Houseguests

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Anthony, Jan 2, 2006.

  1. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    We had houseguests over the holiday period, charming people but plump
    and working on staying that way. So we fed them the sort of food they
    liked and bought things that haven't been in our house for some years,
    bread, potatoes, weird snack things and dips. I made potato salad with
    homemade mayo, and pommes Dauphinois with cream and butter and mashed
    potatoes with butter and cream (for different meals of course). And I
    had some of each, just to be polite. Damn, but they were good, I'd
    forgotten! It took great determination to toss the potatoes that
    remained after the guests had left, but I did it. Only put on a couple
    of pounds which will come off quickly now that we're back to our
    regular WOE.

    Tags:

  2. Anthony wrote:
    > We had houseguests over the holiday period, charming people but plump
    > and working on staying that way. So we fed them the sort of food they
    > liked and bought things that haven't been in our house for some years,
    > bread, potatoes, weird snack things and dips. I made potato salad with
    > homemade mayo, and pommes Dauphinois with cream and butter and mashed
    > potatoes with butter and cream (for different meals of course). And I
    > had some of each, just to be polite. Damn, but they were good, I'd
    > forgotten! It took great determination to toss the potatoes that
    > remained after the guests had left, but I did it. Only put on a couple
    > of pounds which will come off quickly now that we're back to our
    > regular WOE.

    IME, potatoes aren't all that interesting. They're nearly flavorless
    themselves.

    What makes these items yummy is the other stuff... the homemade mayo,
    cream and butter, etc. And... those ingredients remain yummy when used
    in recipes with low-carb veggies instead of potatoes.

    Deep-fried okra or eggplant is actually *yummier* than french fries.