How about Lance Armstrong...?!

Don Quijote

Sep 22, 2004
Hey, fellow avid cyclists of the world, did you watch our champ ride in the Paris-Nice race, that also another American, Bobby Julich won, making cycling history! I believe that Greg Lemond started the cycling dynasty in the 1980's, and this is just the beginning of this American cyclism saga.
See, the great champs like Fausto Coppi, Eddy Merck, Hinault, Indurain, they all did not have to fight cancer, go through chemo and radiation therapy--with its debilitating effects-- overcome this terrible and potentially deadly disease, and still muster enough will power and strength to become a six times TDF champion...come on, that is extraordinary and remarkable!!!
Lance looked "cold", stiff, but he came down with a sore throat and fever, and it was very cold (I hate cold weather too!) and he is just starting to get ready for the #7 win at the TDF, oh yeah, his spinning technique, style, strategies, team work, power to weight ratio, talent, make him my favorite to win for the seventh time for the first time in the world...wow...after fighting testicular cancer that had spread throughout his body, weakening him temporarily, yet he persisted and persevere--so much lacking in most people nowadays--and now he is ready to remain true and consistent in his world class cycling style and finesse, and to remain a living legend and role model in excellence.
Well, America is producing top-notch road racers, and I will keep watching OLN TV every Sunday, since they will be broadcasting all the major European cyclism classics, thank God!!!
Cheers!
Don Q

Que Pasa, Bro! Just wanted to say that your post is great. You'll get a lot of hate from the Lance haters of the world, but they just try to find the negative of a good man. As far as your comment of being a role model, Heck ya, he is. As you stated, how many people have come back from cancer to perform at the highest level? Not too many! Hopefully # 7 will be magical.

Don't you mean that Bobby Julich won P-N, or am I missing something?

Also, don't forget about andy hampsten. Another great american racer. I guess you could mention bob roll as well, but, well, nevermind.

It's generally good form to check the race results before starting in on the trash talk. George Hincappi wasn't even at Paris-Nice. He was at Tirreno-Adriatico where he finished 19th. Your fellow Texan Bobby Julich won Paris-Nice.

artmichalek said:
It's generally good form to check the race results before starting in on the trash talk. George Hincappi wasn't even at Paris-Nice. He was at Tirreno-Adriatico where he finished 19th. Your fellow Texan Bobby Julich won Paris-Nice.

Better tell him that Oscar Freire won Tirreno Adriatico too - before he makes an even bigger fool of himself.

artmichalek said:

Julich is an American but is currently riding for CSC ,not a American team.
Just thought I would point out the obvious.

Don Quijote said:
Hey, fellow avid cyclists of the world, did you watch our champ ride in the Paris-Nice race, that also another American, George Hincappie won, making cycling history! I believe that Greg Lemond started the cycling dynasty in the 1980's, and this is just the beginning of this American cyclism saga.
See, the great champs like Fausto Coppi, Eddy Merck, Hinault, Indurain, they all did not have to fight cancer, go through chemo and radiation therapy--with its debilitating effects-- overcome this terrible and potentially deadly disease, and still muster enough will power and strength to become a six times TDF champion...come on, that is extraordinary and remarkable!!!
Lance looked "cold", stiff, but he came down with a sore throat and fever, and it was very cold (I hate cold weather too!) and he is just starting to get ready for the #7 win at the TDF, oh yeah, his spinning technique, style, strategies, team work, power to weight ratio, talent, make him my favorite to win for the seventh time for the first time in the world...wow...after fighting testicular cancer that had spread throughout his body, weakening him temporarily, yet he persisted and persevere--so much lacking in most people nowadays--and now he is ready to remain true and consistent in his world class cycling style and finesse, and to remain a living legend and role model in excellence.
Well, America is producing top-notch road racers, and I will keep watching OLN TV every Sunday, since they will be broadcasting all the major European cyclism classics, thank God!!!
Cheers!
Don Q

Aside from what others have already corrected you on (Julich not Hincappi winning P-N), I don't see how you can proclaim a cycling "dynasty" for the USA. Apart from Armstrong winning the TdF six consecutive times (because that's what he does), we (Americans) haven't exactly dominated the sport of cycling! :eek:

meehs said:
Aside from what others have already corrected you on (Julich not Hincappi winning P-N), I don't see how you can proclaim a cycling "dynasty" for the USA. Apart from Armstrong winning the TdF six consecutive times (because that's what he does), we (Americans) haven't exactly dominated the sport of cycling! :eek:

I would have to agree with you if you only look at the tour alone then France is the big winner then Belgium and I believe the US with Lance and Lemond,Italy ,Spain, Lim I believe there was an Irishman in the mix somewhere and of course several others.
Cycling has evolved and changed from the early years when it seemed to man against the road and the elements to a mix of muscle stamina,stragety, science and technology.I won't get into the "chemistry".

