How can I shade my map?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Rooney, Feb 6, 2005.

  1. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    I have a map (jpg) with the Wainwrights marked, and I want to shade the
    areas I've covered, leaving the details legible. How can I do it? It's
    very large, btw.

    --
    Paul Rooney

    Tags:

  2. Rooney <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    40tude.net:

    > I have a map (jpg) with the Wainwrights marked, and I want to shade the
    > areas I've covered, leaving the details legible. How can I do it? It's
    > very large, btw.

    With one of those drawing programs which use layers, like Coral?

    --
    Adrian

  3. Jeff C

    Jeff C Guest

    On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 17:46:47 +0000, Rooney wrote:
    > I have a map (jpg) with the Wainwrights marked, and I want to shade
    > the areas I've covered, leaving the details legible. How can I do
    > it? It's very large, btw.

    Assuming you are viewing the map an a PC, then use a program like
    Adobe Photo Shop or Corel Draw, Re-name your file and save it. Add a
    new layer then draw around the areas concerned with the "lasso" tool
    then select the paint fill option, reduce the opacity to around 10%
    select the colour you want and the click inside the area you lassoed.

    You may need to go to the layers option after to "flatten the image"
    in order to save it as a jpg again, otherwise it saves it with a
    program specific file extension that not be viewable with basic
    viewers ( MS Paint and MS Photo Editor).

  4. Geoff Berrow

    Geoff Berrow Guest

    I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]> from
    Adrian Tupper contained the following:

    >> I have a map (jpg) with the Wainwrights marked, and I want to shade the
    >> areas I've covered, leaving the details legible. How can I do it? It's
    >> very large, btw.
    >>

    >With one of those drawing programs which use layers, like Coral?

    Layers definitely, but Corel is better known as a vector program.

    Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop would do it because you can alter the
    transparency of the layer.

    --
    Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.

  5. Jeff C

    Jeff C Guest

    On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 19:31:31 +0000, Geoff Berrow wrote:
    > I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]> from
    > Adrian Tupper contained the following:
    >
    >>> I have a map (jpg) with the Wainwrights marked, and I want to
    >>> shade the areas I've covered, leaving the details legible. How
    >>> can I do it? It's very large, btw.
    >>>

    >> With one of those drawing programs which use layers, like Coral?
    >>

    > Layers definitely, but Corel is better known as a vector program.

    Later versions ( like CorelDraw 8) come with a photo program which
    looks and works almost the same as Adobe.

    > Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop would do it because you can alter the
    > transparency of the layer.

    Regards Jeff.

    www.astrecks.co.uk

    If it works..............DON'T fix it
    No Virus Checker? try this free one from AVG it is very good:-
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
    For a new experience in e-mail clients try:- http://www.pocomail.com/
    Kill SPAM forever! Protect your family with Spamjab from:-
    http://www.spamjab.com/

  6. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 19:31:20 GMT, Jeff C wrote:

    > On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 17:46:47 +0000, Rooney wrote:
    >> I have a map (jpg) with the Wainwrights marked, and I want to shade
    >> the areas I've covered, leaving the details legible. How can I do
    >> it? It's very large, btw.

    > Assuming you are viewing the map an a PC, then use a program like
    > Adobe Photo Shop or Corel Draw, Re-name your file and save it. Add a
    > new layer then draw around the areas concerned with the "lasso" tool
    > then select the paint fill option, reduce the opacity to around 10%
    > select the colour you want and the click inside the area you lassoed.
    >
    > You may need to go to the layers option after to "flatten the image"
    > in order to save it as a jpg again, otherwise it saves it with a
    > program specific file extension that not be viewable with basic
    > viewers ( MS Paint and MS Photo Editor).

    Thanks, all. Photoshop does the job!

    --
    Paul Rooney

  7. Nick

    Nick Guest

    - And on 06 Feb 2005 18:26:41 GMT, it was spake thus in <[email protected]> said in message Adrian Tupper <[email protected]>:

    > Rooney <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    > 40tude.net:
    >
    > > I have a map (jpg) with the Wainwrights marked, and I want to shade the
    > > areas I've covered, leaving the details legible. How can I do it? It's
    > > very large, btw.
    > >

    > With one of those drawing programs which use layers, like Coral?

    Or Paint Shop Pro - version 9's just out so version 8'll be free
    shortly... I know Version 7 was on a cover disk a while ago, can't
    recall which one though...

    GL and enjoy :)
    --
    Nick in Northallerton
    www.whelan.me.uk

  8. "Geoff Berrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]> from
    > Adrian Tupper contained the following:
    >
    > >> I have a map (jpg) with the Wainwrights marked, and I want to shade

    the
    > >> areas I've covered, leaving the details legible. How can I do it?

    It's
    > >> very large, btw.
    > >>

    > >With one of those drawing programs which use layers, like Coral?

    > Layers definitely, but Corel is better known as a vector program.

    I think he means Corel Photo Paint.
    Mine's an old version but Photo Paint came bundled with Corel Draw.
    Regards Mike.

  9. Geoff Berrow

    Geoff Berrow Guest

    I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]> from Mike
    Cawood, HND BIT contained the following:

    >> Layers definitely, but Corel is better known as a vector program.
    >>

    >I think he means Corel Photo Paint.
    >Mine's an old version but Photo Paint came bundled with Corel Draw.

    Well I know it's got better but I tried the version with Corel 11 and
    still preferred PSP. Twould prolly do the job though.
    --
    Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.
    My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
    Simple RFDs http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/

  10. "Mike Cawood, HND BIT" <[email protected]> wrote in news:36njtuF521qk8U1
    @individual.net:

    > "Geoff Berrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]> from
    >> Adrian Tupper contained the following:

    shade
    > the

    > It's
    >> >>

    >> >With one of those drawing programs which use layers, like Coral?

    >> Layers definitely, but Corel is better known as a vector program.
    >>

    > I think he means Corel Photo Paint.
    > Mine's an old version but Photo Paint came bundled with Corel Draw.
    > Regards Mike.

    The trouble was he got the software from....well never mind.

    I did something like this once, overlaying footpaths onto a map which
    didn't show them like they were on the ground.

    --
    Adrian

  11. t

    t Guest

    Rooney wrote:
    > I have a map (jpg) with the Wainwrights marked, and I want to shade the
    > areas I've covered, leaving the details legible. How can I do it? It's
    > very large, btw.

    highlighter pen? I used a pink one to shade night stops on my pyrenees
    maps this summer, you can still read through it

  12. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:01:02 GMT, t <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Rooney wrote:
    >> I have a map (jpg) with the Wainwrights marked, and I want to shade the
    >> areas I've covered, leaving the details legible. How can I do it? It's
    >> very large, btw.
    >>

    >highlighter pen? I used a pink one to shade night stops on my pyrenees
    >maps this summer, you can still read through it

    Ah, but that would make a mess of the computer screen!

  13. theo

    theo Guest

    "Rooney" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]
    > On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:01:02 GMT, t <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Rooney wrote:
    >>> I have a map (jpg) with the Wainwrights marked, and I want to shade the
    >>> areas I've covered, leaving the details legible. How can I do it? It's
    >>> very large, btw.
    >>>

    >>highlighter pen? I used a pink one to shade night stops on my pyrenees
    >>maps this summer, you can still read through it

    > Ah, but that would make a mess of the computer screen!

    Buy more screens !

    --
    Theo
    www.theosphotos.fotopic.net