Houseguests

Anthony

Guest
We had houseguests over the holiday period, charming people but plump
and working on staying that way. So we fed them the sort of food they
liked and bought things that haven't been in our house for some years,
bread, potatoes, weird snack things and dips. I made potato salad with
homemade mayo, and pommes Dauphinois with cream and butter and mashed
potatoes with butter and cream (for different meals of course). And I
had some of each, just to be polite. Damn, but they were good, I'd
forgotten! It took great determination to toss the potatoes that
remained after the guests had left, but I did it. Only put on a couple
of pounds which will come off quickly now that we're back to our
regular WOE.

Anthony wrote:
> We had houseguests over the holiday period, charming people but plump
> and working on staying that way. So we fed them the sort of food they
> liked and bought things that haven't been in our house for some years,
> bread, potatoes, weird snack things and dips. I made potato salad with
> homemade mayo, and pommes Dauphinois with cream and butter and mashed
> potatoes with butter and cream (for different meals of course). And I
> had some of each, just to be polite. Damn, but they were good, I'd
> forgotten! It took great determination to toss the potatoes that
> remained after the guests had left, but I did it. Only put on a couple
> of pounds which will come off quickly now that we're back to our
> regular WOE.

IME, potatoes aren't all that interesting. They're nearly flavorless
themselves.

What makes these items yummy is the other stuff... the homemade mayo,
cream and butter, etc. And... those ingredients remain yummy when used
in recipes with low-carb veggies instead of potatoes.

Deep-fried okra or eggplant is actually *yummier* than french fries.