how are your ankles and knees?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling archive' started by Unigeee, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Unigeee

    Unigeee Guest

    i'm curiouse to hear from some of you older trials and
    Muni riders.

    how are your knees and ankles. since i've been riding
    consistently, 1 year now, i find that my joints ache
    afterwards.

    does anyone else find this?

    what do you do for prevention?

    what do you do after?

    with roughly 37% of this forum 36 and over i figure we could
    all benifit from such a discussion.

    john

    --
    unigeee - Hmmmmm!
    unigeee's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5397

  2. Daino149

    Daino149 Guest

    On occasion I will have some pain after a ride. Long rides,
    or rides with lots of hills cause more pain then short or
    flat rides.

    There are several things I have found that helps:

    Stretching... It's very important to stretch. Normally, I
    ride a couple slow miles to warm up, and then I stretch
    before going any distance or attempt hills.

    Practice... The longer I ride, the better my technique gets
    and the less sore I get.

    Aspirin... After a long or demanding ride, take a couple
    aspirin. Ice should help too, but I don't normally have it
    available.

    It's also a good idea to take breaks during your rides.
    While taking a brake, continue to stretch.

    That's about all I have. I think more people can offer some
    better advice.

    How long have you been riding? When you start out, most of
    your energy goes into your feet fighting each other. This
    causes you to stress your legs much more. As you get better,
    it gets less and less noticeable.

    Daniel

    --
    daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

    Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino
    Sig count: 2

  3. I come from a mountainbike/ motorcycle racing background and
    have been riding MUni for close to a year. I'm 51 and
    fortunately don't experience any ankle or knee problems. My
    biggest problem is just muscle aches

    --
    Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

  4. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    I put longer cranks on at first to help ease the knees. That
    made a big difference because I was learning idling. For a
    while I had a hard time sleeping because my legs would
    throb; Vioxx helped with that. But now after riding a couple
    of years that has mostly gone away.

    Injuring ankles and knees, though, is a different story...

    --
    U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

    -- Dave Stockton

  5. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    I don't know why but I'm lucky that my ankles never hurt and
    my knees very rarely do. I'm 50 y.o. I do road rides up to
    20 km and MUni rides up to a few hours. The main physical
    problem from the road rides is crotch discomfort (numbness)
    and from MUni it is general tiredness, mostly in the quads.

    On Mon, 10 May 2004 22:43:19 -0500, "elmer" wrote:

    >I intend to live longer than the rest of you, and to be
    >riding my unicycles until the bitter end.

    You're not alone. John Foss once said that one of his life's
    objectives is to ride a unicycle on his 100th birthday.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    be sure to remove the saddle and simply sit on the seat
    post. this is far more comfortable - tennisgh22 on the

  6. Johnfoss

    Johnfoss Guest

    If your ankles hurt, check to see if you're on a KH, Summit, or Onza
    Trials uni. If your knees hurt, check to see if you're wearing some kind
    of knee protection! :D

    Okay. You didn't give your age but it shouldn't be so
    relevant. My findings are that my knees get sore if I do a
    lot more miles than I'm used to. I used to get sore knees
    when riding the 36 mile long 5 Boro Bike Tour in New York
    City. It was the only real long ride of the year for me on
    my big wheel, with 6.5" cranks. I think my knees would run
    out of "lube." Glucosamine, or whatever you call it.

    The same thing happened to me the first time I tired riding
    my Coker to work and back, a 16 mile round trip. I was fine
    on the way there, but my knee started bothering me soon
    after I started on my way home. This made me chicken to try
    it again for a while. But now I can do it several days in a
    row with no problems.

    So in general use, my knees and ankles don't get sore. If
    you're doing some real intense riding for a good part of the
    day and haven't been doing similar amounts before that, this
    is probably to be expected. If you're doing the same amount
    of riding as usual and it's making you sore, you need to pay
    close attention to your joints and follow the advice others
    are giving.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not
    because they are easy, but because they are hard." -- John F. Kennedy,

  7. Underdog

    Underdog Guest

    I'm 49 and new to uni. Been at it about 7 weeks now but
    often after practice, I have a little aching in the knees. I
    use ice and ibuprofen and hope that as my technique improves
    this will be less of a problem.

