how can i tell if i can fit another spacer on my headset?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Eric Gleason, May 7, 2003.

  1. Eric Gleason

    Eric Gleason Guest

    while out riding last week i figured out that my riding would be much more comfortable if my arms
    were an inch longer. (flat-bar road bike, btw.) so i'm thinking that maybe i add another spacer or
    two, or a spacer and a 1 or 2 cm shorter stem, or....

    but anyway, i've never dealt with a threadless headset before. do i just loosen the screw on
    top, or what?

    thanks!

    Tags:

  2. Van Bagnol

    Van Bagnol Guest

    In article <BADF4015.10F4B%[email protected]>, eric gleason <[email protected]> wrote:

    > while out riding last week i figured out that my riding would be much more comfortable if my arms
    > were an inch longer. (flat-bar road bike, btw.) so i'm thinking that maybe i add another spacer or
    > two, or a spacer and a 1 or 2 cm shorter stem, or....
    >
    > but anyway, i've never dealt with a threadless headset before. do i just loosen the screw on top,
    > or what?

    You loosen the top cap, then loosen the stem bolts. However, it's not likely you can _add_ spacers
    to your existing setup. The steerer tube is supposed to end about 3mm below the stem collar. You can
    _lower_ your stem by taking out spacers stacked below the stem and reinstalling them above it.

    It seems your best bet is a different stem. Shorter and/or higher, in your case. Or consider
    swept-back handlebars.

    Van

    --
    Van Bagnol / v a n at wco dot com / c r l at bagnol dot com ...enjoys - Theatre / Windsurfing /
    Skydiving / Mountain Biking ...feels - "Parang lumalakad ako sa loob ng paniginip" ...thinks - "An