How about Lance Armstrong...?!

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Don Quijote, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Don Quijote

Don Quijote New Member

Amigo...this is about Lance, not you or your bragging... :cool: Don Q

2. Don Quijote

Don Quijote New Member

We have started NOW, amigo, so cheers!

3. Don Quijote

Don Quijote New Member

Look, do you know of any other great cycling champ ever doing what our Lance has done for cycling and the fight against cancer...?!

Well...this post is about that REMARKABLE feat, not little disagreements on choice of adjectives...

4. meehs

meehs New Member

Wow! There have been some Armstrong zealots on this forum in the past but you take the cake my friend. I respect Armstrong and his accomplishments but I don't plan on building him a shrine in my basement.

Incidently the word "dynasty" is a noun not an adjective. And it's not something Americans have acheived or are have even come close to acheiving in the sport of cycling. Winning a few races per year over the last couple of decades in a sport with a history that goes back over 100 years can hardly be considered a dynasty or even the start of one! Sorry but I don't see making such a claim as a slight slip of the tongue.

5. Don Quijote

Don Quijote New Member

You still can not acknowledge that Lance is extraordinary and remarkable...for closed-minded people YOU TAKE THE CAKE, amigo! :confused: Don Q

6. meehs

meehs New Member

Huh??? I'll happily aknowledge that Lance Armstrong is an extraordinary and remarkable athlete. Please don't put words in my mouth. Unlike you, I'll also aknowledge that it's a matter of personal opinion.

Congrats on being the first person to ever label me as "closed-minded". Clearly you don't know me at all... :eek:

7. Don Quijote

Don Quijote New Member

I wish that we would stop attacking each other on technical issues, flaws, etc., and really consider the following question:

Do you know of any other cycling champ that has accomplished what Lance has accomplished, after the cancer and its debilitating treatment?

Bragging on details that are not related to this fact, is just plain childish and shallow-minded...let us show to the world different, this post is not for trash talk, but intelligent perspectives about Lance Armstrong, wether you agree or disagree with me. :cool: Don Q

8. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

Doesn't make the jersey any less yellow. ;)

9. meehs

meehs New Member

I don't mean to attack anyone if you're refering to me. I'm just providing my two cents for whatever it's worth.

Lance's comeback from cancer and his subsequent accomplishments in the sport of cycling are unique, that's for sure. Not just unique to cycling but to any sport. It's how he came about such an accomplishment that some people call into question.

I don't have any idea what you mean by "bragging on details" but I'll try to stop. What you have to understand is that other people can offer "intelligent perspectives about Lance Armstrong" and disagree with you without intending it to be an attack. There may even be some folks here that offer an intelligent opinion about Armstrong that <gasp!> aren't Lance fans!!! :eek:

10. Don Quijote

Don Quijote New Member

Hey man, I am picking up "hostility vibes" from you.
    Look, what you just posted is what I just stated...so even if you dislike me at least we agree on the same perspective.
    I do not know you, but I would not pick you to be my friend, eh?
    So that said, I feel better while I agree to disagree with your hostile remarks.

11. meehs

meehs New Member

No hostility intended I assure you. I have a great deal of respect for Armstrong and his accomplishments. All you have to do is read some of my posts in other Armstrong related threads. But hey, if you don't want to be my friend, I can live with that. :D

12. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I think that it would be great to see many more Americans come over to Europe and ride at the highest level.
    They bring a new slant to the sport and this can only be good.

I also think, whatever one might say about LA, that he has managed to raise the profile of professional cycling in the USA and perhaps some youngster might well want to pursue a career as a pro cyclist over here.
    Although, sports like Tennis and Baseball and Football and Basketball, attract
    a lot more youngsters, not least because of the finanical rewards.

Look at guys like Hampsten, leMond, Armstrong, Julich, Hamilton : they've come here and have competed and have won.
    That is a good thing, I think.
    Helps break up the old French/Italian/Belgian/Dutch/Spanish hegamony.

13. ct2

ct2 New Member

I often wonder how much most americans will ever really get into cycling. Lance has a good story and wins, and that's why americans like him. I can't imagine cycling will stay as popular in the US once lance retires.

But who knows? With OLN showing a race every sunday, maybe people will start to understand and like it. Even my redneck uncle is into it.

14. snyper0311

snyper0311 New Member

Limerickman, you really suprise me! I had taken you for Anti-American, but now you have proven me wrong! I'm sorry for taking that view of you. Yes, you are right, people like the above mentioned are also good cyclists that we can look up to in our sport as American riders. One rider that I would like to add is the Latino rider, Freddy Rodriguez. Heck of a bike rider.

As Don Q said, the START of something good is coming from our country. Remember that our country is young (as opposed to France, England, Spain) so as fas as cycling is concerned, we are just getting rid of the training wheels. While other countries were having bike races, we were still playing cowboys and indians.

15. Don Quijote

Don Quijote New Member

Well said, amigo...just great!

16. Don Quijote

Don Quijote New Member

Well, there is Bobbie, winner of P-N now, we got to keep an eye on him, he has lots of heart!

17. Don Quijote

Don Quijote New Member

Cudos for Freddie Rdz. also, amigo Snyper...keep an eye on him for the TDF!

18. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I dispute the authenticity of LA's performances, based on the fact that he itterly transformed himself (1992-1996 to 1999-now).
    But that is only one issue.
    I like the USA and it's people - I disagree with George Bush and his policies but that's it.
    I don't think these views (LA and Bush) deem me to be anti-American.
    Good knows I've enough in-laws, who are American !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, I know of Fred Rdriguez - saw him at Paris Nice this year.
    Good cyclist as you say.

I hope that it is the start of something good from the USA in terms of pro joining the ranks and competing.
    Naturally those other sports will still command most attention from youngsters
    but maybe this might be the start, as was pointed out.
    I think it would be a very positive development.

19. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Lim is not Anti-American but he his definitely not pro-present administration.
    There is a difference for sure.
    By the way Lim, Happy Saint Patties Day.
    I'll hoist a Killians to you on Thursday.

20. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Go raibh maith agat, a chairde.
    (which means thank you, my friend, in Irish ! You can try this on the local "Irish population there, it'll impress them).

I hope Killians is a drink !

St Patricks Day is a bigger event, I think, in the USA, than it is here.
    What with people dying the rivers green, bowls of shamrock on the White House lawn and the like.
    It always amazes me how a lot of Americans seem to celebrate 17th March.
    You don't hear of celebrations for St Georges Day (England) or St Davids Day (Wales), Stateside.

17th is a public holiday here - parades and the like.
    18th here in Limerick is usually good.
    All of the marching bands and majorette troops flying back to the States, do so from Shannon Airport, so they tend to stay here for the 18th as well.

Believe it or not, in this country the 4th of July is celebrated (there are a lot of Americans working/studying here).
    People go out wearing Stars & Stripes Top Hats and carrying imitation Bald Eagles, around with them.
    it's good fun !!