How Can I Put Smart Luggage With Wheels Onto Bicycle Rack?

ship69

Sep 24, 2015
Hello

Background:
I need to buy some sort of smart over night luggage (for a 2 night stay) onto a bicycle... that I can then take onto public transport (train, bus, tube etc). I am going to smart business meetings so whatever form of luggage I get, it must be fairly smart as well as being pretty much waterproof in case it rains. I have a robust rack on my bicycle that can handle panniers.

Which should I buy:

A) A rucksac ?
(Not so smart, and less good for heavy weights within urban environment. Also tends to crush smart cloths. Also may not fit into aeroplane cabins should I use it for that... Also tends to be difficult to store in over-head luggage racks. Also the rucksac straps tend to rather destroy the shape of any smart jacket I'm wearing at the time.)

B) A small 'cabin' bag with handle & wheels?
But if so, how can I attach such a thing onto the bike's panniers?

Any advise?

J

Duplicate. Please delete.

Btw, I got this error:
> Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 88 bytes) in
> /home/cycling/public_html/ips_kernel/classDbMysqliClient.php on line 471

And that it had assumed it had failed to post.

I don't really understand what you mean by "smart luggage". Can you give some precise definitions please?

Thanks a ton

Bob Cochran

BobCochran said:
I don't really understand what you mean by "smart luggage". Can you give some precise definitions please?

Thanks a ton

Bob Cochran
Apologies for not being clearer

By "smart" I mean that literally. I guess I am looking for something that would not be embarrassing to turn up to a business meeting with. It does not need to be leather or any luxury material, but say black and boxy would be good. I work in the online world so the "business" look wouldn't be overly formal. No ties generally for example. Ultimately I dont hugely mind what I look like, but it would be an advantage to look good/cool/happening/where it's at, rather than have people feeling sorry for me!

A rucksack has lots of disadvantages (as I note in my question). And in many ways something with it's own wheels about "airline cabin sized" that fitted nicely and easily onto to back of my bike would be good.

I do have a cabin-sized piece of luggage, which is quite smart however it's not remotely waterproof and more importantly I can't work out a good way to get it on & off my bike's rack...

Surely someone out there has solved the problem for smart(-ish) business users needing to carry an over-night/weekend bag ??

J

Well, perhaps you would like Ortlieb pannier bags. I've seen several different models and they look very nice and trendy and are waterproof. Some models are boxy. Most look like very attractive sacks. I believe some models are about right for aircraft interiors. Why not look on the Ortlieb website to see if they could meet your requirements? The bags are expensive but really rather nice. In fact, Ortlieb is what I'm going to replace my current bags with. At least two of my more with-it bicycling friends use them. One works in an office environment and brings one bag inside with him and leaves the second on the bike. The other person just bikes around with his -- he probably does bring his bags into his office, but I don't know for sure.

It can't hurt you to check the Ortlieb website. http://ortliebusa.com/

This is the USA website. I'm sure Ortlieb sells in other countries too.

Bob