Votes: 50 9.3%
  • 2 and 3

Votes: 271 50.4%
  • 3 and 4

Votes: 179 33.3%
  • > 4

Votes: 38 7.1%

• Total voters
I currently work about 60 hrs/week, so I don't really have a lot of spare time for riding. I live only 3 miles from work, but I've started extending my morning commute so that it's an hour ride.

Less than 1 hour when I commute (getting less as I get faster :D ). Up to 2 hours for a morning training before work or satureday afternoon. *But* - unlimited when travelling on weekends, holidays and vacations, from dawn to dusk, with as few as possible short breaks. I usually refrain from cycling at night though - it could be dangerous on the road and the view is boring:rolleyes:

Sat and Sun-2 Hrs Weekdays- I do spinning-twice for 45 min full intensity. Whenever I can during the week I sneak 1.5 hr ride. Funny it seems, before having my son(my wife having my son) , I rode almost everyday 1-2 hrs and weekends 2-4 hrs but I did not progress and was burning out. Now, my rides are more intense. I can ride with groups I could not have then (too fast) and the passion has returned.

Sometimes Less is more!

Besides, watching the young ladies sweating in the short tights at spinning class is inspirational...(Hey, look but don't touch!!!):)

Memphmann said:
That is strange. Do you do well in these with such little wimpy rides?
The reason I mention this is because Curt Harnett, one of my countries greatest riders (actually have rode with him :) ) in the 1km TT and match sprint. Both of these shorter then your distance. Would still train 3-5 hours daily. Strange how you race further but feel the need to train less. Guess this is why he won medals......

Memph
3-4/5 DEPENDING UPON HOW LOST I GET :D

Utilitarian commuter...
The same nine or ten miles each way, each school day (teacher). On a good day with my HRM attached for inspiration I can make the trip in under forty minutes. In inclement weather, less-than-perky health, it takes close to an hour. So, most "trips" are under an hour, but I do TEN of them every week, more if I do weekend errands.

Memphmann said:
That is strange. Do you do well in these with such little wimpy rides?
The reason I mention this is because Curt Harnett, one of my countries greatest riders (actually have rode with him :) ) in the 1km TT and match sprint. Both of these shorter then your distance. Would still train 3-5 hours daily. Strange how you race further but feel the need to train less. Guess this is why he won medals......

Memph

Memphmann: How do you train up there in Canada with all the ice & snow?

Pete Pensyres, the man who won more transamerica races than anyone, found that simply piling on the training hours wasnt nearly as beneficial as mixing in sprints, crits, and weekend races. His early training was all saddle time, then when he started getting beat, he added the speed drills and backed off the mileage, and his results started to skyrocket. www.the-bike-shop.com/training

just spinning.. 2-4 hours a day 4-5 times a week... until the sun keeps shining at least!!!... sun in dicembre... keep thinking im dreaming!!

prestonjb said:
Ugh.. There are no hills in South Florida... Only wind, bridges and cars.
This is why we mountain bike! And some of those bridges SUCK. The San Antonio area (just north of Tampa has some decent hills {for FL, anyway})

EastCoast said:
How many hours do you ride each trip?
Guess I have to say 2 - 3 hours. This time of year spend more time on my trainer and am more in the 1-2 hour range, focusing mostly on endurance (moderate heart rate (HR) training). During warmer weather however I have a 40 mile loop that I do pretty regularly which I finish in about 2:05 - 2:25 depending on whether I am focusing on strength (high HR) or endurance (moderate HR).

joule said:
Guess I have to say 2 - 3 hours. This time of year spend more time on my trainer and am more in the 1-2 hour range, focusing mostly on endurance (moderate heart rate (HR) training). During warmer weather however I have a 40 mile loop that I do pretty regularly which I finish in about 2:05 - 2:25 depending on whether I am focusing on strength (high HR) or endurance (moderate HR).
when you say trainer! what trainer do you use, i've always tryed to put abit of time on the bike on the road, but when the weather has been to bad i haven't been able to train, well this week i have invested in a trainer (Tacx Virtual reality Trainer 1900) I was wonder if anyone else out there was using one of these or something similar? apparently it has software that you can upload competetors, now i thought this would be fun to compete against other users on the forum from other countries without even leaving the home.

Hopefully, i'll still be able to use it in the evenings even after work, more hours i'm hoping for. I have a 40mile loop that has quite severe climbs on my journey, these are usually only completed at 7/9 mph and i only throw it in as part for hill climbs its 56Degrees ongoing for about 800/1000m its a killer but it sure warms the legs up for a 50mph winding decent for over a mile

I have a Kinetic Road Machine. Recently aquired thanks to my loving wife. So far am happy with it but have not had it long enough to really give it a proper workout/review. Prior to the trainer was riding rollers (Cortina to those old racers out there) regularly after work. Consider a heart rate monitor too as it will help you focus your training (see various threads here on this forum). As this is my first real year of training for a race or two, figured I'd best get serious with the right equipment and dedication to bike time in the off-season. Expectations are not very high this year, just get plenty of endurance miles in and a few races for future metrics. After all, at 47, it's as much about the health as it is about the competition. Currently training 3 on, 1 off (3 days on the bike, about 90 mins training session, 1 day off). Weekend rides with the club as weather and time allow.

closesupport said:
when you say trainer! what trainer do you use, i've always tryed to put abit of time on the bike on the road, but when the weather has been to bad i haven't been able to train, well this week i have invested in a trainer (Tacx Virtual reality Trainer 1900) I was wonder if anyone else out there was using one of these or something similar? apparently it has software that you can upload competetors, now i thought this would be fun to compete against other users on the forum from other countries without even leaving the home.

Hopefully, i'll still be able to use it in the evenings even after work, more hours i'm hoping for. I have a 40mile loop that has quite severe climbs on my journey, these are usually only completed at 7/9 mph and i only throw it in as part for hill climbs its 56Degrees ongoing for about 800/1000m its a killer but it sure warms the legs up for a 50mph winding decent for over a mile

prestonjb said:
Ugh.. There are no hills in South Florida... Only wind, bridges and cars.
That sounds like England only we got lots of hills and lots of rain as well.....

Usual weekday milage is 20 miles a day to and from work (with a mile and half climb at 9% thrown in) and about 40 miles on Saturday or Sunday.

leegregory said:
That sounds like England only we got lots of hills and lots of rain as well.....

Usual weekday milage is 20 miles a day to and from work (with a mile and half climb at 9% thrown in) and about 40 miles on Saturday or Sunday.
well i'm back upto 2-3hrs thanks to Tacx I magic and my loving wife, who's says she has never seen me so happy, plus she can now help me and its no longer just a ride but Intervals and she is coaching me at the minute monetoring me and telling me when to pick it up or drop the pace what is next in the interval and i'm glad that she is now apart of my training.

Since she won't come out for rides with me and happy to see that i'm safe and not risking the traffic on the roads, lets just hope when summer comes again she don't say why go out, go on the trainer

closesupport said:
well i'm back upto 2-3hrs thanks to Tacx I magic and my loving wife, who's says she has never seen me so happy, plus she can now help me and its no longer just a ride but Intervals and she is coaching me at the minute monetoring me and telling me when to pick it up or drop the pace what is next in the interval and i'm glad that she is now apart of my training.

Since she won't come out for rides with me and happy to see that i'm safe and not risking the traffic on the roads, lets just hope when summer comes again she don't say why go out, go on the trainer
Theres always the Tandem option :)