how are your ankles and knees?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling archive' started by Unigeee, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Uniwitold

    Uniwitold Guest

    If for some reason I do have any pains and aches in my ankle
    or knee I do put magnet wrappers on over the night. 9 out of
    10 the next morning there is not symptoms. This is not
    exactly 'magic', although everything
    is. I assume it slowes blood stream and permits more time
    for 'the goodies' to go into that part of the affected
    area where they are needed.;) It may or may not work- in
    any age.It may replace, in some
    cases.....antyinflamatory drugs.:D

    --
    Uniwitold

    Veni !Vidi !Mount ! ' Public does not perceive it reacts'. Greg
    Harper.
    Uniwitold's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2181

  2. johnfoss wrote:
    > *If you can, get shorter cranks, a bigger wheel, or both.
    > *

    I fully intend to, but I have to get some money first, which
    might be slightly more tricky. The obvious answer would be
    to sell my bike, as I haven't used it for months, but the
    state its in I think I'd end up paying someone to take it
    away for me!

    --
    theamazingmolio - A Unicylist, a juggler, and a prat

    Luke Duller ([email protected])
    Never trust anything you read on the internet
    theamazingmolio's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5931

  3. John_childs

    John_childs Guest

    unigeee wrote:
    > *I'm not talkong about pain i'm talking about aches that i
    > ride through and may inhibit how high i can jump. the
    > technique is comming along. the one tech change that i
    > have adapted is to not just land on my ankles during drops
    > (feet on pedals), but to engage them (flex to prepare for
    > the impact). any other helpful longevity provoking tips
    > from you century club seekers? *

    If it's just aches rather than pains, yeah, I get aches and
    soreness too after long rides. Mostly it's the muni weekends
    and the Moab Muni Fest that do me in. That's two or three
    days of long muni rides in a row. My leg muscles are always
    sore after that. More conditioning would help along with
    hiring a private masseur. That's what we need for the next
    muni weekend -- a masseur.

    I also don't like the ankle pains caused by landing a drop
    when the ankles are flexed too much. It's an initial sharp
    "ouch" and then a dull ache for a while afterwards. I try
    to avoid that, and it hasn't happened to me recently so
    maybe I'm getting better at preventing it. I'm not big on
    drops so that is one reason it doesn't happen to me much.
    But sometimes it happens while just riding a trail that has
    small little step drops and you just hit one of them in the
    wrong pedal position or bad foot posture and Bam! you get
    the sting. It sucks when that happens on just a little
    drop. I don't know how to really avoid that ankle sting.
    I'm not going to wear a restricting brace because I need to
    be able to flex my ankles for proper riding. Maybe it
    happens to the young kids to and it's only the old guys
    that complain about it.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  4. Nathan

    Nathan Guest

    I almost don't want to answer here because my answer may
    jinx me somehow. I've been cycling lots since I was 24
    years old (21 years ago). Unicycling in the last 6+ years
    only. I have never ever had knee or ankle problems other
    than injuries from crashes. Make sure your knees are warm
    enough, don't overdo it, stretching may help. Those sound
    like good ideas, but I don't do ANY of them - I just ride.
    Someday I expect to start having problems somewhere and
    will then start being more careful I guess. Sorry this is
    no help at all...

    ---Nathan

    --
    nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
    nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

  5. Cyberbellum

    Cyberbellum Guest

    theamazingmolio wrote:
    > *I'm only 15 so you probably don't even want me viewing
    > your thread. but anyway: knees: I get a bit of an ache in
    > my right knee when I do my (almost) daily 4mile round trip
    > into town on my 20". *

    Since you are 15 you might have Osgood-Schlaters disease.
    This is an overuse injury that results in
    inflamation/irritation of the shin bone just below your
    knee. I'd see a doctor.

    To explain what might be going on I have to describe how
    bones grow. When babies are born their bones are mostly
    cartilage. They aren't really bones as we know them because
    there is very little calcium in them. The long bones quickly
    begin to deposit calcium in the middle and end caps, but the
    two regions of cartilage between the middle and the end caps
    stay soft. It's these zones that grow as the kid gets older.
    In a 10 year old the cartilage zones are just thin plates
    that separate the bony shaft from the hard end caps. When
    you go through adolescence

    cartilage to grow rapidly, but the calcification process
    increases even more rapidly. This is the famous "growth
    spurt." It's over when the calcification process consumes
    the cartilage growth plate and your long bones become one
    piece of calcium.

    So what is Osgood-Schlater's disease? There is a major
    growth plate in your shin bone about an inch below your
    knee joint. This is also where the patelar tendon attaches.
    The patelar tendon holds your kneecap over your knee when
    the quads pull on it. When you bend the knee under load
    (pedaling, for instance) the growth plate is under
    tremendous stress. With all the growing and calcification
    that goes on in adolescence this stress may be too much and
    it can start growing funny. You don't want that because
    then it might misalign your knee joint for life. Like I
    said, I'd see a doctor and get a professional opinion. I
    think they need to take an x-ray or something to do a
    proper diagnosis. My little brother had this when he was 15
    and had to spend 6 months in a cast to let his bones rest.
    (I think the Doc just wanted to make sure he didn't cheat
    and play soccer again.)

