How about this bike? (was: Why are expensive bikes better than cheap ones?)

Ken Aston

Guest
Thanks to everyone's help in my earlier thread at
http://groups-beta.google.com/group...8893efd8041/b3cc7ccaab286dfd#b3cc7ccaab286dfd
I am now eager to put away my discount bike in the basement and buy a
good quality bike.

In particular I am looking into a Marin Lucas Valley
http://www.marinbikes.com/bicycles_2007/html/bikes/bike_specs/specs_lucas_valley.html
or a Marin Fairfax:
http://www.marinbikes.com/bicycles_2007/html/bikes/bike_specs/specs_fairfax.html

What do you think about these bikes for my purpose? I plan to ride it
about 20 miles a day on regular roads in the city. Since I am wearing a
suit once in a while, I would like to attach full length light-weight
fenders and a simple chain guard, just one extra ring next to the
pedals (is it possible?).

The main purpose is riding in the city but next summer I want to do a
month-long bicycle trip. Do you think I can attach front and rear racks
and go on the road with the extra weight? I wonder if those thin tyres
will be OK. If yes, it would be perfect, as a like to move on fast. Or
should I get a seperate bike for the road trip?

What do you think?

Ken Aston

I'd say that bike looks perfect for the rapid-city-commuter role.

Enjoy it!

> The main purpose is riding in the city but next summer I want to do a
> month-long bicycle trip. Do you think I can attach front and rear racks
> and go on the road with the extra weight? I wonder if those thin tyres
> will be OK. If yes, it would be perfect, as a like to move on fast. Or
> should I get a seperate bike for the road trip?

It should fill that role fine - you wouldn't want to go off-road on
those tires, but any on-road surface shouldn't be a problem.

Jules

I couldn't quite tell if the Lucas Valley had rear lugs for a pannier
(can carbon seat-stays handle lugs??), so check first and enquire about
chain-stay length and whether or not this will accommodate panniers and
still allow you to pedal without hooking your heels up each revolution.
It looked as though the required front lugs were present on both
bikes. If you get a rear pannier rack that will probably do fine for
catching mud on the back end, so just consider what you would need for
the front.

The tyres will be just fine. Talk to someone at your LBS and have they
will make recommendations should you require something else.

They bot seem like nice bikes. I would recommend something with drop
bars for long distances personally as you have a few more places to rest
your hands and therefore a few sitting positions. Flats bars give you
fewer options in that regard... but this is entirely a personal thing
and you should go with what you feel comfortable with. Have the LBS fit
the bike to you too.

>If yes, it would be perfect, as a like to move on fast. Or
> should I get a seperate bike for the road trip?

N+1... always a good idea :)

--
Bean

"I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like
It's got a basket
A bell that rings
And things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could
But I borrowed it" Pink Floyd

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Ken Aston wrote:
> Thanks to everyone's help in my earlier thread at
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group...8893efd8041/b3cc7ccaab286dfd#b3cc7ccaab286dfd
> I am now eager to put away my discount bike in the basement and buy a
> good quality bike.
>
> In particular I am looking into a Marin Lucas Valley
> http://www.marinbikes.com/bicycles_2007/html/bikes/bike_specs/specs_lucas_valley.html

By looking at the picture of the bike above, it does not appear to have
the necessary braze-ones for fitting a rear carrier. It looks like it
has carbon rear stays and I have never seen a bike with carbon rear
stays that has braze-ones for a rear carrier

> or a Marin Fairfax:
> http://www.marinbikes.com/bicycles_2007/html/bikes/bike_specs/specs_fairfax.html

This one looks better as the braze on for a rear carrier is visible near
the rear brake. I'm guessing it does not have carbon rear stays.

> What do you think about these bikes for my purpose? I plan to ride it
> about 20 miles a day on regular roads in the city. Since I am wearing a
> suit once in a while, I would like to attach full length light-weight
> fenders and a simple chain guard, just one extra ring next to the
> pedals (is it possible?).

If you're going to be riding wearing a suit (or indeed any trousers)
you're likely to get oil on them eventually with a derailleur style
bike. This is the case even if you have a "chain guard" which does
next to nothing on this style of bike. Unless you are planning on lots
of hills, have a look at something like the Avanti Blade 8:
http://www.avantibikes.com/fitness/team-blade.aspx?bid=17
This bike has a number of advantages for commuting including very low
maintainence. And you can get a much more effective chain guard for
this bike.

> The main purpose is riding in the city but next summer I want to do a
> month-long bicycle trip. Do you think I can attach front and rear racks
> and go on the road with the extra weight? I wonder if those thin tyres
> will be OK. If yes, it would be perfect, as a like to move on fast. Or
> should I get a seperate bike for the road trip?

Depending on how much you are carrying and the quality of the roads,
25mm tires (which the blade
comes with) should be OK. If you're going to be doing a significant
amount of touring with panniers etc then you will appreciate the extra
gears of the bikes you list.

> What do you think?

I reckon the best "all-round" bike (ie one that you can commute on,
tour on and do the shopping with) is a steel framed touring bike.
Get a triple on the front for lots of gears to haul heavy loads up
hills. Go for a road style bike. Road bikes can be ridden quite well
on most unsealed country roads. To protect your suit, don't bother
with a chain guard, go to a camping store and get some gaiters. They
are more effective and don't rattle.

> Ken Aston

DeF

--
To reply, you'll need to remove your finger.