Hours You Ride?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by EastCoast, Aug 16, 2003.

?

# Hours Your Ride Each Trip?

1. <= 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1 and 2

50 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. 2 and 3

271 vote(s)
    50.4%
  4. 3 and 4

179 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. > 4

38 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. velomanct

velomanct New Member

wow. don't the 4 hr rides leave you sore for the interval days? your lucky to be able to recover so quickly. my long day(sat) is 3.5-4hrs. it takes me 3 days of short easy rides ~1hr to recover fully after a real hard day. your week looks like a pro rider's week. 30hr weeks, damn.

2. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

Wish I was a pro, get paid to do what I enjoy. Plus would not have to work after rides. But sadly, my age shall keep this a dream. Does not mean I can't train like mad & see what develops.

This was my training times for summer & fall. Since I live in the Great White North, unable to ride outside most days of winter. This winter has been different. Rode outside past Sunday and today (2hrs, weather +7C for Dec 23rd). Now my days are not as crazy. Wake up, walk dog 1 hr, ride my wind trainer (CycleOps fluid) 1 hr. Go to work :( come home eat summer, do exercises & ride another 1- 1 1/2 hrs. This metabolism is still working as I sleep. Morning wal & ride on empty stomach

Do not fully recover after every ride. But this works best for me. Did in the past. If I feel really exhaust, might make Saturday ride shorter........

Memph

3. will1988

will1988 New Member

However long the girlfriend will allow.

4. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

Alittle whipped are we???? :)

Memph

5. zaskar

zaskar New Member

6. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

No, wife is usually still sleeping...

Memph

7. ouzo

ouzo New Member

Do you guys actually do anything else beside cycling and working. Heck, I get home at 17:30, ride for 30 - 60 minutes, by that time the sun is getting low and so is my energy. Get home, shower and get stuck into some household chores.

In the morning I do 20 - 30 minutes easy riding on the mag trainer and then off to work.

Saturdays are spent doing gardening and the like and sunday morning is my long ride +/-2 hrs. whe I get back from that it's more household stuff like fixing this and fixing that etc.

8. Mark Andrews

Mark Andrews New Member

I cycle a reasonably hard 2 hrs. every couple of days and use the recovery days to cycle an easy hour or so.

I spin everyday on either trainer, mtb or road bike although the main purpose of my training is to greater my strength on the road.

9. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Yes, I'm in the same boat as you - career and wife mean that I cannot cycle as much as I would like to (and I've got to be honest here, as you get older, you do tend to take the easier options as well).

But here goes : in winter, I try to do 1 hour per day on the indoor
    trainer, each day.
    In Spring, Summer and Autumn, I try to get out perhaps twice
    during the week and do a 2 hour session each time.
    Weekends - Saturday : 2-3 hours and this will go up to 4-5
    by the summer.
    Sunday I try to 2 hours.
    But my training is dependent upon how busy I am at work.

10. sheppard

sheppard New Member

I don't want to assume things here, but is the motivation behind the question is something like "How much does it take?" If so, the answer doesn't necessarily have to be a number. It's not necessarily how much you ride, although you'll probably find the pros ride more than the non-pros, it's HOW you ride. Intensity and duration need both be considered. Be wary of riding hours and hours each day. As human beings, we need time for recovery.... and if you get started out of enjoyment, as do 99% of people, try not to forget it. I think too many people lose track of why they ride and get caught up in the numbers.

11. hwttdz

hwttdz New Member

It's worth noting that Sebastian Coe ran only 50 miles a week, which any distance runner can tell you is not very much. Sir Roger Bannister, the first man to run a sub four minute mile ran only 28 miles a week, which is absurdly low. On the other end of the spectrum many top runners run over 100 miles a week, and some big distance guys push 150, (maybe even more, most I ever ran was 70ish).

12. Guzzi Rider

Guzzi Rider New Member

Sundays 3-4 hours
    MOndaysWenesday off
    tues thurs 1hr am 1 pm
    Fri 2 hours am
    SAturday Whatever..
    This seems to be the routine at the moment. I just started riding gain after a 10 rehab from Breaking both knees. I quit smoking in September and built a single speed bike to ride.....
    Now I'm in trouble ;-)
    J

13. Carrera

Carrera New Member

Today I found a very good way to train. First of all, I finished work at 6.00 a.m. but left at 5.50 a.m. (sneakily). Then I went hell for leather with the idea of getting into bed as quickly as possible. I'm not kidding, some 20 minutes later I was back home, pouring with sweat and wringing out my shirt.
    Unfortunately I could only sleep for a couple of hours so I got up and remounted my bike - with the aim of finding a cycle repair shop to fix my crank bracket. To cut a long story short, I've cycled all day long from shop to shop, town to town and finally I was able to hand my bike in for repairs.
    All my riding today was done purely for transport purposes, as opposed to leisure cycling. I'm not done yet either as I'll have to take a bus several miles to the shop and then ride back. Today has been an exception to be honest.
    I agree with what has been said, though. Usually I can get a good workout in just an hour or so but I think you have to do some serious miles once a week.

14. starship

starship New Member

Only 9-16 miles a ride now, 5-6 times a week. Ask me again next year. Did more mile last month than last year!

15. steve007

steve007 New Member

4-7 hours Monday to Friday
    Saturday/Sunday recovery

I work from home and tend to work at night, so have the day free.

Health, Fitness, Bike always comes first anyway.

16. Matt Woodthorpe

Matt Woodthorpe New Member

If I don’t get out for at least 1 hour each day, I get the shakes, 2 hours plus feeds my addiction perfectly. England in the summer is great for cycling, green for as far as you can see, and all the flies you can eat, yum yum. I am lucky, as I am a psychiatric nurse and therefore work shifts, allowing me to get out when the kids are locked up at nursery or school.
    I am just about to change my bike, but can’t decide if to keep to flat bars or go to a road bike. I just put a deposit on a Claude Butler Chinook (that’s a quality British bike built in China) Flat bar, but feel a strange force dragging toward the Lycra gang on road bikes?
    Please help

17. steve007

steve007 New Member

haha know where you are coming from matt. I'm the same, need my fix.

I ride for anything between 3 and 6 hours, sometimes more.

And yeah, if someone can come up with some device to stop flies going in my gob when I'm riding, let me know!

18. kd2he

kd2he New Member

I average about 1.5 hours. The longest over the past year was about 3 hours at an average speed of from 17-20 mph.

victor

19. mike7382

mike7382 New Member

I have to say about 2 to 3 hours a day.

20. smallyke

smallyke New Member

yeah coe is an example of high quality work.He did every one mile of them
    at a pace higher then 70% of his vo2max and most even a lot higher like 30x100meter sprint and other crazy But thats few even for a middle distance runner.What makes me wonder even more how he comes to his low weight 120lbs for a matching 5'9"5 frame

(note that a skeleton weights 6lbs maybe 7-8 if youre really heavy boned...and a little more if youre taller or body builder) but compare youre weight to his

he must have been on super diet regimen
    or so?Any one any info on his diet?

To bad he was not from my time(now :d) i really would have loved him seeing him running the memmorial van damme.Maybe that weight is also one of his ideas on running training that scientist havent discovered yet...
    If anyone has some info about him please say so