How can i tell the amount of calories i burn while cycling?

I hate to burst your bubble Mr B but there is no way you burned 4898 Calories on that ride. Get a power meter and you'll get the KiloJoules and that directly converts to Calories burned. I would guess you burned less than 2200 calories or thereabouts. I am a little lighter than you and looked up a similar ride that I did with the power meter.
Not bursting my bubble. I was agreeing that the calories burned look way too high. I don't pay much attention to calories burned as mentioned before. I only looked it up for this thread so getting a power meter ain't for me. Strava shows a KJ reading as well but I'd guess that is off too. :p

Reactions: pwarbi
I also have no desire to get a power meter, but do train with power on the Cybex gym trainers at the Y. Today I looked at the Cals/hr display and found that at 100W output (as close as I could hold it), and the Cal/hr display indicated 360-370. That's what I would expect from the basic KJ = KCal equation. Don't know how precisely they are calibrated, but each of the three units they have feel identical and give the same results.

The speed for 100W output shows around 16.7 mph, regardless of the load level "gear" selected or the cadence. Seems about right to me vs actual speed and effort out on the road, but of course the actual value doesn't really matter for training purposes.

Not bursting my bubble. I was agreeing that the calories burned look way too high. I don't pay much attention to calories burned as mentioned before. I only looked it up for this thread so getting a power meter ain't for me. Strava shows a KJ reading as well but I'd guess that is off too. :p

If you only take on 1800 calories a day, I'm hoping that you didn't burn off that amount aswell to be honest! A few more of those and you'd end up with the body shape of a Parisian catwalk model!

If you only take on 1800 calories a day, I'm hoping that you didn't burn off that amount aswell to be honest! A few more of those and you'd end up with the body shape of a Parisian catwalk model!

Ha ha ha! On an average day I take in about 1800 calories, But on rides I eat a Power Bar wafer and a Clif Bar to hold me over. :D

Oh well there we go then, that's a hugely significant calorie boost right there, haha!

When it comes to calorie counting in general though I've never really been a big fan and I've always just eaten healthy and exercised, that's always worked the best for me, so that's probably why I'm not all that concerned about what calories inbburning, and how much further I need to go etc.

All that takes away from the pleasure of riding in the first place for me.

Oh well there we go then, that's a hugely significant calorie boost right there, haha!

When it comes to calorie counting in general though I've never really been a big fan and I've always just eaten healthy and exercised, that's always worked the best for me, so that's probably why I'm not all that concerned about what calories inbburning, and how much further I need to go etc.

All that takes away from the pleasure of riding in the first place for me.

I only know about how many calories I take in after the doc told me I was Type 2 diabetic (routine physical). Doc said either change the diet or go on meds. I hate meds so I changed my diet. I follow sample plans they gave me as meal ideas.

It's based on an 1800 diet while avoiding too much sugar. So my dinner may be 3 oz of salmon, 1 cup of red potatoes, vegetable or a salad no dressing, and a cup of fruit.

Everything carefully measured at first till I got the hang of the serving sizes.

Really worked, dropped 49 pounds in 6 months and all levels are down. From A1C level of 7.5 to 6.2 all from eating healthy No medication.

At first I did try my 40 mile rides with no energy bars but that didn't work too well. So on weekends I do use a Clif or Powerbar on the ride. Adds a few calories to get me through. And by the time I am done with the ride, it's lunch time again. :D

49 pounds in 6 months. :cool:

0throwBT_zpsbktpuhl5.jpg

mr B....you look 20 years younger. way to go!
I only know about how many calories I take in after the doc told me I was Type 2 diabetic (routine physical). Doc said either change the diet or go on meds. I hate meds so I changed my diet. I follow sample plans they gave me as meal ideas.

It's based on an 1800 diet while avoiding too much sugar. So my dinner may be 3 oz of salmon, 1 cup of red potatoes, vegetable or a salad no dressing, and a cup of fruit.

Everything carefully measured at first till I got the hang of the serving sizes.

Really worked, dropped 49 pounds in 6 months and all levels are down. From A1C level of 7.5 to 6.2 all from eating healthy No medication.

At first I did try my 40 mile rides with no energy bars but that didn't work too well. So on weekends I do use a Clif or Powerbar on the ride. Adds a few calories to get me through. And by the time I am done with the ride, it's lunch time again. :D

49 pounds in 6 months. :cool:

0throwBT_zpsbktpuhl5.jpg

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
mr B....you look 20 years younger. way to go!

Thanks! I don't think most people understand how you damage your organs till you see the numbers on paper. I guess I am lucky that I know people who have died and/or doing dialysis as a result of diabetes.

Is dialysis for me? Heeeeeell no! I'd rather change my eating habits than get butchered piece by piece. All my levels are down and I'm healthy again! Plus it makes cycling that much more enjoyable! :cool:

I have a FitBit, and I love it, because it can tell me how many calories I am burning for the whole of the day rather than just for certain activities during the course of the day when I am active. I think it's great to have an awareness of how much you're burning, because then you will be able to see how much you need to eat in order to maintain/lose/gain weight - whatever you are trying to do at the time.

Slightly off topic but I'm sat here watching the world championships and the madison is on. 200 laps and it takes around 2 hours and they've just said the cyclists will be involved in around 20 or more different sprints and they'll burn off nearly 2000 calories in this event alone.

Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Slightly off topic but I'm sat here watching the world championships and the madison is on. 200 laps and it takes around 2 hours and they've just said the cyclists will be involved in around 20 or more different sprints and they'll burn off nearly 2000 calories in this event alone.