    The other possiblity is that you've got the same muscular
    imbalance that I had when I was racing. The teardrop muscle
    above your knee on the inside front of your thigh isn't as
    strong as the muscles on outer front of your thigh so the
    patella is pulled to the outside and tracks poorly. This
    one is simple to fix if you've got the discipline: sit in a
    chair, put a sandbag or other weight on your foot, and
    straighten your leg. Hold it out as long as you can, then
    let it down. Rest a little bit and repeat 5 times every
    morning and evening. Again, don't just take my word for it.
    Go see a Doc first. Don't neglect your knees! They're
    really useful.

    Good luck,

    Tim

    --
    cyberbellum - Level 1.0 rider!

    Optimists think the glass is half full. Pesimists think the glass is
    half empty. Engineers think the glass is too big.
    cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550

  6. Unigeee

    Unigeee Guest

    > I also don't like the ankle pains caused by landing a drop
    > when the ankles are flexed too much. It's an initial sharp
    > "ouch" and then a dull ache for a while afterwards. I try
    > to avoid that, and it hasn't happened to me recently so
    > maybe I'm getting better at preventing it.

    the sting, that's a good thing to call it. I'm not big on
    drops meaning i don't seek them out on purpose but with
    trials riding i find myself regularly dropping three feet+.
    you probably have gotten good at it having discovered that
    you don't like the sting. i'm getting much better at it by
    pointing the balls of my feet downwards and absorbing to
    flat. with that i get no sting. i expect that eventualy i
    won't even think about it.

    i also find that Muni produces less joint ache, just
    ordinary tired muscles.

    > Those sound like good ideas, but I don't do ANY of them -
    > I just ride. Someday I expect to start having problems
    > somewhere and will then start being more careful I guess.
    > Sorry this is no help at all...

    lucky you. i generaly have just ridden as well and now find
    myself having to admit that i need to just think about it a
    little bit. keep it up though, you're doing soething right.

    john

    --
    unigeee - Hmmmmm!
    unigeee's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5397

  7. Teachndad

    Teachndad Guest

    > This one is simple to fix if you've got the discipline:
    > sit in a chair, put a sandbag or other weight on your
    > foot, and straighten your leg. Hold it out as long as you
    > can, then let it down.

    I sat here reading this and then began doing exactly that
    while reading this thread. Just a suggestion, combines the
    enjoyment of reading the board and exercising all at once. I
    gotta remember to do it more often.

    I have been doing drops @ 2' and I have been landing flat
    footed on the pedals. I did this thinking I would minimize
    the ankle sting, that John mentioned. Turned out, I injured
    the area that is the arch of my foot. Damned if you do,
    damned if you don't. I could barely walk this morning. I
    stretched it a bit and took some Mobic and that seems to
    have helped. I can't take Ibuprofin, it makes me light
    headed. NOt fun.

    I will have to go back and work on the drops at lower
    heights and work on technique. I also may have to raise the
    Psi, because I was bottoming out everytime.

    I found that lowering the seat for obstacles has
    reallyhelped, and raising it for on the open trail has
    helped as well. It might be inconvenient to switch the
    height, but if it keeps me riding, what the Heck.

    I find that the rides on Muni weekends are good for the
    knees because you end up stopping so much to play on parts
    of the trail. It allows a break on the knees. Stretch,
    before moving on and I can ride farther, than if it was just
    continuous mileage - thats when the knee pain sets
    in.

    I have learned to stop and rest, stretch and play, then move
    on. No heavy duty mileage for this "Cat".

    --
    teachndad - The Munieer

    Rod Wylie

    teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

  8. John_childs

    John_childs Guest

    teachndad wrote:
    > * I have been doing drops @ 2' and I have been landing
    > flat footed on the pedals. I did this thinking I would
    > minimize the ankle sting, that John mentioned. Turned
    > out, I injured the area that is the arch of my foot.
    > Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I could barely
    > walk this morning. I stretched it a bit and took some
    > Mobic and that seems to have helped. I can't take
    > Ibuprofin, it makes me light headed. NOt fun. *

    How soft are the soles of your riding shoes? If the shoes
    are too soft then drops can indeed hurt the bottom of
    your feet.

    I had to add 'Dr. Scholl's Advantage Sport insoles'
    (http://www.drscholls.com/product.aspx?prodid=56) to my
    AXO/661 Dually shoes because the shoe sole was too soft. The
    Dr. Scholl's inserts have a plastic piece to support the
    arch. That plastic piece just happens to be in the right
    spot to keep the pedals from hurting the bottom of your feet
    when doing drops. With the new insoles, drops do not hurt
    the bottom of my feet at all.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  9. Harper

    Harper Guest

    Rod-

    Shoes make a BIG difference in foot comfort after drops. If
    I wear the flat soled Airwalks that I commute by Coker with
    for drops it hurts my feet like crazy. High arched, stiff
    running shoes make a HUGE difference. Now I use those in
    combination with ankle support that has a stiff arch plate
    which does it all.

    I have been doing the leglift excercises as well but I use
    either a piano or a Volkswagen instead of a sandbag.
    Sandbags are for sissies.

    --
    harper - Statuesque

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    "Stoke your own thread as much as you see fit, no problem." - Klaas
    Bil

    "Ugh, the Harpers; The worst neighbours in the world" - Tony Micelli

  10. Spyder

    Spyder Guest

    harper wrote:
    > *
    >
    > I have been doing the leglift excercises as well but I use
    > either a piano or a Volkswagen instead of a sandbag.
    > Sandbags are for sissies. *

    I hope you're using a concert grand, because my Mom uses a
    compact, apartment size one.

    --
    spyder - Bubbles

    There are no stupid questions,