how can i find out to tune my bike by myself?

nate2002

Sep 15, 2003
hi! i was wondering if anyone had any helpful info on how i can learn how to tune my own mountian bike myself?

Right. Fixing your bike yourself is a great way to save some bux.
First of all, you need the right tools. Second of all, you need some knowledge.

1. Get a book that describes everything you may do with a bike.

2. By tools as necessary to repair problems.

P.S. What exactly needs fixing? Specific questions get better responses sometimes.

Many, many LBS host "fix-it" lessons from time to time. If you live near or in a college town they often have workshops or courses that address just what you are looking for. Park tools have great resources on their website as well. The Zen of bike maintenance is a great book for any garage mechanic to have on the workbench as well. Check with the community college or university student center (even if you are not a student you can often get into these sorts of workshops) in your area (if there is one) or ask around at bike shops. If it is a decent shop they will be glad to give you a heads up about any courses or classes. Have fun and get the Zen book, it's great.

K.

Originally posted by nate2002
hi! i was wondering if anyone had any helpful info on how i can learn how to tune my own mountian bike myself?

I bought a book on maintenance and have Sheldon Brown, Park Took, and Barnett's manual bookmarked.

Whatever I am going to do, I first read that section of the book, check the web, print out the steps, then lay out all the tools I will need and the instructions.

Follow the steps and you should be all right. I have found that when attempting something new, it takes three or four tries to get it right.

The first time I replaced a spoke, it took me nearly 2 1/2 hours. The 11th time it was 30 minutes, including truing the wheel.

Excellent advice Babbar. The first wheel I built nearly put me in the nut house! Not that the nut house sounds bad some days, but wow, what a chore the first few times! Ride on.

K.

Originally posted by ireman_1
Excellent advice Babbar. The first wheel I built nearly put me in the nut house! Not that the nut house sounds bad some days, but wow, what a chore the first few times! Ride on.

K.

A simple good search for what you need to tuneup should get the job done.

If not, check out the drivetrain maintenance FAQ at mtbr.com...it's somewhere in the tech talk forums I believe.

D

Only thing you need is "Haynes Bicycle Book",i got mine for only $ 14.00 Cnd,they are worth every cent !

Originally posted by Banatean
Only thing you need is "Haynes Bicycle Book",i got mine for only $ 14.00 Cnd,they are worth every cent !

Yeah those books are good too but you can find information that is good enough most of the time with a little research on the net (park tool website is good too!)

D