How can I raise my VO2 Max.

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by ffvelazquezh, Jan 28, 2005.

1. ffvelazquezh

ffvelazquezh New Member

I am a male (50 Y), in a good/regular shape with 3 years of training. I am well interested in to raise my VO2 max. I perform very well at the flats with an average speed of 18-20 mph, but I am beaten for the hills longer than 2-3 miles. It is not question of muscular force, because my legs are working well but I barely can breathe :eek: when I get the the second mile. I am checking If I can introduce some cross-training in my preparation. Mainly I am interested in swimming or running, but I have some doubts:

Which is the best option to raise the Vo2, swimming or running??

Considering the next training schedule, Can I introduce some swimming at least two or three times/week??

Sunday: Longer ride (100-120 kms)
    Monday : day-off

Tuesday: MORNING: Intervals 30 kms
    AFTERNOON : swimming 30 mins.

Wednesday: Spinning 50 kms

Thursday : MORNING: Easy recovery 30 kms
    AFTERNOON: swimming 30 mins

Friday : TT 50 kms
    Saturday: Easy recovering 20 kms

I am worried about the glycogen depletion. Will I have the enough time to replenish my glycogen stores for the following training session??

All the advices will be greatly appreciated

Tags:

2. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

If you want to increase your VO2max, so that you can ride your bike at a greater power output, then you want to train on your bike. while it is possible that cross training maybe detrimental to your cycling performance - you may want to continue with such exercises (e.g., you go swimming with your family). To increase your VO2max and more specifically your MAP, you need to exercise at a variety of intensities, from zone 3 to zone 6. However efforts that are very close to VO2max/MAP will elicit the best increases in power and these should be done on the bike (which i am assuming is your main exercise modality).

Ric

3. ffvelazquezh

ffvelazquezh New Member

!! Thanks Ric !!

I will try your suggestion and later I will let you know the results.