how can I turn a road bike into a hybrid?

snotboards said:
i was thinking of switching the handlebars on my road bike and putting on regular mtn bike handlebars to make it a hybrid bike (fast but comfortable).
There's a problem with your premise. I just got rid of a hybrid specifically because I found that riding a flat bar on the road is way uncomfortable. You have no choice of hand positions and little of spans.

If you're adamant, you'd probably save $$ by getting a new (used) hybrid or city bike with what you want on it. And then you can go back to your road bike when you discover that I'm right.
:p

DMF said:
There's a problem with your premise. I just got rid of a hybrid specifically because I found that riding a flat bar on the road is way uncomfortable. You have no choice of hand positions and little of spans.

If you're adamant, you'd probably save $$ by getting a new (used) hybrid or city bike with what you want on it. And then you can go back to your road bike when you discover that I'm right.
:p
I agree. If your road bike is uncomfortable, then you need to move your seat and/or your bars, not change your bars.

gclark8 said:
I see your point, however I must go the party (Shimano) line. He can still go Rapid Fire (EF-29, 35, 50) and stay with 8 speed and return the Road bits for credit. However I know the right stuff (443) will work better for longer. :)
George, as a matter of interest, will the 440 FD work with a standard road left shifter? or only the flat bar road shifter? I ask because I am about to take the 440 FD off my partner's bike and am considering using it on my project touring bike with a 105 shifter.

It may but you would need to check the distance from the pivot pin to the cable clamp on both the FD440/443 and your "road" FD. The cage is the same. I only have FD443 Front Derailleurs here at the moment so I can't compare for you.

gclark8 said:
It may but you would need to check the distance from the pivot pin to the cable clamp on both the FD440/443 and your "road" FD. The cage is the same. I only have FD443 Front Derailleurs here at the moment so I can't compare for you.
George, I meant the triple FD.