How about Vermont?

bicyclinghub

Jun 22, 2003
For love I could move from Portland, Oregon to Middlebury, Vermont next year. How is the cycling in Vermont? The racing? Etc? You gotta love the racing in Oregon. The rain sucks but so does snow for 4 months.

I'm a third generation Oregonian who took a vacation to Vermont last year, WOW what a beautiful part of the world. With a population of around 900,000, would it not be a cyclist paradise?

I live pretty close to VT and I spent a week biking there last summer. It was awsome, first of all you have great ski mountaind there (okemo, killington, Mt. Snow, etc.) And I believe they all allow biking. I was at Killington for three of the days and it was amazing. Other then that there is beuatiful roads that seem to go on forver and amazing single and double track. I dont know how good you biking is in Oregon but Vermont has some of the best!

Middlebury is beautiful. Great road cycling! Great MTBing! Close to a number of major ski areas, and great backcountry skiing if you're so inclined. Burlington is fairly close, and is a nice city, very much like Portland. You'll have to drive to races, but there are many options on any given weekend throughout New England and New York.

One bonus, if you live in Portland, you now need to ride through the city to get to much of the good riding. That isn't an issue in Middlebury!

Hey DJG is Middlebury where the college is I heard there is some excellent riding there. I also heard that the college town is absolutely beautiful.

Hey everyone thanks for the feedback on Vermont. Many of the arguements are pretty compelling. It sounds like a good little spot to live....

Here is what I'm thinking for the Vermont move:

Positive-
1) Europe is only 6.5 hours away. I can catch a plane from Boston and watch Paris Roubaix on Sunday and be back Mid Day Monday to ship product.

2) I could set up a little retail store during the summer time. (I sell cycling clothing on the Internet.) People who travel to Vermont from all around the East Coast would come to buy. I have a pretty loyal following in places like Montreal.

3) Great riding with a dry spring and winter which is something that just doesn't happen in Oregon.

4) Cheap $ cost of living. Current mortgage payment $1600 - Vermont Payment under $1000.

5) Close to New York City.

Drawbacks-

1) Cold

2) Long way from family (mom and dad getting older and they're in Seattle.

3) Leave friends cultivated from 12 years of living in one state.

4) Further away from main supplier.

5) If me and girl split up I'm stuck in VT.

6) Leaving one of the greatest areas in the country for racing. Portlanders can race 7 days a week during most summer weekends.

7) No Velodrome in VT (that I know of.)

8) Portland has awesome summers. Winters are pretty mild if not wet. I have heard Vermont has some pretty good summers too.

Vermont has great summers, and the winters are not to bad at all. It gets a little cold but not to bad.

VT is great for summer riding. but winter, i don't think so. CT is bad enough, i can't imagine being 200miles north.

this past january was the coldest month, ever(on record).

BTW, i am going to race the green mtn stage race this year, it looks fun.

Originally posted by Ghr7891
Hey DJG is Middlebury where the college is I heard there is some excellent riding there. I also heard that the college town is absolutely beautiful.

Yes to all of the above.

Well the girl and I broke up so thanks for all of your help to those that responded. Sorry it was all in vain.

DD

Originally posted by bicyclinghub
For love I could move from Portland, Oregon to Middlebury, Vermont next year. How is the cycling in Vermont? The racing? Etc? You gotta love the racing in Oregon. The rain sucks but so does snow for 4 months.

Originally posted by bicyclinghub
Well the girl and I broke up so thanks for all of your help to those that responded. Sorry it was all in vain.

DD

Sorry to hear it, but from a cycling perspective it may be all for the best. I lived in VT for six years and went to college there. I loved it, but cycling season is short. Despite what others may have posted the winters are extremely long and cold compared with your neck of the woods. Whlie it was unusual, we had snow flurries the day before I graduated in May!

Blackberry,

I got that feeling.... Vermont is a nice place to visit but don't stay during the winter....

Thanks for the reinforcement....

Doug

Originally posted by Blackberry
Sorry to hear it, but from a cycling perspective it may be all for the best. I lived in VT for six years and went to college there. I loved it, but cycling season is short. Despite what others may have posted the winters are extremely long and cold compared with your neck of the woods. Whlie it was unusual, we had snow flurries the day before I graduated in May!

Vermont is a great place, but I can not compare to Oregon because I have never been. I have done the Norba race there in the past. Fun race... Lots of good mtn. biking in the state also.

Originally posted by Blackberry

Andd I thought Minnesota was bad!! I love cycling, but the season is short. I went for a rid today in 32 degrees because it was nice out today, not a gusty 40+ mile per hour windy day with windchill to 20 below! I envy the Portland riding climate!!!! I have a friend that moved out there a few years ago for a girl and he wouldn't come back for the world. He'll call me up in early February to remind me that he can "comfortable" enjoy a day outside spinning his wheels!

From what I have read Vermont is a high tax state.It also has many strict enviromental regulations. Businesses are hard pressed in that state. I even heard on the news of a town Killington I think it was which was seeking to secede and join with New Hampshire,because they were taxed so heavily.

Yes, the environmental regulations are strict. Billboards are not allowed on the highways and factories need to ahere to more stringent regulations than in other places. Green space is encouraged. Those are some of the reasons so many people love to cycle in Vermont.

Vermont winters are not as bad as Minnesota... and it is an absolutely gorgeous state, with perfect summers, beautiful scenery and good people ( outdoorsy people, friendly and a very low redneck count )

Coming from the Northwest though, I saw Seattle for the first time this January, the winter out here is hard. I am from Australia from the subtropics and the New England winters take some getting used to. I've seen a Seattle winter and its not bad at all...
so Oregon is quite doable.

Overall I think it would have been a great adventure for you but you're lucky to be in a cool part of the world with easier to cope with weather.

But with the taxes and job situation would it be a place you could live if you had to work for someone else?How hard is it to make a living there?