how can I turn a road bike into a hybrid?

snotboards

Jul 22, 2006
i was thinking of switching the handlebars on my road bike and putting on regular mtn bike handlebars to make it a hybrid bike (fast but comfortable). but what do i do about the shifters and brakes. any ideas? my bike has shimano tiagra rear derailer. i dont use the front derailer ever, so thats not an issue.

thanks.

snotboards said:
i was thinking of switching the handlebars on my road bike and putting on regular mtn bike handlebars to make it a hybrid bike (fast but comfortable). but what do i do about the shifters and brakes. any ideas? my bike has shimano tiagra rear derailer. i dont use the front derailer ever, so thats not an issue.

thanks.
You will want a set of LX or XT shifters ... at least, a RIGHT HAND shifter (eBay) designed to shift the same number of cogs as your current setup (unless you want to change cassettes).

You want REGULAR (old, pre-V-brake) MTB brake levers ... I presume Tektro still makes & sells them if you can't find a set of Shimano levers.

Of course, you'll want handlebars & stem whose "rise" (or, lack of) suit your sensibilities + a set of "rubber" grips. Possibly, you may need new cables & housing.

That's about all that comes to mind ...

Find someone who wants to put road bars on a flat bar racer and swap parts.

If its just about getting a more upright postion, you could get a shorter head, and raise the handlebars.

is it possible to just put on a flat bar, put back on the brake/shifters in a mtn bike position, then get the bar wrapped back up?

i just bought some of the r440 brakes online, still looking for the r440 shifters at a good price. how do i know what size handlebar to get? does it say on it the size somewhere? its a brand new road bike.

Most Flat Bars are 25.4 at the stem and 22.2 at the ends where the levers go.

If your stem is 26mm, it should have enough tolerance to accept and clamp flat bars. If 31.8mm, change the stem to a 25.4.

Easton make Flat Bars (XC) to match your stem, look for 560mm wide, not 600.

Is your bike an 8 or 9 speed (rear)?

I hope you ordered 8 speed SL-R440A shifters. :D

What size is the clamp on the existing stem? Measure it. :rolleyes:

31.8mm looks fat in the middle
26mm looks normal, just a small thickening in the middle.

See how it goes if its a 26mm.

my current handlebar looks pretty fat in the middle, so i am guessing its 31.8.

i ordered a 9 speed shifter. what difference does that make? it will still shift thru the same 4 gears i only use, right?

snotboards said:
my current handlebar looks pretty fat in the middle, so i am guessing its 31.8.

i ordered a 9 speed shifter. what difference does that make? it will still shift thru the same 4 gears i only use, right?
Ok order a stem, 25.4.

NO!! If the cassette is 8 then the shifter is 8. Wrong shifter !! The spacing between the cogs is different for a 8, 9 or 10 speed.

Re-order a SL-R440A for an 8 speed double.
or SL-R443A for an 8 speed triple.

Did you not read the Shimano link I sent you below?? All the options are there and the service instructions.

I guess if you order a 9 speed Shimano Cassette it will correct the error. :)

noone sells the 8 speed version. so i will get a 9 speed cassette. does it matter which one i get. thanks for the help.

here are the specs for my bike.

Frame sizesC49cm, C52cm, C54cm, C56cm, C58cm, C60cmFrame tubingKona 7005 Butted AluminumForkKona CarbonHeadsetAheadset STS CrankarmsShimano Sora FC-3303 TripleChainrings30/42/52B/BShimano UN-25PedalsWellgo WPD-R3ChainShimano IG-31FreewheelShimano CS-HG50-8 (12-25)F/D Shimano Sora R/DShimano TiagraShiftersShimano Sora HandlebarEaston OS Road barStemEaston OS GripsCU BlackBrakesTektro 423AGBrake LeversShimano SoraFront hubAlex ALX-220 WheelsetRear hubAlex ALX-220 WheelsetSpokesAlex ALX-220 WheelsetTiresContinental Sport 1000RimsAlex ALX-220 WheelsetSaddleWTB Rocket V CompSeatpostEastonSeat clamp Kona ClampColorGrey/Black

here are some options, but what size should i get?

Nashbar 9 Speed Cassette

space.gif

space.gif

space.gif
Nashbar cassette cogs have a computer designed “ramped” tooth profile for exact and precise shifting and are made from durable heat treated steel that are then nickel plated to ensure long wear. All our cassettes are Shimano compatible and work well with all manufacturers chains. Lock ring is included
Item No. » NS-CST9

NS-CST9 12X23 Reg $24.95
now $19.99 NS-CST9 11X34 Reg $24.95
now $19.99 NS-CST9 11X28 Reg $24.95
now $19.99

We have a set (3x8) in stock here in Perth. :)

Your bike is a triple, so,
if where you live is all flat roads,
choose the 11-23 or 12-25
if you live in the hills, 12-28,
go no bigger than 28, the RD limit is really 27.

From your specs, your existing stem is "OS"(31.8), so buy a 25.4.

snotboards said:
my bike has a 12 x 25 ...8 speed...so would the 12 x 23 ...9 speed work?
Are you curently using the 25t cog? If so, get the 11x28.

BUT ... As far as using your 9-speed (!?!) shifters with your 8-speed cassette, you SHOULD BE ABLE to use the ALTERNATE rear derailleur cable anchoring position (at 9 o'clock) to get the derailleur to index properly ... THAT is what the alternate anchor position is for.

If the alternate cable anchoring position doesn't work to re-index your 9-speed STI shifter to accommodate an 8-speed cassette, then it probably means that your derailleur hanger is out of alignment and/or your cable is binding somewhere in a part of the housing.

gclark8 said:
Shimano make a full range of Flat Bar Road Components, including Shifters and Brake Levers, to work with your existing Road derailleurs and calipers. :)
http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/c...products/road_components/flat_handlebar_.html

Don't stuff around with old MTB bits. :rolleyes:
George, I think you've given bad advice here. The OP could have picked up canti levers and 8spd rapidfire for an absolute song - I've got friends who have given that stuff away for free, and e-bay has plenty of it. As it is, you've steered him down the most expensive pathway.

artemidorus said:
George, I think you've given bad advice here. The OP could have picked up canti levers and 8spd rapidfire for an absolute song - I've got friends who have given that stuff away for free, and e-bay has plenty of it. As it is, you've steered him down the most expensive pathway.
I see your point, however I must go the party (Shimano) line. He can still go Rapid Fire (EF-29, 35, 50) and stay with 8 speed and return the Road bits for credit. However I know the right stuff (443) will work better for longer. :)