How bad has you're chafing experience been?

cldpsu

Nov 2, 2003
At least i believe to be experiencing chafing, im not really sure, it has been going on for about 1 week now. the area where my testicles meet with my inner thigh is very irritated and it burns terribly whenever i do some sort of cardio where salt crystallizes on the irritated skin. I feel like it will never go away and so long as i keep biking will i be victim to these markings summoned by the chafe gods. Sorry, i feel like i should be a little more comical about it or else i'll actually get furious and punch a baby. I started reading about how chafing occurs from not having the correct saddle, yet ive used the same saddle for a couple of summers and just these last two weeks have i experienced this. i guess it didn't necessarily have to happen when i first started riding anyways. I just wonder whether other factors are involved (dirty towel, this damn heat causing a constant moist atmosphere down in the depths of my underwear...). My main question is for you victims of such tragedy: how long did you endure this unpleasant experience?

cldpsu said:
At least i believe to be experiencing chafing, im not really sure, it has been going on for about 1 week now. the area where my testicles meet with my inner thigh is very irritated and it burns terribly whenever i do some sort of cardio where salt crystallizes on the irritated skin. I feel like it will never go away and so long as i keep biking will i be victim to these markings summoned by the chafe gods. Sorry, i feel like i should be a little more comical about it or else i'll actually get furious and punch a baby. I started reading about how chafing occurs from not having the correct saddle, yet ive used the same saddle for a couple of summers and just these last two weeks have i experienced this. i guess it didn't necessarily have to happen when i first started riding anyways. I just wonder whether other factors are involved (dirty towel, this damn heat causing a constant moist atmosphere down in the depths of my underwear...). My main question is for you victims of such tragedy: how long did you endure this unpleasant experience?

You really shouldn't have to endure it. You need to figure out why it's happening. Is the saddle comfy? Is it at the right height? Is it centered or rotated off center w/ respect to the top tube? Do you have a leg length discrepency? Are you using bike shorts/bibs? Are you sure the chafing isn't part of jock itch?

For now, you oughta get some chamois creme or summat to ease your pain on the bike.

Raised my seat by about an inch, pedalling felt better, but I chafed for a few days. Now I am used to that height, the chafing stopped. Maybe I changed the way I sit on the saddle?

cldpsu said:
this damn heat causing a constant moist atmosphere down in the depths of my underwear

DOH Homer!!!!! Ditch the underwear. Search this forum, tons of discussion on that topic. Get good quality cycling shorts and wear sans undies. The whole idea is to minimize and type of movement between skin and material.

capwater said:
DOH Homer!!!!! Ditch the underwear. Search this forum, tons of discussion on that topic. Get good quality cycling shorts and wear sans undies. The whole idea is to minimize and type of movement between skin and material.
Second that. Bike shorts also get the moisture away from your skin more quickly.

capwater said:

Second that too, but would also add, wash your shorts every day. Even that won't help if you get a bad case of Jock Itch, which is a fungal infection like athlete's foot, so you'd have to wash 'em hot to get rid of it, which knackers the lycra and insert. Try some Lamisil cream and/or powder. If it's jock itch it won't go away on its own.

im using lotrimin ultra incase it is jock itch.. i have some bianchi bibs, like the ones ulrich wore when he was riding bianchi. I thought they were good? maybe the padding around the chafed area is just not the right length... thanks for the help

I have Pearl Izumi Microsensors and a Fizik Arione saddle (both very nice) but I chafe much more if I don't wear underwear. For me it really is better to have a layer of cotton in between. We are all different I guess.

I opted to not buy cycling shorts (not my thing). I wear regular shorts with Under Armor compression shorts underneat. No chafing for me. I got the compression shorts for football, but they help out a ton for running and physical activity in general. Keeps the goods in order.

Good luck
-Eric

Dash01 said:
I opted to not buy cycling shorts (not my thing). I wear regular shorts with Under Armor compression shorts underneat. No chafing for me. I got the compression shorts for football, but they help out a ton for running and physical activity in general. Keeps the goods in order.

Good luck
-Eric

+1

I use the same combo. Recently did a century, and it worked great.

Dash01 said:

Good luck
-Eric
my brother once chaffed until he bled! :eek: he now swears by the undershorts and cycling shorts combo and i can see why :) lol

Tim.