Houstonians role call...

ccorrick

Dec 9, 2003
Hey Houston,

How many are there? and which side?

I'm northwest. Anyone up for a ride? :D

Northwest here also .. you ride dirt or road?

If road we have a ride out of the Bike Barn on Highway 6 in Copperfield that we just started up this past weekend, leaves out at 8am on Sundays.

Southwest here, Meadows Place / Stafford, always looking for a riding partner who's willing to keep my slow and relaxed pace on distance rides.

I'm training for the MS150, so I'll be at most of the upcoming training events. Anyone here doing the Wild Wild West End Ride on Sunday?

No WWW ride for me, I'll be at the Gator ride in 2 weeks though. Most likely do the 62 mile route with a friend of mine while my wife and his girlfriend will do the 40.

Originally posted by Nitromike
No WWW ride for me, I'll be at the Gator ride in 2 weeks though. Most likely do the 62 mile route with a friend of mine while my wife and his girlfriend will do the 40.

I'll be Gatoring as well, doing the 62 I hope. I'm still a novice when it comes to distance rides and lead a sedentary lifestyle, but 30-35mi rides are cake, so why not?

Sunday mornings are full for me, but I've started riding with the Northewest Cycling Club Sat. mornings.

Know of any Sunday afternoon groups?

I ride after work most days and may try to ride at bear creek park wed @4pm. Think there is a group out there then.

Oops .. noticed you said afternoon, nevermind. Only Sunday groups I know of ride in the morning.

Originally posted by ccorrick
Hey Houston,

How many are there? and which side?

I'm northwest. Anyone up for a ride? :D

Montrose here. I ride off road, but when it rains, then I ride on road.

Originally posted by Malcontent
I'm itching to get my mtn bike on the road, so can you suggest some good off-road?

What area are you in? South of Houston is Jack Brooks, mid town is Memorial Park, North of town is Cypresswood, way North of town is Double Lake and Huntsville to the Northeast, and Warda and Rocky Creek to the Northwest. Which of em would you like directions to and from what area of Houston?

I'm itching to get my mtn bike on the road, so can you suggest some good off-road?

Huh? Not sure if I understand what you are asking. If "on the road" in this case means get started/into action/riding/etc., then there are plenty of trails in southeast Texas to check out. I am just now beginning to explore them all myself. Check out http://www.ghorba.org. Within the Houston city limits, the south side of Memorial Park is best.

On the other hand, if "on the road" really does mean on the road, then your reference to off road is, well, not sure what you mean in that case. LOL

Originally posted by Nitromike
What area are you in? South of Houston is Jack Brooks, mid town is Memorial Park, North of town is Cypresswood, way North of town is Double Lake and Huntsville to the Northeast, and Warda and Rocky Creek to the Northwest. Which of em would you like directions to and from what area of Houston?

I'm Southwest, Stafford / Meadows Place. I've done most of the trails at Brazos Bend SP, but that's it for off-road stuff around Houston.

I'm not averse to driving just about anywhere within 40 miles or so.

Originally posted by Cowboyathlete
Huh? Not sure if I understand what you are asking. If "on the road" in this case means get started/into action/riding/etc., then there are plenty of trails in southeast Texas to check out.

Sorry, meant on the trail. Been on the road/paved path far too much lately.

I'll check out ghorba and I'll see about hitting Memorial Park after the Cypress ride on Sunday. I have a garage sale Saturday, or I'd go then. Thanks for the link!

Sorry, meant on the trail. Been on the road/paved path far too much lately.

I'll check out ghorba and I'll see about hitting Memorial Park after the Cypress ride on Sunday. I have a garage sale Saturday, or I'd go then. Thanks for the link!

Bear in mind (in case your garage sale falls through) that there is some sort of Art Festival in Memorial Park this weekend. The upshot is that the trails and whatnot will be completely closed off to everyone starting Thursday. I was out there last night on My Hoochie (or was that Ho Chi Minh?). The trails were open but fences and barricades were already going up around the park in preparation. :(

kingwood, i am new to this whole cycling thing so a group training thing would be excellent for me!

Originally posted by texastrack04
kingwood, i am new to this whole cycling thing so a group training thing would be excellent for me!
In that case, welcome!! What type of cycling do you do, e.g. road or mountain? There are a few different cycling groups around town, depending on your interest.

right now my main interest is road. i havent even bought a bike yet...its really something thats in the process. any suggestions on bikes...i recently went to my lbs and they told me to look into a giant ocr3 or a trek 1000, what do you think?

Originally posted by texastrack04
right now my main interest is road. i havent even bought a bike yet...its really something thats in the process. any suggestions on bikes...i recently went to my lbs and they told me to look into a giant ocr3 or a trek 1000, what do you think?

Hey track,

It all really depends on how serious you are and how much you are willing to spend. I bought my wife an OCR3. A solid bike for a beginner for sure. Has some little add on features I thought were a bit dorky, but whatever, it works for her.

I notice you posting a lot and it sounds like you might want to try racing. If that's the case the ocr3 is going to be a little on the low side. Will you be able to put 6-10 hours a week into riding, or will t be more/less? Just trying to get a feel for what exactly you want or need. Either bike you mentioned above will get you started for sure, but you my be upgrading in a few months. Let's see...I got my wife all set up for right at $1000. That's bike, shoes, clothes, computer, cages, etc. All that will be things you can use for awhile. You could probably get a bit out of your used bike once you decide to move up.

If you want to get a good solid setup go with something that is equipped with the 105. That puts you up to a very good start place and something you will be able to hang on to a bit longer. Any brand of frame with the 105 will run you close to the same, and all will perform about the same. Being new you probably would not be able to tell a difference, and anything you did feel would be tires or even tire pressure :p. Look at everything, and ride as many as you can. The MOST important part of a new bike is fit.....Make sure you find a shop that is willing to take the time to fit you and get it all set up for you. Some suggestions would be Giant, Fuji, Cannondale, Trek....aww heck just all of em :rolleyes:. Look around find something that catches your eye for you first bike. Your next one you will KNOW what you like and have a better feel for what works for you. One way to do is is set a price you want to pay and just see what you can get in that range...

I don't know your current fitness level, but don't get discrouaged. You will gain quickly if you are already pretty active and have a bit of a base to work with.

I hope this helps a little? Good luck!