How are MTB stems measured?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jacobe Hazzard, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. I have some MTB stems I want to sell on eBay, and I see that the other stems listed there have a
    length, usually in mm. My questions is: What two points on the stem must I measure between to know
    this dimension?

    What other things are necessary for me to know to spec the stem?

    Thanks,

    Adam

    Tags:

  2. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > What two points on the stem must I measure between to know this dimension?

    There is no real standard for this, i usually asume the length is the distance center-center along
    the stem but some manufacturers measure it different.

    > What other things are necessary for me to know to spec the stem?

    The angle of the stem, steererclamp diameter and steerertube diameter. Maybe also things like
    weight, material, number of bolts etc.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. Ronald wrote:
    >> What two points on the stem must I measure between to know this dimension?
    >
    > There is no real standard for this, i usually asume the length is the distance center-center along
    > the stem but some manufacturers measure it different.
    >
    >> What other things are necessary for me to know to spec the stem?
    >
    > The angle of the stem, steererclamp diameter and steerertube diameter. Maybe also things like
    > weight, material, number of bolts etc.

    Thanks!

    Adam