How bad has you're chafing experience been?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by cldpsu, Jun 22, 2006.

1. cldpsu

cldpsu New Member

At least i believe to be experiencing chafing, im not really sure, it has been going on for about 1 week now. the area where my testicles meet with my inner thigh is very irritated and it burns terribly whenever i do some sort of cardio where salt crystallizes on the irritated skin. I feel like it will never go away and so long as i keep biking will i be victim to these markings summoned by the chafe gods. Sorry, i feel like i should be a little more comical about it or else i'll actually get furious and punch a baby. I started reading about how chafing occurs from not having the correct saddle, yet ive used the same saddle for a couple of summers and just these last two weeks have i experienced this. i guess it didn't necessarily have to happen when i first started riding anyways. I just wonder whether other factors are involved (dirty towel, this damn heat causing a constant moist atmosphere down in the depths of my underwear...). My main question is for you victims of such tragedy: how long did you endure this unpleasant experience?

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

You really shouldn't have to endure it. You need to figure out why it's happening. Is the saddle comfy? Is it at the right height? Is it centered or rotated off center w/ respect to the top tube? Do you have a leg length discrepency? Are you using bike shorts/bibs? Are you sure the chafing isn't part of jock itch?

For now, you oughta get some chamois creme or summat to ease your pain on the bike.

3. Aussie Steve

Aussie Steve New Member

Raised my seat by about an inch, pedalling felt better, but I chafed for a few days. Now I am used to that height, the chafing stopped. Maybe I changed the way I sit on the saddle?

4. capwater

capwater New Member

DOH Homer!!!!! Ditch the underwear. Search this forum, tons of discussion on that topic. Get good quality cycling shorts and wear sans undies. The whole idea is to minimize and type of movement between skin and material.

5. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

Second that. Bike shorts also get the moisture away from your skin more quickly.

6. Eastway82

Eastway82 New Member

Second that too, but would also add, wash your shorts every day. Even that won't help if you get a bad case of Jock Itch, which is a fungal infection like athlete's foot, so you'd have to wash 'em hot to get rid of it, which knackers the lycra and insert. Try some Lamisil cream and/or powder. If it's jock itch it won't go away on its own.

7. cldpsu

cldpsu New Member

im using lotrimin ultra incase it is jock itch.. i have some bianchi bibs, like the ones ulrich wore when he was riding bianchi. I thought they were good? maybe the padding around the chafed area is just not the right length... thanks for the help

8. Jim R

Jim R New Member

I have Pearl Izumi Microsensors and a Fizik Arione saddle (both very nice) but I chafe much more if I don't wear underwear. For me it really is better to have a layer of cotton in between. We are all different I guess.

9. Dash01

Dash01 New Member

I opted to not buy cycling shorts (not my thing). I wear regular shorts with Under Armor compression shorts underneat. No chafing for me. I got the compression shorts for football, but they help out a ton for running and physical activity in general. Keeps the goods in order.

Good luck
    -Eric

10. 2Tall

2Tall New Member

+1

I use the same combo. Recently did a century, and it worked great.

11. graycat

graycat New Member

my brother once chaffed until he bled! :eek: he now swears by the undershorts and cycling shorts combo and i can see why :) lol

Tim.