How can the LT of a significantly slower rider is at 10 heart bits higher then mine

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by VS1, Apr 29, 2007.

1. VS1

VS1 New Member

Hi,

I took an LT test at a no. 1 sport institute in Israel and my LT is said to be at 152 HR (which is 80% of my 191 max - I am 54 years old);

A friend of mine who is considerably in lower fitness shape then me (we have ~ 30 b/min difference when we climb together at the same pace - and he's also 5 kg lighter then me and 5 years younger too) - This friend's LT (the same physiologist at the same institute checked us) is at 162… I wonder what are the explanations for that

thanks

Tags:

2. VS1

VS1 New Member

I am 45 - not 54 yet :)

3. Nicolai Foss

Nicolai Foss New Member

Because there is no interperson relation between heart rate and power output only a nonlinear variable relation in the individual (get a power meter:p)

4. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

Yep, to echo Nicolai's comments. Your HR at LT is irrelevant as a comparison. Your heart most likely has a higher stroke volume than your less trained friend so even for similar cardiac output you'd have lower HR. Even if your stroke volumes were the same you'd almost certainly have differences in the capillary and mitochondrial densities in your muscles not to mention possible differences in muscle fiber type. All of those things have more to do with your power output than just your HR.

It's pointless to compare HR between athletes even athletes of similar fitness. There are too many individual differences for such comparisons to be meaningful. If you want to make comparisons then compare power output for set durations like 5 minute power or FTP.

-Dave

5. VS1

VS1 New Member

Thanks you!

6. VS1

VS1 New Member

ahh with these typing errors : -)
    meant Thank you