How bad is this?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S., Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    my fork just started seeping about 2 weeks ago. It's a 2000(?) RS SID SL. I"ve got about 700 miles
    on the bike/shock, I bought it very lightly used so I think there weren't tons of miles on it before
    I got it. LBS guy said wait until end of summer to rebuild... I'd like second, third and fourth
    opinions, a couple of flames and a few stupid comments please

    thanks

    penny

    www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/forkseep.jpg

    Tags:

  2. Penny says:

    >I'd like second, third and fourth opinions, a couple of flames and a few stupid comments please

    Well, just to get the "stupid comments" out of the way to make room for the good stuff:

    "Get a rigid fork and then you won't have to worry" "You should be SS-ing - get with it" "Duct
    Tape........."

    HTH

    Steve finally realised which niche he had been in for a while. ;-)

  3. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    > my fork just started seeping about 2 weeks ago. It's a 2000(?) RS SID SL. I"ve got about 700 miles
    > on the bike/shock, I bought it very lightly used
    so
    > I think there weren't tons of miles on it before I got it. LBS guy said
    wait
    > until end of summer to rebuild... I'd like second, third and fourth opinions, a couple of flames
    > and a few stupid comments please

    I have a Marzocchi that's sitting around and feeling lonely if you're interested in acquiring a
    "real" fork...

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  4. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Penny S. <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > my fork just started seeping about 2 weeks ago. It's a 2000(?) RS SID SL. I"ve got about 700 miles
    > on the bike/shock, I bought it very lightly used so I think there weren't tons of miles on it
    > before I got it. LBS guy said wait until end of summer to rebuild... I'd like second, third and
    > fourth opinions, a couple of flames and a few stupid comments please
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > penny
    >
    > www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/forkseep.jpg

    This could be a second/third/fourth opinion, but it could also be a stupid comment. take it as you
    wish as i know my knowledge has so much value in this group.

    IMO, it doesn't look that bad. clean it up before each ride and keep an eye on how much it seeps
    every time you ride. that to me looks like just a little splash of oil. from the picture, i can't
    tell if it is running down the fork much, but looks to me like it is just seeping out on the top. if
    it runs down the fork, i would get it serviced.
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  5. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > my fork just started seeping about 2 weeks ago. It's a 2000(?) RS SID SL. I"ve got about 700 miles
    > on the bike/shock, I bought it very lightly used
    so
    > I think there weren't tons of miles on it before I got it. LBS guy said
    wait
    > until end of summer to rebuild... I'd like second, third and fourth opinions, a couple of flames
    > and a few stupid comments please
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > penny
    >
    > www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/forkseep.jpg

    Wipe off seepage.

    Ignore problem and hope it goes away.

    Ride hell out of it and then buy a Marzocchi on sale.

    Bill "always helpful" S.

  6. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Carla A-G <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > > my fork just started seeping about 2 weeks ago. It's a 2000(?) RS SID SL. I"ve got about 700
    > > miles on the bike/shock, I bought it very lightly used
    > so
    > > I think there weren't tons of miles on it before I got it. LBS guy said
    > wait
    > > until end of summer to rebuild... I'd like second, third and fourth opinions, a couple of flames
    > > and a few stupid comments please
    >
    > I have a Marzocchi that's sitting around and feeling lonely if you're interested in acquiring a
    > "real" fork...
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    I don't suppose the contents of my bike parts fund ($30) would cause it to work it's way here should
    Penny not want/need it.
    --
    ~Travis (yeah, i know, i'm dreaming again)

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  7. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Technician thoughtfully penned:
    > Carla A-G <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    >> "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>> my fork just started seeping about 2 weeks ago. It's a 2000(?) RS SID SL. I"ve got about 700
    >>> miles on the bike/shock, I bought it very lightly used so I think there weren't tons of miles on
    >>> it before I got it. LBS guy said wait until end of summer to rebuild... I'd like second, third
    >>> and fourth opinions, a couple of flames and a few stupid comments please
    >>
    >> I have a Marzocchi that's sitting around and feeling lonely if you're interested in acquiring a
    >> "real" fork...
    >>
    >> - CA-G
    >>
    >> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
    >>

    > I don't suppose the contents of my bike parts fund ($30) would cause it to work it's way here
    > should Penny not want/need it.

    hey I've got first dibs, I like Sorni's advice...

    p.

  8. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Penny S. <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > Technician thoughtfully penned:
    > > Carla A-G <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > >> "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]...
    > >>
    > >> I have a Marzocchi that's sitting around and feeling lonely if you're interested in acquiring a
    > >> "real" fork...
    > >>
    > >> - CA-G
    > >>
    > >> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
    > >>

    > > I don't suppose the contents of my bike parts fund ($30) would cause it to work it's way here
    > > should Penny not want/need it.
    >
    > hey I've got first dibs, I like Sorni's advice...

    already figured that out, as per the phrase "should Penny not want/need it". :p
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  9. Btteiro

    Btteiro Guest

    Did you said a Rock Sucks SID SL ???

    oooohh!! OK!!!

