how can i tell if i can fit another spacer on my headset?

Eric Gleason

Guest
while out riding last week i figured out that my riding would be much more comfortable if my arms
were an inch longer. (flat-bar road bike, btw.) so i'm thinking that maybe i add another spacer or
two, or a spacer and a 1 or 2 cm shorter stem, or....

but anyway, i've never dealt with a threadless headset before. do i just loosen the screw on
top, or what?

thanks!

In article <BADF4015.10F4B%[email protected]>, eric gleason <[email protected]> wrote:

> while out riding last week i figured out that my riding would be much more comfortable if my arms
> were an inch longer. (flat-bar road bike, btw.) so i'm thinking that maybe i add another spacer or
> two, or a spacer and a 1 or 2 cm shorter stem, or....
>
> but anyway, i've never dealt with a threadless headset before. do i just loosen the screw on top,
> or what?

You loosen the top cap, then loosen the stem bolts. However, it's not likely you can _add_ spacers
to your existing setup. The steerer tube is supposed to end about 3mm below the stem collar. You can
_lower_ your stem by taking out spacers stacked below the stem and reinstalling them above it.

It seems your best bet is a different stem. Shorter and/or higher, in your case. Or consider
swept-back handlebars.

Van

--
Van Bagnol / v a n at wco dot com / c r l at bagnol dot com ...enjoys - Theatre / Windsurfing /
Skydiving / Mountain Biking ...feels - "Parang lumalakad ako sa loob ng paniginip" ...thinks - "An