How are S-licks

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bozeman, Mar 14, 2003.

  1. Bozeman

    Bozeman Guest

    Looking at the Vredstein web site, I see that S-licks have an inverse tread which crosses the
    straightline rolling surface. I have always used true slicks on my bikes: do these grooves cause
    significant extra rolling resistance?

    Anyone have tire recommendations for the area between stelvio's (thin slicks) and s-licks (wider,
    treaded)? I had an avocet on my old bike, there's only one tire for my current bike's front wheel
    size, but my new bike is going bake to 406 front.

    Craig

    Tags:

  2. Mike S

    Mike S Guest

    [email protected] (Bozeman) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Looking at the Vredstein web site, I see that S-licks have an inverse tread which crosses the
    > straightline rolling surface. I have always used true slicks on my bikes: do these grooves cause
    > significant extra rolling resistance?
    >
    > Anyone have tire recommendations for the area between stelvio's (thin slicks) and s-licks (wider,
    > treaded)? I had an avocet on my old bike, there's only one tire for my current bike's front wheel
    > size, but my new bike is going bake to 406 front.
    >
    > Craig

    We rode 1800 miles on our tandem with the S-Licks. I found them to be a very nice all around tire,
    decently fast with excellent traction and with a pleasant ride (not harsh like the narrow Grand
    Prixs etc. which I rode on my single recumbent). They were also highly flat resistant until
    encountering the dreaded goathead thorn out in New Mexico. The one drawback with them was that when
    we did flat they were tough to get off the rim, but since flats happen so seldom we could live with
    that problem. We have since changed to Comp Pools (our tandem has dual 20 inch wheels) and there has
    been a noticeable pick up in speed but with a boucier ride. I don't know about anything between the
    S-Lick and Stelvio width, but the S-Licks I found to be an all around performer ideal for not just
    city riding but for open country riding as well. Hope that helps.

  3. Akensmith

    Akensmith Guest

    > We have since changed to Comp Pools (our tandem has
    dual 20 inch wheels) and there has been a noticeable pick up in speed but with a boucier ride.>>

    Mike,

    This is interesting. I would have thought that the S-Licks would have been faster than the Comp
    Pools. As for the bouncy ride, our total team weight on our Columbia is ca. 340 lbs. I inflate the
    Comp Pools to at least 100psi. And since eliminating the pogo from the front suspension, there's no
    bounce at all. If we were to order the Columbia again, we'd order it without suspension, thereby
    saving both $$ and weight.

    Norm