How best to clip in the shoe at up slope.

novetan

Sep 1, 2012
I’m new to cleat and fell twice. I supposed every fall is a learning cycle and know why you fall. I take it positively but doesn’t like the scratch on my new carbon bike.

My question is: If you are riding on a long upslope (say 15% or 20%) and inadvertently you have to stop midway and restart. I find its quite impossible to clip the other leg in time to power up with both leg. Worse still if a high gear is engaged when you stopped. To spin with the other leg may not have enough strength to gain momentum due to high slope. So how best to engage the cleat to the other leg in such situation.

I know some expert may take a split sec to clip it. But as social rider, I may take between 2 to 3 sec to “find” the slot for the other leg. And not able to clip it will see myself come to an abrupt stop again.

Those are some extremely steep slopes. For the most part, no one I ride with would stop until reaching the top or a flatter section.

If I got stuck, I would either go sideways a bit to build momentum or pick the seat up and downshift in place to find a better gear. For most pedal systems, you can also pedal without clipping in for a few revolutions.

Turn and head downhill. Ride the brakes and clip in while coasting slowly. Shift to a lower gear if you need to and turn back up the hill.

There are lots of steep walls around here that require that technique if stopped for some reason mid-hill. Re-climbing a few yards of a steep hill clipped in beats trying to strain up that hill with one foot not clipped in every time IMO.

Originally Posted by maydog .

Those are some extremely steep slopes. For the most part, no one I ride with would stop until reaching the top or a flatter section.
This is the key. Don't stop, even if you are blowing up./img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

I once spent over 5 minutes at 95%+ of my MaxHR to avoid your scenario as I ran out of gears. I'd never ridden as hard before, and don't think I ever will again. It was as close to death as I've ever been. Of course I coulda stopped, but what woulda been the fun in that.

PS. we've all fallen because of our cleats and/or toe straps, but new bike scratches suck.

Originally Posted by danfoz .

This is the key. Don't stop, even if you are blowing up./img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif
He's right.

But if you do fall over, do it on the left side. Less damage to the derailleur.

oldbobcat said:
But if you do fall over, do it on the left side. Less damage to the derailleur.
Or stick a knee out. It's better to sacrifice flesh than a derailleur and hanger.