How are your knees!!

John Picton

Dec 3, 2003
Is it just my knees that creak? No pain, just creaking!

How about everyone else? Should I be concerned?

Does having good cycling shoes that fit to your pedals help you rather than toe clips? Any other opinions on how to save your knees?

I think clipless is better in the long run for the knees and joints than toe clips, if for nothing else than with clipless once you get the proper positioning, your foot is held in the right place. With toe clips/straps, you have a much greater occurance of sliding around and getting out of the best position, which could bother the knees over time.

My 43 year old knees creak a bit sometimes, and I get the 'snap, crackle, & pop' going sometimes too, but that's how I've always been. ;) It's probably just the muscles and tendons settling back into place once you're riding again.

But if you're having knee pain, it's usually a sign of improper saddle position and height, and/or misadjusted cleats. Go back and check those.

The poll in it's early stages is suggesting that creaking is normal and therefore perhaps I am too!

John Picton said:
The poll in it's early stages is suggesting that creaking is normal and therefore perhaps I am too!

sounds like you're normal. i, on the other hand, am 33 with a touch of arthritis! :(

speedplays and stretching have helped (but not eliminated) my knee pain. toss in some glucosamine and chondritan as placebos and i'm good to go! ;)

Anyone used Cod Liver Oil tablets. I've heard they are good for joints (not the smoking variety!).

Haven't heard of using CLO for that, but it can't hurt, right?

I'm very careful with my knees.

I take great care when getting up and down off low seats, using my arms to push myself up when possible.

I get into my car like a 'granny'; first sittng on the seat, then swinging both legs around and in (I've strained my knee a couple of times getting into my car).

Huh? I'm confused. Are your knee's making actual audible sounds or is that just some kind of metaphor?
If so, then no, I guess my knees don't creak or make any other sounds. The only sounds I make while riding come out of my mouth, or (occasionally) my bibs.

RC2 said:
Huh? I'm confused. Are your knee's making actual audible sounds or is that just some kind of metaphor?
If so, then no, I guess my knees don't creak or make any other sounds. The only sounds I make while riding come out of my mouth, or (occasionally) my bibs.

No, it's literal; old knees actually makes sounds :)

That's interesting - my knees have never hurt, never let out so much as a peep. My butt, on the other hand, makes all sorts of weird noises.

"give my knees to the needy, don't pull that stuff on me"

--John Prine

JohnO said:
That's interesting - my knees have never hurt, never let out so much as a peep. My butt, on the other hand, makes all sorts of weird noises.

"give my knees to the needy, don't pull that stuff on me"

--John Prine

consider yourself lucky and hope things stay that way.

definately try clo....

i used it when i was younger... forgot to buy a box and just got out of the habit... back into taking them daily now and it has made a differance for me

jonny_velo said:
definately try clo....

i used it when i was younger... forgot to buy a box and just got out of the habit... back into taking them daily now and it has made a differance for me
Two Words:
Glucosomine Sulfate (Not Glucosomine Chondroitin!)

drewski said:
aren't they suposed to work well together, though?
http://www.health-pages.com/pain/gs.html

Excerpt:

Is Chondroitin Worthwhile with Glucosamine?
No. Chondroitin sulfate consists of derivatives of glucosamine sulfate which are partially hydrolized (called glycosaminoglycans), which are further attached to sugars. These are long chemical strings, 50-100 times the size of glucosamine sulfate, and based on their size, according to recent studies, will pass through a healthy human intestinal lining with only 0 to 13% of that ingested.3,5,12,14

This is mainly of interest because Chondroitin is quite expensive, with a retail price of about $25 for 100 (250mg) capsules; a quality product with both Glucosamine and Chondroitin would retail for about $45-$50 for 100 capsules. That is, as the doctors love to say, expensive urine! In light of this, we no longer offer either Chondroitin, or Glucosamine with Chondroitin. Those taking Glucosamine Chondroitin are likely just absorbing the Glucosamine.

I am old. All my parts creak by days. And my eyes are weak. And I think my ass has dropped at least two inches.. And my lumbago ...don't get me started...

But the biking helps.

drewski said:
interesting information. thanks!
De Nada.... this creaky-kneed 37 y/o is happy to provide the info.

Also, I buy my GS from Walmart (Spring Valley brand) 1000mg - and take 1 twice a day. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP but GOOD GOOD GOOD

It also helps to either get a few servings a week of oily fish (or take Omega-3 tabs)

I just started cycling,after running for 5 years.You wanna talk about creaky knees.

I find if your bike is the right size,and you have good shoes/pedals,everything should settle down nicely.But that is the humble opinion of a newbie!

Good luck!!!

John Picton said:
Is it just my knees that creak? No pain, just creaking!

How about everyone else? Should I be concerned?

Does having good cycling shoes that fit to your pedals help you rather than toe clips? Any other opinions on how to save your knees?

I'm 16 and mine crack when I get up from kneeling and sometines sitting down. Absolutely no pain though.

Had osgood schlatters disease (think thats how you spell it) before I started riding which caused me a bit of pain and I think that might be the cause of cracking. Haven't worn trousers in three years so that probably doesnt help either. I think its pretty safe to say that you've got nothing to worry about.