Houston Half - First Race Ever - 6004th Place!!

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Les Stewart, Jan 18, 2005.

  1. Les Stewart

    Les Stewart Guest

    5 years ago I was a sedentary 3-4 pack a day serious couch tater. Somehow I
    quit smoking (good!) and gained 50 pounds (bad!)

    So I started walking. I can still remember the first few weeks....
    misery.... aches..... shin splints..... then one day I jogged about 10
    steps.... scary!

    In 2 years, I lost 40 pounds and AMAZINGLY could walk 5 miles and
    occasionally run a whole lap at the local track.

    Then a mile, then 2 miles......

    Two years later at age 52 I entered and finished my first race ever.... the
    Houston Half Marathon. While I didn't quite win..... 3 hours and 6 minutes
    (soooo close!) (My PR?)..... I did manage to run (slooooowly) about 75% and
    walked the rest and was happy to finish tired and sore but with no injuries.

    A lot of that was due to what I have read in R.R. in the last year.

    Thanks for the advice, the inspiration, and for letting me brag a little.

    Those 732 people behind me........ now THEY were pitiful.... :)
    --
    Les <SlowFoot> Stewart
    Beaumont, TX

    Tags:

  2. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    "Les Stewart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > 5 years ago I was a sedentary 3-4 pack a day serious couch tater. Somehow
    > quit smoking (good!) and gained 50 pounds (bad!)
    >
    > So I started walking. I can still remember the first few weeks....
    > misery.... aches..... shin splints..... then one day I jogged about 10
    > steps.... scary!
    >
    > In 2 years, I lost 40 pounds and AMAZINGLY could walk 5 miles and
    > occasionally run a whole lap at the local track.
    >
    > Then a mile, then 2 miles......
    >
    > Two years later at age 52 I entered and finished my first race ever....
    > the
    > Houston Half Marathon. While I didn't quite win..... 3 hours and 6 minutes
    > (soooo close!) (My PR?)..... I did manage to run (slooooowly) about 75%
    > and
    > walked the rest and was happy to finish tired and sore but with no
    > injuries.
    >
    > A lot of that was due to what I have read in R.R. in the last year.
    >
    > Thanks for the advice, the inspiration, and for letting me brag a little.
    >
    > Those 732 people behind me........ now THEY were pitiful.... :)

    Well done Les! Congrats on your 1st race and the lifestyle change.
    Good luck with future running and racing.

    Anthony.

  3. bikeme

    bikeme Guest

    "Anthony" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    :
    : "Les Stewart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    : news:[email protected]
    : >
[...]
    Congratulations! I love your positive, upbeat style. You're right- it
    doesn't matter what place you came in. You've had a radical lifestyle
    change for the better.

    I'm from Houston originally and almost chose the Houston marathon to run.
    Signed-up for one in Tampa instead. Glad to hear that you liked it. Maybe
    I'll run it next year. Again, congrats!!!

  4. Les Stewart

    Les Stewart Guest

    "Anthony" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > Well done Les! Congrats on your 1st race and the lifestyle change.
    > Good luck with future running and racing.
    >
    > Anthony.

    Thanks for the kind words.
    --
    Les <SlowFoot> Stewart
    Beaumont, TX

  5. Les Stewart

    Les Stewart Guest

    "bikeme" <[email protected]> wrote > :
    > Congratulations! I love your positive, upbeat style. You're right- it
    > doesn't matter what place you came in. You've had a radical lifestyle
    > change for the better.
    >
    > I'm from Houston originally and almost chose the Houston marathon to run.
    > Signed-up for one in Tampa instead. Glad to hear that you liked it.
    > Maybe
    > I'll run it next year. Again, congrats!!!

    Thanks and good luck to you!
    --
    Les <SlowFoot> Stewart
    Beaumont, TX

  6. Big Congrats Les, not only on the race but on successfully changing
    your lifestyle. Brag away, you've earned it!

    Teresa in AZ

    Les Stewart wrote:

    > 5 years ago I was a sedentary 3-4 pack a day serious couch tater. Somehow I
    > quit smoking (good!) and gained 50 pounds (bad!)
    >
    > In 2 years, I lost 40 pounds and AMAZINGLY could walk 5 miles and
    > occasionally run a whole lap at the local track.
    > Then a mile, then 2 miles......
    >
    > Two years later at age 52 I entered and finished my first race ever.... the
    > Houston Half Marathon. While I didn't quite win..... 3 hours and 6 minutes
    > (soooo close!) (My PR?)..... I did manage to run (slooooowly) about 75% and
    > walked the rest and was happy to finish tired and sore but with no injuries.
    >
    > A lot of that was due to what I have read in R.R. in the last year.
    >
    > Thanks for the advice, the inspiration, and for letting me brag a little.
    >
    > Those 732 people behind me........ now THEY were pitiful.... :)

  7. Les Stewart

    Les Stewart Guest

    "Teresa Bippert-Plymate" wrote
    > Big Congrats Les, not only on the race but on successfully changing
    > your lifestyle. Brag away, you've earned it!
    >
    > Teresa in AZ

    Thankyathankyavermuch..... I have to laugh at myself....... bragging about
    6004th place!!
    --
    Les <SlowFoot> Stewart
    Beaumont, TX

  8. susan

    susan Guest

    Congratulations on this big achievement! Waddle on is my motto.
    Susan

    Les Stewart wrote:

    > 5 years ago I was a sedentary 3-4 pack a day serious couch tater. Somehow I
    > quit smoking (good!) and gained 50 pounds (bad!)
    >
    > So I started walking. I can still remember the first few weeks....
    > misery.... aches..... shin splints..... then one day I jogged about 10
    > steps.... scary!
    >
    > In 2 years, I lost 40 pounds and AMAZINGLY could walk 5 miles and
    > occasionally run a whole lap at the local track.
    >
    > Then a mile, then 2 miles......
    >
    > Two years later at age 52 I entered and finished my first race ever.... the
    > Houston Half Marathon. While I didn't quite win..... 3 hours and 6 minutes
    > (soooo close!) (My PR?)..... I did manage to run (slooooowly) about 75% and
    > walked the rest and was happy to finish tired and sore but with no injuries.
    >
    > A lot of that was due to what I have read in R.R. in the last year.
    >
    > Thanks for the advice, the inspiration, and for letting me brag a little.
    >
    > Those 732 people behind me........ now THEY were pitiful.... :)
    > --
    > Les <SlowFoot> Stewart
    > Beaumont, TX

  9. >You're right- it
    >doesn't matter what place you came in.

    L-O-S-E-R!

  10. Les Stewart

    Les Stewart Guest

    "susan" wrote

    > Congratulations on this big achievement! Waddle on is my motto.
    > Susan

    <In my best southern accent> Why, thank you ma'am! A'waddllin' I will go....

    --
    Les <SlowFoot> Stewart
    Beaumont, TX

  11. bikeme

    bikeme Guest

    "Les Stewart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    :
    : "susan" wrote
    :
    : > Congratulations on this big achievement! Waddle on is my motto.
    : > Susan
    :
    : <In my best southern accent> Why, thank you ma'am! A'waddllin' I will
    go....
    :
    : --
    : Les <SlowFoot> Stewart
    : Beaumont, TX

    The Waddle On reference is to John Bingham, the Penguin- one of his mottos
    is, "No need for speed." "Waddle on" is also his.
    http://www.waddleon.com/