How can I remove a stuck front brake bolt?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Frank121, Apr 14, 2003.

  1. Frank121

    Frank121 Guest

    I have a used frame and fork, and the front brake bolt that goes through the back of the fork and
    screws on the front brake post will not come out. It is off the brake post easily enough, but I
    can't get it out of the fork.

    The bolt is too long for the brakeset and I have tried pulling it out the back to no avail. Of
    course, it is too big to go out the front hole.

    It appears as if maybe the long bolt has been mushroomed at the end closest to the brake and that is
    why it won't pull out the back side?

    Any suggestions? I have pulled it pretty hard trying to pull it through the back but didn't want to
    try pulling harder if there was a better way.

    Thanks,

    Frank

    Tags:

  2. Frank121

    Frank121 Guest

    This crisis is over and all is well with the world! I went back to the garage and got out the
    cyclist's second-best friend (not sure what is first), my trusty Dremel tool.

    I wrapped some thin bubble wrap on the fork legs and head tube to protect them, then with some
    Visegrips pulled the bolt as far to the rear as it could go like I was trying to pull it out the
    back side of the fork.

    I then used the Dremel cutting wheel to cut the bolt off as close to the fork as I felt I safely
    could. I then pushed the bolt forward and it fell through the opening under the fork crown and is
    now out of the fork.

    Proper length front brake bolt is next and I am through with this issue.

    Frank

    "frank121" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a used frame and fork, and the front brake bolt that goes through
    the
    > back of the fork and screws on the front brake post will not come out. It
    is
    > off the brake post easily enough, but I can't get it out of the fork.
    >
    > The bolt is too long for the brakeset and I have tried pulling it out the back to no avail. Of
    > course, it is too big to go out the front hole.
    >
    > It appears as if maybe the long bolt has been mushroomed at the end
    closest
    > to the brake and that is why it won't pull out the back side?
    >
    > Any suggestions? I have pulled it pretty hard trying to pull it through
    the
    > back but didn't want to try pulling harder if there was a better way.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Frank

  3. How about tapping the bolt gently with a punch? GJ

    "frank121" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a used frame and fork, and the front brake bolt that goes through
    the
    > back of the fork and screws on the front brake post will not come out. It
    is
    > off the brake post easily enough, but I can't get it out of the fork.
    >
    > The bolt is too long for the brakeset and I have tried pulling it out the back to no avail. Of
    > course, it is too big to go out the front hole.
    >
    > It appears as if maybe the long bolt has been mushroomed at the end
    closest
    > to the brake and that is why it won't pull out the back side?
    >
    > Any suggestions? I have pulled it pretty hard trying to pull it through
    the
    > back but didn't want to try pulling harder if there was a better way.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Frank

  4. Frank121

    Frank121 Guest

    I tried that but didn't want to take a chance on damaging the fork by jamming the bolt out
    the backside.

    Once I got the bolt out by the Dremel tool method, looks like the end of the bolt that was stuck
    inside the fork crown was indeed mushroomed somehow...maybe by being too long and being tightened
    too tightly against the brake post or something? Anyway, it is out.

    "Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > How about tapping the bolt gently with a punch? GJ
    >
    > "frank121" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I have a used frame and fork, and the front brake bolt that goes through
    > the
    > > back of the fork and screws on the front brake post will not come out.
    It
    > is
    > > off the brake post easily enough, but I can't get it out of the fork.
    > >
    > > The bolt is too long for the brakeset and I have tried pulling it out
    the
    > > back to no avail. Of course, it is too big to go out the front hole.
    > >
    > > It appears as if maybe the long bolt has been mushroomed at the end
    > closest
    > > to the brake and that is why it won't pull out the back side?
    > >
    > > Any suggestions? I have pulled it pretty hard trying to pull it through
    > the
    > > back but didn't want to try pulling harder if there was a better way.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Frank

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "frank121" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > This crisis is over and all is well with the world! I went back to the garage and got out the
    > cyclist's second-best friend (not sure what is first), my trusty Dremel tool.

    Duck tape and zip ties of course! ;^)

    Mike

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "frank121" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a used frame and fork, and the front brake bolt that goes through
    the
    > back of the fork and screws on the front brake post will not come out. It
    is
    > off the brake post easily enough, but I can't get it out of the fork.
    >
    > The bolt is too long for the brakeset and I have tried pulling it out the back to no avail. Of
    > course, it is too big to go out the front hole.
    >
    > It appears as if maybe the long bolt has been mushroomed at the end
    closest
    > to the brake and that is why it won't pull out the back side?
    >
    > Any suggestions? I have pulled it pretty hard trying to pull it through
    the
    > back but didn't want to try pulling harder if there was a better way.

    It's unlikely to have "mushroomed" but it may well be rusty. Screw a 50mm long 6mm bolt ( reflector
    mount) into the brake nut and tap it back through the crown with a hammer.