    Marzocchi rules

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> escreveu na mensagem
    news:[email protected]...
    > my fork just started seeping about 2 weeks ago. It's a 2000(?) RS SID SL. I"ve got about 700 miles
    > on the bike/shock, I bought it very lightly used
    so
    > I think there weren't tons of miles on it before I got it. LBS guy said
    wait
    > until end of summer to rebuild... I'd like second, third and fourth opinions, a couple of flames
    > and a few stupid comments please
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > penny
    >
    > www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/forkseep.jpg

  10. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:31:00 -0700, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >my fork just started seeping about 2 weeks ago. It's a 2000(?) RS SID SL. I"ve got about 700 miles
    >on the bike/shock, I bought it very lightly used so I think there weren't tons of miles on it
    >before I got it. LBS guy said wait until end of summer to rebuild... I'd like second, third and
    >fourth opinions, a couple of flames and a few stupid comments please
    >
    >thanks
    >
    >penny
    >
    >www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/forkseep.jpg

    Get a rigid.

    :-]

  11. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 27 Jun 2003 17:38:30 GMT, [email protected] (Stephen Baker) wrote:

    >"Get a rigid fork and then you won't have to worry" "You should be SS-ing - get with it"

    Hey! WTF those are my lines!

    :-]

  12. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "Small Black Dog" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:[email protected]...

    > > Well, just to get the "stupid comments" out of the way to make room for
    > the
    > > good stuff:
    > >
    > > "Get a rigid fork and then you won't have to worry" "You should be SS-ing - get with it" "Duct
    > > Tape........."
    >
    > You forgot ...
    >
    > "Zip ties"
    >
    > Small Black Dog

    Lets not also forget "Just keep adding oil and it will go another 50 thousand"

    At least it worked on a couple of cars :)

    -Dave

  13. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Dave Stocker wrote:
    > "Small Black Dog" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>>Well, just to get the "stupid comments" out of the way to make room for
    >>
    >>the
    >>
    >>>good stuff:
    >>>
    >>>"Get a rigid fork and then you won't have to worry" "You should be SS-ing - get with it" "Duct
    >>>Tape........."
    >>
    >>You forgot ...
    >>
    >>"Zip ties"
    >>
    >>Small Black Dog
    >>

    > Lets not also forget "Just keep adding oil and it will go another 50 thousand"
    >
    > At least it worked on a couple of cars :)

    Unfortunately, if it's like mine that I just replace the seals on, at some point, the leak will get
    bad enough for the fluid to start getting on the disc rotors and really ruin your day when you lose
    your front brake screaming down that hill (the screaming becomes yours, not those jumping out of
    your way :)).

    David

  14. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Revisited.

    After all these posts, it's only by email that i was told it's a blown seal, I can ride it for a
    bit. (thanks you know who you are) And special thanks to the parts fairy.(you know who you are, too)

    What causes a blown seal? Normal wear and tear? A function of being a Roc Sucks shock? Not
    maintaining it? Old age and use?

    www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/forkseep.jpg

    penny

  15. Bran

    Bran Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:31:00 UTC

    -> .. I'd like second, third and fourth -> opinions, a couple of flames and a few stupid comments
    please -> ->

    hrmm I am qualified to offer stupid comments.

    see you should have gone rigid and you would not have had this problem.

    --
    I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
    [email protected]

  16. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > After all these posts, it's only by email that i was told it's a blown seal, I can ride it for
    > a bit. (thanks you know who you are) And special thanks to the parts fairy.(you know who you
    > are, too)
    >
    > What causes a blown seal? Normal wear and tear? A function of being a Roc Sucks shock? Not
    > maintaining it? Old age and use?

    My Marzocchi Flylight air 2.5 leaked from day 1. "Normal seepage" said the dealer. After $30
    for a seal kit (yes; I should have pressed the warranty) and about 1 hour of fiddling, no leaks
    at all now.

    Go ahead and replace the seals yourself. It's a fun and fairly easy job (make sure you seat them
    properly).

    Several things can cause 'blown seals' regardless of brand: dirt, age, breakdown due to chemical
    reaction, dirt and age.

    BTW, I have a SID with no leakage whatsoever; there has to be close to 4k miles on the thing.