Just thought I'd throw that in there.

I watched that Madison final last night as well. My cable channel here in the US only had a condensed version, editing out about 100 laps in the middle of the event. But was amazing to watch Wiggo and Cav on full gas in the final going. Thought Cav was done after the hard fall, but he got right back in. Never thought I liked track cycling much, but these Worlds were exciting. Assuming you're in the UK (from your grammar), you had to like the results.

Anyway, 1000 Cal per hour would imply an average power output of 0.278kw (1/3.6) or 278watts. That would be an average of the on and off relay laps of course. Seems believable to me....at least as a rough estimate.

Like you I'm not usually a fan of the track cycling but the madison is an event I do like to watch, the handspring certainly makes it more interesting, that's for certain.

British cycling as been going through a golden period for the last few years now, and when you look at the younger riders that are coming through, that's only set to continue as there's a lot of talent out there and that bodes well for the future, from a UK perspective at least.

I am in the UK aswell by the way. My grammar probably does still give that away but I do try to tone it down a bit because I know that there's people from all over the world on this forum and I might be a bit hard to understand sometimes!

I cycle around around 10 miles everyday from Monday to Friday. Is there a way I can measure the amount of calories I burn from cycling alone? Any handy gadgets you can recommend?
it's hard to tell how much calories you lose from riding, but I'm sure there is a way to tell how much body fat you lose, plus the type of bike riding makes a difference, if the workout is fast, then more calories will be burned, but since going on a plant based diet, calories is the last thing I worry about.

Like you I'm not usually a fan of the track cycling but the madison is an event I do like to watch, the handspring certainly makes it more interesting, that's for certain.

British cycling as been going through a golden period for the last few years now, and when you look at the younger riders that are coming through, that's only set to continue as there's a lot of talent out there and that bodes well for the future, from a UK perspective at least.

I am in the UK aswell by the way. My grammar probably does still give that away but I do try to tone it down a bit because I know that there's people from all over the world on this forum and I might be a bit hard to understand sometimes!

I'm actually from the US, currently living in the southern state of Alabama. But I spent some time in the UK when a family member lived there. I enjoy hearing the different usage of English grammar and accents.

I'm actually from the US, currently living in the southern state of Alabama. But I spent some time in the UK when a family member lived there. I enjoy hearing the different usage of English grammar and accents.

You might but I know a lot of others don't, or even if they do they're not entirely sure what I'm meaning by some of the terms and expressions I use!

Good info on the power output aswell by the way in your previous post, always like to look at the figures these boys can produce.

I would probably look into a biking app that would calculate your mileage and your altitude of the trip and it would be able to spit an estimated amount of calories burned for the trip. I don't think there is any way to find out how many calories burned super accurately than that unless you wore a vest that would gather every bit of information.

I cycle around around 10 miles everyday from Monday to Friday. Is there a way I can measure the amount of calories I burn from cycling alone? Any handy gadgets you can recommend?

I wouldn't rely on a gadget for that. Only if it has the ability for you to enter weight age and height + accurately calculates the difference in calorie consumption for these factors the biggest of which being weight. Riding computers for regular cycling and especially the ones on stationary bikes are notorious for calculating calories as if everybody is the weight of a child so I'm paranoid. I didn't even realize how bad it was until I started manually entering my exercises at Sparkpeople and saw the difference. I used a few other online calculators to verify and they were similar to the Sparkpeople results.

Its depeds upont your weight and the level of exertion cycling tha

Depending on your weight and exertion level cycling will burn off between 75-670 extra calories* in a half-hour cycle session.

30min Cycling will burn:
  • Recreational, 5mph: 75-155kcal
  • Moderate, 10mph: 190-415kcal
  • Vigorous, 15mph: 300-670kcal
If you are keen to use cycling to burn calories and so lose weight, think about it like this…

A half hour daily cycle trip could burn 11 pounds of extra fat in a year. Because the activity is frequent, the weight is likely to stay off – combine it with a change to a healthier calorie-counted diet and weight loss will be even more effective.

Those training peaks numbers are the total work produced in kilo-Joules. To convert to food calories you need to divide kJ by 4.2. This number is calories of work produced, however the body does not produce this energy with 100% efficiency, it is only 20 to 25% efficient. The work needs to be multiplied by 4 or 5 to calculate the metabolic burn.

I know that I can sustain a 20 metabolic (4 or 5 cals of work) cal/minute pace for an hour at FTP. Thats around 50-60 cals per mile for me.

Last edited:
Those training peaks numbers are the total work produced in kilo-Joules. To convert to food calories you need to divide kJ by 4.2. This number is calories of work produced, however the body does not produce this energy with 100% efficiency, it is only 20 to 25% efficient. The work needs to be multiplied by 4 or 5 to calculate the metabolic burn.

I know that I can sustain a 20 metabolic (4 or 5 cals of work) cal/minute pace for an hour at FTP. Thats around 50-60 cals per mile for me.

4.2 times the typical efficiency of 22-23% gives very close to the total work in Kilo-Joules. The Tour de France power files give a reasonably upper bound for kind of long rides. A one hour TT is a different kind of boundry.

I would not dispute your 50-60 Calories/mile without knowing your FTP and weight but it sounds a bit high.

The typical cyclist rides closer to 15 mph than what sounds like the 25+ mph for your hour FTP effort. Your effort probably requires 4 times the power compared to a 15 mph rider.

What is a more interesting question to me is how many of those calories are from fat vs glycogen as output increases.