    --
    underdog - level 0.5 rider

    toast is god's way of saying 'eat more butter'
    underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

  8. Harper

    Harper Guest

    I have one bad knee and one worse knee. The worse knee hurts
    all the time so, who cares. The bad knee hurts some of the
    time so, who cares? It does not prevent me from doing
    trials, MUni and long Coker rides. I Coker 10 miles round
    trip everyday that it is not raining in the summer. Then I
    do a weekend ride of some kind with the Seattle group.

    --
    harper - Statuesque

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    "Stoke your own thread as much as you see fit, no problem." - Klaas
    Bil

    "Ugh, the Harpers; The worst neighbours in the world" - Tony Micelli

  9. Darchibald

    Darchibald Guest

    Thats so weird. I always assumed, (probably cuz of your
    signature picture thingies and your names) that daino149,
    and Krashing Kenny were young ones. Assumptions are weird.

    Not to jack your thread, I have horrible knees and they kill
    when I run, which is weird cuz I've been active all my life,
    but they don't hurt at all uni'ing. Unless of course its one
    of those falls where you take the crown hard on the inside
    of your knee. Ooooh thats painful,

    David

    Ps. I'm 15

    --
    darchibald - Unofficial level 3.8

    "Testacles still intact" ~ My mom's reaction after watching me do a
    suicide mount.
    darchibald's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6240

  10. darchibald wrote:
    > *Thats so weird. I always assumed, (probably cuz of your
    > signature picture thingies and your names) that daino149,
    > and Krashing Kenny were young ones. Assumptions are
    > weird. *

    Thanks David!!!!!!!

    I been told by many that I don't act my age, now if only I
    could find a way to not look so old :D :D

    --
    Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

  11. John_childs

    John_childs Guest

    Stretching. For me stretching is the key to avoiding
    knee pain.

    But it all depends on the type of knee pain that affects
    you. In my case it's my 'iliotibial band'
    (http://www.itbs.info/). For other people it may be the knee
    cap not tracking straight or some other muscle or tendon
    problem. For my Iliotibial Band problems, proper stretching
    keeps it from hurting. If I was to go on a long Coker ride
    without stretching properly beforehand I would possibly end
    up with some knee pain during and after the ride. I'm still
    very tentative about doing long Coker rides or multi-day
    Coker rides because of the possibility of the knee pain
    flaring up.

    Find a good book or pamphlet that covers stretching
    exercises for runners. There will be stretches in there
    specific for the iliotibial band, for the knee cap (patella)
    tracking, and other problem areas. If you have knee pain due
    to muscle or tendon tightness, find out what it is that is
    causing the pain and pay extra special attention to
    stretching the parts that will make it feel better.

    Course, if you've got actual joint problems (like arthritis)
    you're in a whole other ball of wax.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  12. Elmer

    Elmer Guest

    I intend to live longer than the rest of you, and to be
    riding my unicycles until the bitter end.

    I prevent pain by keeping myself semi-starved and light.

    I eat lots of fish-oil capsules to lubricate my
    joints.(Molecularly distilled fish-oil so I don't get the
    heavy metals)

    I do not worry at all about muscle aches and pains until I
    physically cannot move.

    I listen carefully when my joints talk to me, such as that
    night I tried to learn one-foot riding for hours on end
    and kept landing with all my wieght (not much) on my left
    leg. My knee said it wanted me to not do that again for a
    couple of days, so I listened and keep my sessions a
    little shorter.

    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

    --
    elmer - uniimpaired

    "At 40 life begins...to show."
    elmer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5193

  13. Elmer

    Elmer Guest

  14. Quark Soup

    Quark Soup Guest

    I'm 31 and I've been riding a year now. That's not really
    old, but in athletic terms, I'm no spring chicken either.

