Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

How big is a one inch headset?

Started by Marty · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,068 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
9 October 2003
Last activity
10 October 2003
Original author
Marty
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,068
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I bought myself a nice new carbon fork and I thought getting a one inch headset would be easy, but
    when I went to the local bike shop they don't seem to have that "old" size anymore. And the ones
    they do have are either too tight or too loose. How big in millimetres is a one inch head stem?

    Why the hell are there so many variations on one inch?

    When I was a boy one inch was 25.4 mm. What size is it now?

    Marty

  2. Marty said:

    I bought myself a nice new carbon fork and I thought getting a one inch headset would be easy, but
    when I went to the local bike shop they don't seem to have that "old" size anymore. And the ones
    they do have are either too tight or too loose. How big in millimetres is a one inch head stem?

    Why the hell are there so many variations on one inch?

    When I was a boy one inch was 25.4 mm. What size is it now?

    The Headset entry of my Bicycle Glossary includes a detailed table with the various headset
    sizes, see:

    sheldonbrown.comgloss h.html

    Sheldon "Numbers" Brown +---------------------------------------------+
    | The nice thing about standards is that | there are so many of them to choose from. | --Andrew S.
    | Tanenbaum |
    +---------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
    617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 harriscyclery.comharriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    captainbike.comcaptainbike.com sheldonbrown.comsheldonbrown.com

  3. Sheldon Brown wrote:

    ---8< ----- snipping

    Quoted message said:


    The Headset entry of my Bicycle Glossary includes a detailed table with the various headset
    sizes, see:

    sheldonbrown.comgloss h.html

    Sheldon "Numbers" Brown +---------------------------------------------+
    | The nice thing about standards is that | there are so many of them to choose from. | --Andrew
    | S. Tanenbaum |
    +---------------------------------------------+

    Pls excuse my excursion OT, but can't resist commenting your mail footer.
    Dr. Tanenbaum wrote the textbook used in a Comp Sci course I took in Australia back in 1977. But
    that was back in the days when there didn't seem to be any standards at all, for *anything*.
    Anyhow . . . cool to be reminded of some highlights from my dinosaur-age education ;-) /Robert

  4. I used that book too - in 1996. Computer Networks, third edition, and I remember that quote. Funny I
    work for Cisco Systems now - who'd a thunk it?

    Kyle

    Quoted message said:

    Sheldon Brown wrote:

    ---8< ----- snipping

    Quoted message said:


    The Headset entry of my Bicycle Glossary includes a detailed table with the various headset
    sizes, see:

    sheldonbrown.comgloss h.html

    Sheldon "Numbers" Brown +---------------------------------------------+
    | The nice thing about standards is that | there are so many of them to choose from. | --Andrew
    | S. Tanenbaum |
    +---------------------------------------------+

    Pls excuse my excursion OT, but can't resist commenting your mail footer.
    Dr. Tanenbaum wrote the textbook used in a Comp Sci course I took in Australia back in 1977. But
    that was back in the days when there didn't seem to be any standards at all, for *anything*.
    Anyhow . . . cool to be reminded of some highlights from my dinosaur-age education ;-) /Robert

  5. Sheldon Brown <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Marty said:

    I bought myself a nice new carbon fork and I thought getting a one inch headset would be easy,
    but when I went to the local bike shop they don't seem to have that "old" size anymore. And
    the ones they do have are either too tight or too loose. How big in millimetres is a one inch
    head stem?

    Why the hell are there so many variations on one inch?

    When I was a boy one inch was 25.4 mm. What size is it now?

    The Headset entry of my Bicycle Glossary includes a detailed table with the various headset
    sizes, see:

    sheldonbrown.comgloss h.html

    Sheldon "Numbers" Brown

    When I tried out some threadless headsets, some appeared to be a press fit and others were loose,
    about 0.4 mm oversize. Both are being sold as one inch. Why is there a difference and which one is
    the real "one inch". (I found my vernier calipers and my stem is 26.4 mm or 1.04 inches)

    Regards

    Marty (Non-standard) Wallace

    Quoted message said:

    +---------------------------------------------+
    | The nice thing about standards is that | there are so many of them to choose from. | --Andrew
    | S. Tanenbaum |
    +---------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
    617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 harriscyclery.comharriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    captainbike.comcaptainbike.com sheldonbrown.comsheldonbrown.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.