  17. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    John Harlow thoughtfully penned:
    >> After all these posts, it's only by email that i was told it's a blown seal, I can ride it for
    >> a bit. (thanks you know who you are) And special thanks to the parts fairy.(you know who you
    >> are, too)
    >>
    >> What causes a blown seal? Normal wear and tear? A function of being a Roc Sucks shock? Not
    >> maintaining it? Old age and use?
    >
    > My Marzocchi Flylight air 2.5 leaked from day 1. "Normal seepage" said the dealer. After $30 for
    > a seal kit (yes; I should have pressed the warranty) and about 1 hour of fiddling, no leaks at
    > all now.

    I think it's a 2001. Off the top of your head do you know what the warranty deal is.. I can always
    look it up but haven't gotten around to it.

    penny

  18. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > > After all these posts, it's only by email that i was told it's a blown seal, I can ride it for
    > > a bit. (thanks you know who you are) And special thanks to the parts fairy.(you know who you
    > > are, too)
    > >
    > > What causes a blown seal? Normal wear and tear? A function of being a
    Roc
    > > Sucks shock? Not maintaining it? Old age and use?
    >
    > My Marzocchi Flylight air 2.5 leaked from day 1. "Normal seepage" said
    the
    > dealer. After $30 for a seal kit (yes; I should have pressed the warranty) and
    about
    > 1 hour of fiddling, no leaks at all now.
    >
    > Go ahead and replace the seals yourself. It's a fun and fairly easy job (make sure you seat them
    > properly).
    >
    > Several things can cause 'blown seals' regardless of brand: dirt, age, breakdown due to chemical
    > reaction, dirt and age.

    Penguin takes his bike to the LBS. The suspension fork isn't working very well. Can you fix it?" The
    mechanic tells Penguin he'll examine the bike and see what he can do. Just give him an hour. The
    penguin has some time to kill so he walks to the Mall, does a bit of window shopping, and since it's
    a nice hot day, has a frozen yoghurt. He leaves the mall and has a nice rest in the shade of a tree
    in a little park next to the Mall. The hour passes quickly and he goes back to the LBS. The mechanic
    sees him come in the door, looks at him and says "You've blown a seal." "No I haven't," says Penguin
    guiltily wiping his chin, "That's just yoghurt".

    You can add that to the list of stupid comments. :)
    --
    Westie

  19. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > I think it's a 2001. Off the top of your head do you know what the
    warranty
    > deal is.. I can always look it up but haven't gotten around to it.

    I think it's 2 years - however: "This warranty does not include or cover common 'wear and tear'
    parts which are subject to damage as a result of normal use, failure to service product according to
    RockShox recommendations, wet conditions, racing, use of disk brakes, rider weight, riding or
    installation in conditions or applications other than recommended. 'Wear and Tear' parts are as
    identified as: External dust seals, bushings, foam rings, rubber moving parts (such as air sealing
    O-rings and glide rings), stripped threaded shafts or bolts, upper tubes (stanchions), rear shock
    mounting hardware and springs, and fork drop outs."

    So - looks like a seal kit is in order.

  20. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]...
    > > > After all these posts, it's only by email that i was told it's a
    blown
    > > > seal, I can ride it for a bit. (thanks you know who you are) And
    special
    > > > thanks to the parts fairy.(you know who you are, too)
    > > >
    > > > What causes a blown seal? Normal wear and tear? A function of being a
    > Roc
    > > > Sucks shock? Not maintaining it? Old age and use?
    > >
    > > My Marzocchi Flylight air 2.5 leaked from day 1. "Normal seepage" said
    > the
    > > dealer. After $30 for a seal kit (yes; I should have pressed the warranty) and
    > about
    > > 1 hour of fiddling, no leaks at all now.
    > >
    > > Go ahead and replace the seals yourself. It's a fun and fairly easy job (make sure you seat them
    > > properly).
    > >
    > > Several things can cause 'blown seals' regardless of brand: dirt, age, breakdown due to chemical
    > > reaction, dirt and age.
    >
    > Penguin takes his bike to the LBS. The suspension fork isn't working very well. Can you fix it?"
    > The mechanic tells Penguin he'll examine the bike and see what he can do. Just give him an hour.
    > The penguin has some time to kill so he walks to the Mall, does a bit of window shopping, and
    > since it's a nice hot day, has a frozen yoghurt. He leaves the mall and has a nice rest in the
    > shade of a tree in a little
    park
    > next to the Mall. The hour passes quickly and he goes back to the LBS. The mechanic sees
    him
    > come in the door, looks at him and says "You've blown a seal." "No I haven't," says Penguin
    > guiltily wiping his chin, "That's just yoghurt".
    >
    > You can add that to the list of stupid comments. :)
    > --
    > Westie

    When the mechanic said she blew a seal, the lady replied "Leave my personal life out of it and just
    fix the damn thing".