    When I started riding, I went from many years of sloth-like
    inactivity right into practicing 1-2 hours a day and
    eventually ended up with tendonitis in my knees and
    achillies tendons. I had to take about a 3-week break from
    riding to let the inflamation go down.

    The tendonitis lasted another 6 months, but didn't stop me
    from riding. I just took precaucions like stretching as much
    as possible, and mainly not pushing it. I had to build up my
    activity gradually. I no longer have problems or pain in my
    knees or ankles, which is great 'cause I thought I would be
    fighting it the rest of my life.

    I second all of daino149's advice. I've been doing the same
    and it seems to be paying off nicely.

    --
    quark soup - Frood who knows where his towel is.

    quark soup

    "OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good
    thinking, yeah? " - Douglas Adams
    quark soup's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5417

  15. Cyberbellum

    Cyberbellum Guest

    My knees are still in good shape despite lots of abuse so I
    must be doing something right.

    Four things have hurt my knees:

    1) Blunt trauma to the kneecap.

    This bruises the cartilage in behind the kneecap. It's
    imperative to apply RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression and
    Elevation) as soon as possible for this kind of injury. Go
    easy on the compression. The cartilage has a very poor blood
    supply and heals slowly. DON'T do anything to stress the
    kneecap (e.g., deep knee bends) until the cartilage heals
    (weeks, not days). I did and the Doc said I was lucky not to
    have killed it off. That would have been a real mess.

    Obviously, good armor would have prevented the injury in the
    first place, but at the time I was swimming in whitewater. I
    didn't know the rock was there. :(

    2) Overuse.

    A rule of thumb for racing cyclists is to never raise your
    milage faster than 10% per week. I don't know how that
    translates to unicycling except to say that in bicycling it
    seems ridiculously slow, especialy early in the season when
    the weekly milage is low. Anyone capable of riding 50 miles
    in a week can do 100 in a day, but DON'T! It takes a long
    time to grow the cartilage, tendons and ligaments to take
    the strain the muscles can dish out.

    For a couple of seasons I didn't follow this advice, pushed
    it early in the training season, and wound up in pain
    throughout the racing season. I had to ice my knees for a
    couple of hours after each ride just to keep walking. In
    subsequent years I followed this rule to the letter and
    never had to ice. I was faster, too.

    3) Sudden bend/twist the wrong way with force.

    I tore my anterior cruciate ligament playing soccer. The
    details are not important - once the ACL is badly torn it
    needs to be replaced. There isn't much you can do to prevent
    this kind of injury other than to learn how to unweight the
    leg and fall before it gets busted.

    The only good side effect of this adventure in pain was to
    see orthoscopic pictures of the inside of my knee. The Doc
    says my cartilage is perfect - the bash healed completely,
    and no lasting effects from the overuse. :) If you stop
    abusing them there is hope that they'll recover.

    4) Muscular imbalance.

    This one ended my racing career. My outer quads got so
    strong that they would pull my patella out of the groove
    when I walked. It was painful. The Doc says that the poor
    tracking of my patella caused it to load up on only a couple
    of points instead of the whole gliding surface. It was only
    a matter of time before I wore through the cartilage
    completely. His prescription was to stop riding and let my
    thighs attrophe to a normal size.

    I think a stretching program might have helped a tiny bit,
    but what I really needed was selective strengthening of the
    under-used muscles. The lesson I learned was to go for
    variety, not focused mass. For this reason I'm not a big fan
    of weight machines. Free weights are better, and
    calisthenics are best.

    Keep your legs strong, don't bash them a lot, and keep them
    from twisting under load and you won't have any problems
    with your knees. Wear armor and UPD wisely.

    --
    cyberbellum - Level 1.0 rider!

