How can If ind out my target heart rate?

Healthy Stealth

Guest
How can I find out what my target heart rate should be when
I am walking to lose weight? Thanks

Healthy Stealthy ; wrote:

> How can I find out what my target heart rate should be
> when I am walking to lose weight?

Stop walking to lose weight; start walking to enjoy
yourself. :)

--
Jock

[email protected] (Healthy Stealthy ;) wrote:
> How can I find out what my target heart rate should be
> when I am walking to lose weight?

Depends on what you mean.

The short answer is: read almost any fitness book, or google
"target heart rate" with "walking". For example,
http://www.thewalkingsite.com/thr.html.

Not everyone agrees with that breakdown. Generally, the THR
is 60-85% MHR for any aerobic training. But most non-power
walkers struggle to go above 70% for very steep inclination.
(Unless you are terribly out of shape.)

I also disagree with other details on that web site. I
mention it simply because it seems to give an answer you
might be looking for. You can become better informed by
looking at many other web sites that the google search hits.

However, I wonder if you are implicitly also asking: "How do
I determine my MAX heart rate?".

The most common "accurate" method is a maximal stress test,
typically using a treadmill under a doctor's supervision.

Some gyms offer a submaximal stress test to extrapolate your
MHR, typically use a step test. That relies on statistical
tables. It is not a direct measure of your MHR. (But it is
probably good enough.)

Some people suggest age-based formulas, typically "220 -
age". This is the least accurate method. But it is not an
unreasonable starting point.

Finally, some people will say "forget about THR and simply
on how you feel", referring to "perceived exertion". Do a
google on that term to learn more.

In article <[email protected]>, Joe User <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] (Healthy Stealthy ;) wrote:
> > How can I find out what my target heart rate should be
> > when I am walking to lose weight?
>
> Depends on what you mean.

> Finally, some people will say "forget about THR and simply
> on how you feel", referring to "perceived exertion". Do a
> google on that term to learn more.

From what I've read, this is usually quite accurate enough
to choose how hard to exercise.

Warning: If you have any sort of heart or circulatory
disease, start by going to your doctor. Don't base your
actions on anything you read here.

And a good rule of thumb that will work for anyone in normal
health is - If you can get enough air breathing through your
nose, you aren't working hard enough. If you can't carry on
a conversation, you're working to hard.

--
;-}}--**