Cycling Training · Public discussion

How can I raise my VO2 Max.

Started by ffvelazquezh · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,608 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
28 January 2005
Last activity
28 January 2005
Original author
ffvelazquezh
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,608
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am a male (50 Y), in a good/regular shape with 3 years of training. I am well interested in to raise my VO2 max. I perform very well at the flats with an average speed of 18-20 mph, but I am beaten for the hills longer than 2-3 miles. It is not question of muscular force, because my legs are working well but I barely can breathe :eek: when I get the the second mile. I am checking If I can introduce some cross-training in my preparation. Mainly I am interested in swimming or running, but I have some doubts:

    Which is the best option to raise the Vo2, swimming or running??

    Considering the next training schedule, Can I introduce some swimming at least two or three times/week??

    Sunday: Longer ride (100-120 kms)
    Monday : day-off

    Tuesday: MORNING: Intervals 30 kms
    AFTERNOON : swimming 30 mins.

    Wednesday: Spinning 50 kms

    Thursday : MORNING: Easy recovery 30 kms
    AFTERNOON: swimming 30 mins

    Friday : TT 50 kms
    Saturday: Easy recovering 20 kms

    I am worried about the glycogen depletion. Will I have the enough time to replenish my glycogen stores for the following training session??

    All the advices will be greatly appreciated

  2. ffvelazquezh said:

    I am a male (50 Y), in a good/regular shape with 3 years of training. I am well interested in to raise my VO2 max. I perform very well at the flats with an average speed of 18-20 mph, but I am beaten for the hills longer than 2-3 miles. It is not question of muscular force, because my legs are working well but I barely can breathe :eek: when I get the the second mile. I am checking If I can introduce some cross-training in my preparation. Mainly I am interested in swimming or running, but I have some doubts:

    Which is the best option to raise the Vo2, swimming or running??

    Considering the next training schedule, Can I introduce some swimming at least two or three times/week??

    Sunday: Longer ride (100-120 kms)
    Monday : day-off

    Tuesday: MORNING: Intervals 30 kms
    AFTERNOON : swimming 30 mins.

    Wednesday: Spinning 50 kms

    Thursday : MORNING: Easy recovery 30 kms
    AFTERNOON: swimming 30 mins

    Friday : TT 50 kms
    Saturday: Easy recovering 20 kms

    I am worried about the glycogen depletion. Will I have the enough time to replenish my glycogen stores for the following training session??

    All the advices will be greatly appreciated

    If you want to increase your VO2max, so that you can ride your bike at a greater power output, then you want to train on your bike. while it is possible that cross training maybe detrimental to your cycling performance - you may want to continue with such exercises (e.g., you go swimming with your family). To increase your VO2max and more specifically your MAP, you need to exercise at a variety of intensities, from zone 3 to zone 6. However efforts that are very close to VO2max/MAP will elicit the best increases in power and these should be done on the bike (which i am assuming is your main exercise modality).

    Ric

  3. ric_stern/RST said:

    If you want to increase your VO2max, so that you can ride your bike at a greater power output, then you want to train on your bike. while it is possible that cross training maybe detrimental to your cycling performance - you may want to continue with such exercises (e.g., you go swimming with your family). To increase your VO2max and more specifically your MAP, you need to exercise at a variety of intensities, from zone 3 to zone 6. However efforts that are very close to VO2max/MAP will elicit the best increases in power and these should be done on the bike (which i am assuming is your main exercise modality).

    Ric

    !! Thanks Ric !!

    I will try your suggestion and later I will let you know the results.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.