How accurate are the calories burned estimates?

DeadLights

Apr 9, 2011
On an odometer? Mine has a calories burned tracker, but it doesn't take my height, weight, or age into account, so wouldn't it be off by a lot?

On rides that my old Polar CS600 guestimated that I expended about 25% more than my Powertap measured.

... and the Polar software had my height/weight and the CS600 could keep track of altitude/gradient. How much of that information it actually used in its guestimate I'm not sure but it's guestimates weren't really in the same ballpark.

So in my case, I'd say it wasn't that accurate.

Then the question is, can you accurately calculate it at all?

Mine said that at 11mph adv on a 54min ride total miles of 11.5. That I burned around 270 calories. My ride is full of hills and I'm darn near dead after it. I'm 5'10 and 192lb. I would think I burned a hell of a lot more than 270c.

DeadLights said:
Then the question is, can you accurately calculate it at all?
Mine said that at 11mph adv on a 54min ride total miles of 11.5. That I burned around 270 calories. My ride is full of hills and I'm darn near dead after it. I'm 5'10 and 192lb. I would think I burned a hell of a lot more than 270c.
Using a power meter on a bike is the second most accurate way to go. The most accurate way would be to subject yourself to lab testing to quantify your body's metabolic parameters and then couple those parameters with the use of a power meter on a bike. Neither are especially cheap.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Using a power meter on a bike is the second most accurate way to go. The most accurate way would be to subject yourself to lab testing to quantify your body's metabolic parameters and then couple those parameters with the use of a power meter on a bike. Neither are especially cheap.

That's way too much trouble to go through. I'm shedding pounds. Good enough for me.