How are Bianchis measured?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dave Smith, Apr 28, 2003.

  1. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Does Bianchi measure their bikes, center of the BB to center of the top tube, or top of
    the top tube?

    Also, I'm looking at a Veloce, which has a sloping top tube. I'm assuming that they size them to the
    virtual top tube rather than the true TT. Their site lists virtual and true for the top tube
    measurment, but only lists sizes as 44, 49, 51, etc.

    Thanks very much.

    Tags:

  2. Dave Smith wrote:
    > Does Bianchi measure their bikes, center of the BB to center of the top tube, or top of the
    > top tube?
    >
    > Also, I'm looking at a Veloce, which has a sloping top tube. I'm assuming that they size them to
    > the virtual top tube rather than the true TT. Their site lists virtual and true for the top tube
    > measurment, but only lists sizes as 44, 49, 51, etc.

    They're measured to the top of the actual seat tube. However, the top tube (virtual) is by far the
    more importan spec.

    The "true" top tube length on a sloping top tube frame is just noise. It is of no use at all for
    fitting purposes, and they really shouldn't list it in the geometry. It just confuses people.

    See also http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html

    Sheldon "Bianchi Dealer" Brown +--------------------------------------------------+
    | The less you bet, the more you lose if you win | --Alan Rudolph (_Trixie_) |
    +--------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  3. Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Dave Smith wrote:

    >> Does Bianchi measure their bikes, center of the BB to center of the top tube, or top of the
    >> top tube?
    >>
    >> Also, I'm looking at a Veloce, which has a sloping top tube. I'm assuming that they size them to
    >> the virtual top tube rather than the true TT. Their site lists virtual and true for the top tube
    >> measurment, but only lists sizes as 44, 49, 51, etc.

    > They're measured to the top of the actual seat tube. However, the top tube (virtual) is by far the
    > more importan spec.

    At least my Bianchi frame, a last year's SL Alloy Lite with a sloping top tube, is measured from the
    bottom bracket to the center of a virtual horizontal top tube. The frame is 53 cm, and the seat tube
    is just 50 cm.

    -as

  4. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does Bianchi measure their bikes, center of the BB to
    center of the
    > top tube, or top of the top tube?
    >
    > Also, I'm looking at a Veloce, which has a sloping top
    tube. I'm
    > assuming that they size them to the virtual top tube
    rather than the
    > true TT. Their site lists virtual and true for the top
    tube
    > measurment, but only lists sizes as 44, 49, 51, etc.
    >
    > Thanks very much.

    A bit off topic, but anyway.....

    Why are Bianchis sold in the USA mostly steel frames, while those in Europe (see
    http://www.bianchi-france.com/catalogue.asp) mostly aluminum?.......