How can I raise my VO2 Max.

ffvelazquezh

Aug 12, 2003
I am a male (50 Y), in a good/regular shape with 3 years of training. I am well interested in to raise my VO2 max. I perform very well at the flats with an average speed of 18-20 mph, but I am beaten for the hills longer than 2-3 miles. It is not question of muscular force, because my legs are working well but I barely can breathe :eek: when I get the the second mile. I am checking If I can introduce some cross-training in my preparation. Mainly I am interested in swimming or running, but I have some doubts:

Which is the best option to raise the Vo2, swimming or running??

Considering the next training schedule, Can I introduce some swimming at least two or three times/week??

Sunday: Longer ride (100-120 kms)
Monday : day-off

Tuesday: MORNING: Intervals 30 kms
AFTERNOON : swimming 30 mins.

Wednesday: Spinning 50 kms

Thursday : MORNING: Easy recovery 30 kms
AFTERNOON: swimming 30 mins

Friday : TT 50 kms
Saturday: Easy recovering 20 kms

I am worried about the glycogen depletion. Will I have the enough time to replenish my glycogen stores for the following training session??

All the advices will be greatly appreciated

ffvelazquezh said:
I am a male (50 Y), in a good/regular shape with 3 years of training. I am well interested in to raise my VO2 max. I perform very well at the flats with an average speed of 18-20 mph, but I am beaten for the hills longer than 2-3 miles. It is not question of muscular force, because my legs are working well but I barely can breathe :eek: when I get the the second mile. I am checking If I can introduce some cross-training in my preparation. Mainly I am interested in swimming or running, but I have some doubts:

Which is the best option to raise the Vo2, swimming or running??

Considering the next training schedule, Can I introduce some swimming at least two or three times/week??

Sunday: Longer ride (100-120 kms)
Monday : day-off

Tuesday: MORNING: Intervals 30 kms
AFTERNOON : swimming 30 mins.

Wednesday: Spinning 50 kms

Thursday : MORNING: Easy recovery 30 kms
AFTERNOON: swimming 30 mins

Friday : TT 50 kms
Saturday: Easy recovering 20 kms

I am worried about the glycogen depletion. Will I have the enough time to replenish my glycogen stores for the following training session??

All the advices will be greatly appreciated

If you want to increase your VO2max, so that you can ride your bike at a greater power output, then you want to train on your bike. while it is possible that cross training maybe detrimental to your cycling performance - you may want to continue with such exercises (e.g., you go swimming with your family). To increase your VO2max and more specifically your MAP, you need to exercise at a variety of intensities, from zone 3 to zone 6. However efforts that are very close to VO2max/MAP will elicit the best increases in power and these should be done on the bike (which i am assuming is your main exercise modality).

Ric

ric_stern/RST said:
If you want to increase your VO2max, so that you can ride your bike at a greater power output, then you want to train on your bike. while it is possible that cross training maybe detrimental to your cycling performance - you may want to continue with such exercises (e.g., you go swimming with your family). To increase your VO2max and more specifically your MAP, you need to exercise at a variety of intensities, from zone 3 to zone 6. However efforts that are very close to VO2max/MAP will elicit the best increases in power and these should be done on the bike (which i am assuming is your main exercise modality).

Ric

!! Thanks Ric !!

I will try your suggestion and later I will let you know the results.