Maybe not a dynasty yet but the US has made a good showing in the recent years.

meehs said:
And I hate to point out the obvious, but even Armstrong in a recent interview was quick to admit that while he does have a record 6 tour de France wins, he is nowhere near the rider that Eddy Merckx was.

Merckx record stands at 525 wins! Merckx won something like 1 out of every 3 races he entered, and in his good years, 50% of the races he entered.

And.. he entered a lot of races.

Giro, Tour, World Championships, Paris-Roubaix, Tour of Flanders, Seven times the winner of Milan - San Remo....

Just some food for thought. check out Lance's January interview on NPR at http://npr.org

cheers!

jhuskey said:
Julich is an American but is currently riding for CSC ,not a American team.
Just thought I would point out the obvious.
Actually, CSC is an american company. The team is based elsewhere, but the sponsor is american. That's why they have vande velde and zabriskie.

strummer_fan said:
And I hate to point out the obvious, but even Armstrong in a recent interview was quick to admit that while he does have a record 6 tour de France wins, he is nowhere near the rider that Eddy Merckx was.

Merckx record stands at 525 wins! Merckx won something like 1 out of every 3 races he entered, and in his good years, 50% of the races he entered.

Giro, Tour, World Championships, Paris-Roubaix, Tour of Flanders, Seven times the winner of Milan - San Remo....

Just some food for thought. check out Lance's January interview on NPR at http://npr.org

cheers!

Good point strummer_fan. I've heard Armstrong make similar remarks on several occasions when people are trying to make comparisons between him and Eddy Merckx. It seems that Armstrong has a LOT of respect for Merckx and doesn't consider himself to be on the same level... Even though some of his (albeit less informed) fans do.

ct2 said:
Actually, CSC is an american company. The team is based elsewhere, but the sponsor is american. That's why they have vande velde and zabriskie.

CSC an international company founded in the US is the main sponsor but Riis cycling is the team management company.
I just don't see the team as an American team,sponsorship yes but I see CSC cycling as European.

jhuskey said:
CSC an international company founded in the US is the main sponsor but Riis cycling is the team management company.
I just don't see the team as an American team,sponsorship yes but I see CSC cycling as European.
No argument from me there. I'm always happy to see an american company, in whatever form, sponsor cycling.

I'd be curious to see a roster of all the american pros and their corresponding teams.

Oh, and whoever mentioned an american 'dynasty' in cycling is pretty much nuts.

You are right...well it was an AMERICAN, so REJOICE, man! :cool: Don Q
artmichalek said:

Are you for Lance?! :cool: Don Q
ct2 said:
No argument from me there. I'm always happy to see an american company, in whatever form, sponsor cycling.

I'd be curious to see a roster of all the american pros and their corresponding teams.

Oh, and whoever mentioned an american 'dynasty' in cycling is pretty much nuts.

Yeah, but did he have to FIGHT with cancer that had spread, and post chemotherapy and radiation...? Man, my sister has ovarian cancer, and after her chemo and radiation she struggles to even breath...she is young too...

You can not compare all the triumphs and achievements in cycling or in any sport to the feat of defeating DEATH, man!
I wonder if your hero would have been able to win the Tour 6 times after chemo and radiation therapy... How about outsprinting, outclimbing, outriding death?! :cool: Don Q
strummer_fan said:

cheers!

It is called HUMILITY and being rightminded...he does not toot his own horn...

Lance is a role model to US ALL! :cool: Don Q

meehs said:
Good point strummer_fan. I've heard Armstrong make similar remarks on several occasions when people are trying to make comparisons between him and Eddy Merckx. It seems that Armstrong has a LOT of respect for Merckx and doesn't consider himself to be on the same level... Even though some of his (albeit less informed) fans do.

Oh yeah, thanks. :cool: Don Q
ct2 said:
Don't you mean that Bobby Julich won P-N, or am I missing something?

Also, don't forget about andy hampsten. Another great american racer. I guess you could mention bob roll as well, but, well, nevermind.

Gracias, amigo del ciclismo Snyper Bro! :cool: Don Q
snyper0311 said:
Que Pasa, Bro! Just wanted to say that your post is great. You'll get a lot of hate from the Lance haters of the world, but they just try to find the negative of a good man. As far as your comment of being a role model, Heck ya, he is. As you stated, how many people have come back from cancer to perform at the highest level? Not too many! Hopefully # 7 will be magical.

You are correct, but I disagree with your perception of my post as "trash talk".

Lance Armstrong is a LIVING LEGEND, and he deserves all of our respect and admiration for what he has done to elevate our perceptions and expectations for road cyclism. :cool: Don Q

artmichalek said: