first medal. I have a bunch of 3rds & 2nds, but no 1sts. Have never won a race.

Am having a similar debate with someone else over this issue. Guess we all train different. Just like diets, what may work for one person may not for someone else.

Good luck on further TT's........

Memph

Originally posted by Memphmann
Congrats on your medal. Feels great when you win your first medal. I have a bunch of 3rds & 2nds, but no 1sts. Have never won a race.

Am having a similar debate with someone else over this issue. Guess we all train different. Just like diets, what may work for one person may not for someone else.

Good luck on further TT's........

Memph

Shibumi: Sorry this post was addressed to you and not ozzult1.....

Memph

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Memphmann. Everyone is different, responds differently or prefers a different method (long slow vs. short high intensity).

Scientific evidence continues to suggest that short high intensity work gives the biggest boost to fitness for the time investment. Of that there is no doubt. Ric & 2LAP quote research in their replies saying similar.

But I think there's also a belief among a lot of us (myself included) that longer (obviously slower) training yeilds similar results, and better results in the long term. 4-6 weeks of race tune-up work is all I need to be at my best. Any longer than that and I start to suffer through the workouts with no race improvement. Certainly building the biggest aerobic base (and fitness) you can, even for 1km track TTs, will no do any harm at all and might give you that extra 1% you need to win.

I wonder if future scientific research will find the improvements from long workouts are more permanent (ie. make more permanent physical changes like mitochrondria & capilliary development) than the shorter high intensity interval workouts that many use just to get "race fit". I can't imagine the short high intensity workouts make too many 'permanent' (I know fitness is lost quickly, but can be regained quickly if you had it before) changes.

Originally posted by TTer
I think you've hit the nail on the head there Memphmann. Everyone is different, responds differently or prefers a different method (long slow vs. short high intensity).

Scientific evidence continues to suggest that short high intensity work gives the biggest boost to fitness for the time investment. Of that there is no doubt. Ric & 2LAP quote research in their replies saying similar.

But I think there's also a belief among a lot of us (myself included) that longer (obviously slower) training yeilds similar results, and better results in the long term. 4-6 weeks of race tune-up work is all I need to be at my best. Any longer than that and I start to suffer through the workouts with no race improvement. Certainly building the biggest aerobic base (and fitness) you can, even for 1km track TTs, will no do any harm at all and might give you that extra 1% you need to win.

I wonder if future scientific research will find the improvements from long workouts are more permanent (ie. make more permanent physical changes like mitochrondria & capilliary development) than the shorter high intensity interval workouts that many use just to get "race fit". I can't imagine the short high intensity workouts make too many 'permanent' (I know fitness is lost quickly, but can be regained quickly if you had it before) changes.

I am just riding the way I was told and shown by my trainer. He was not all talk, he could race. This was all the proof that was needed for me. But we shall all train how we feel benefits us. Myself, prefer longer rides...

Memph

I am just riding the way I was told and shown by my trainer. He was not all talk, he could race. This was all the proof that was needed for me. But we shall all train how we feel benefits us. Myself, prefer longer rides...

Memph

How do you manage 20+ hours of training a week? I pretty much work during almost all daylight hours, and dont have the daylight to ride in.. I can only manage an hour and a haf every other weekday and 5 or so hours on the weekend

Originally posted by i2ambler
How do you manage 20+ hours of training a week? I pretty much work during almost all daylight hours, and dont have the daylight to ride in.. I can only manage an hour and a haf every other weekday and 5 or so hours on the weekend

Easy, wake up at 3:30am, ride from 4am - 8ish. Back on bike at 8:30 for the 20 minute ride to work. In bed every night between 10-11pm. Monday I also ride after work for a few hours. Saturday and Sunday are work free, so able to pick my cycling start times.

Either I'm insane or love getting in shape to kick week-end butt....

Memph

It would be so great to be able to put in more hours on the bike. Too many of life's other obligations get in the way.
The tradeoffs you have to make when you want food and shelter.... what a shame.

Easy, wake up at 3:30am, ride from 4am - 8ish. Back on bike at 8:30 for the 20 minute ride to work. In bed every night between 10-11pm. Monday I also ride after work for a few hours. Saturday and Sunday are work free, so able to pick my cycling start times.

Memph

Unfortunately, Im shy about riding in the dark around here. THere are probably more than one crazy on the road at 5 am..

Usually some 90-120 minute rides during the week and around 45min when doing recovery. Typically i'd do a 3-4 hour ride on one of the weekend days.
That's all during the season, off season I'd do some more indoor work and 1-2 60-75 min rides during the week and a longer one in the weekend.

Happy training

Originally posted by rollers
It would be so great to be able to put in more hours on the bike. Too many of life's other obligations get in the way.
The tradeoffs you have to make when you want food and shelter.... what a shame.

I work FT and OT to boot and still manage to find time. Just sleep alittle less or give up tv and go to bed earlier. If you are serious then you'll find a way to ride......

Memph

Originally posted by i2ambler
Unfortunately, Im shy about riding in the dark around here. THere are probably more than one crazy on the road at 5 am..

I ride double laned streets that have lots of lights. I found a good 35km route that I do 3-4 times. Have to do what has to be done....

Memph

Memph

you are either crazy or gifted or both to be able to maintain that schedule.

Scratch that. You have to be both crazy and gifted to maintain that schedule.

Originally posted by rollers
you are either crazy or gifted or both to be able to maintain that schedule.

Scratch that. You have to be both crazy and gifted to maintain that schedule.

Thanx, but not gifted, just nuts. This is nothing, when I was in last year of Highschool. Lived on own, worked 60-70 hour week, trained, raced and graded school. Went on 3-4 hour sleep and caught up on week-ends.

Oh ya, forgot to mention that I also have a 4 year old son and 100lbs dog.

Memph

ps, happy pills assist me......

Lunch hour rides, about an hour; Saturday mornings, 2-3 hours; training rides in the morning before work, or in the dark, about 45 minutes.

1-2 hours - MTB
1-2 hours - Road

Once in awhile I'll go over 2 hours on the road.

I race mountain bike so I don't feel the need for 4, 5 or even 6 hours ride. Although If I raced pro I guess I wouldn't have any choice.
Got back into racing last year after 6 years of non racing and aiming for 1st next year.

Originally posted by reparent
1-2 hours - MTB
1-2 hours - Road

Once in awhile I'll go over 2 hours on the road.

I race mountain bike so I don't feel the need for 4, 5 or even 6 hours ride. Although If I raced pro I guess I wouldn't have any choice.
Got back into racing last year after 6 years of non racing and aiming for 1st next year.

Are those times in the same day? Great to have a goal to aim at. But in order to become #1 at higher level, takes more training then that...

Good Luck
Memph