    Optimists think the glass is half full. Pesimists think the glass is
    half empty. Engineers think the glass is too big.
    cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550

  16. Uniwitold

    Uniwitold Guest

    By the time I started unicycling I was 65.I had dicomfort in both
    knees.Both of them were scooped by my friend (outcome of winsurfing) and
    I could see some wear and tear in them (It was done under spinal
    anaesthesia).One of my midfoot was hurting too(past history of small
    braek of cuboid bone).
    At the start I felt a bit more all of mentioned above but after a while
    all pains has gone.
    I would not say I am serious unicyclist but i do ride almost every day.
    As an ortopaedic surgeon of some experience I have done few thousends of
    arthroscopies of knees and I have witnessed kind of a healing of the
    cartillage.
    The most funny part of this uni adventure is....I wanted to learn it to
    eliminate gravitation as an wearing off factor in old age.
    I feel ,in a way I have succeded in doing so.:) (now I am 68)

    --
    Uniwitold

    Veni !Vidi !Mount ! ' Public does not perceive it reacts'. Greg
    Harper.
    Uniwitold's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2181

  17. I'm only 15 so you probably don't even want me viewing your
    thread. but anyway: knees: I get a bit of an ache in my
    right knee when I do my (almost) daily 4mile round trip
    into town on my 20". Longer cranks: this may be because I'm
    a short-arse, but I find that longer cranks actually make
    it worse, the pain doesn't really seem to come from the
    actual pressure needed to push the peadal down so much as
    the movement, and a longer crank means the seat has to be
    down lower for me to reach it at the bottom of the stroke,
    and my knee has to be bent a lot tighter at the top. For me
    I think the problem is just that I haven't really done that
    much riding that often before, and hopefull it will go away
    again soon.

    --
    theamazingmolio - A Unicylist, a juggler, and a prat

    Luke Duller ([email protected])
    Never trust anything you read on the internet
    theamazingmolio's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5931

  18. Harper

    Harper Guest

    theamazingmolio wrote:
    > *I'm only 15 so you probably don't even want me viewing
    > your thread. *

    This is not an age exclusive thread. You are always welcome
    to participate in discussions. This one is primarily about
    joints and your contribution is significant. Just because
    most of the responses in this thread are from folks who
    have been fifteen two, three, or four times doesn't mean
    that someone who is fifteen doesn't have something
    important to add.

    --
    harper - Statuesque

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    "Stoke your own thread as much as you see fit, no problem." - Klaas
    Bil

    "Ugh, the Harpers; The worst neighbours in the world" - Tony Micelli

  19. Johnfoss

    Johnfoss Guest

    theamazingmolio wrote:
    > *knees: I get a bit of an ache in my right knee when I do
    > my (almost) daily 4mile round trip into town on my 20".
    > Longer cranks: this may be because I'm a short-arse, but I
    > find that longer cranks actually make it worse,...*
    Ouch! You need a bigger wheel and smaller cranks! Yes,
    longer cranks force your legs through a larger range of
    motion, and with a small wheel you're going to pedal pretty
    fast. That's a lot of repetitive movement for the joints.

    If you can, get shorter cranks, a bigger wheel, or both.

    This is a great thread. Lots of good joint advice! Kudos to
    Elmer for taking better care of himself than I. We will
    challenge each other to a longevity contest! I just hope
    neither of our ends are bitter.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not
    because they are easy, but because they are hard." -- John F. Kennedy,

  20. Unigeee

    Unigeee Guest

    this thread is great. i'm 37 by the way and have been quite
    physically active all my life in adventure sports. i've
    unicyled for 4 years, trials and muni for 1. and love it!!

    I'm not talkong about pain i'm talking about aches that i
    ride through and may inhibit how high i can jump. the
    technique is comming along. the one tech change that i have
    adapted is to not just land on my ankles during drops (feet
    on pedals), but to engage them (flex to prepare for the
    impact). any other helpful longevity provoking tips from you
    century club seekers?

    i agree with the advice on stretching and warming into the
    ride. it's easy to just go too hard core too fast. what
    stretches would anyone recomend?

    and i like the advice on reasonable incremental advancement
    in order to allow the body to build up.

    well, i'm done work, it's nice and sunny out, time for an
    urban trials ride. and yes john it's a kh24 without the
    anklebitters and i do religiausly wear leg armour:D

    john