How can the LT of a significantly slower rider is at 10 heart bits higher then mine

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by VS1, Apr 29, 2007.

1. VS1

VS1 New Member

Hi,

I took an LT test at a no. 1 sport institute in Israel and my LT is said to be at 152 HR (which is 80% of my 191 max - I am 45 years old);

A friend of mine who is considerably in lower fitness shape then me (we have ~ 30 b/min difference when we climb together at the same pace - and he's also 5 kg lighter then me and 5 years younger too) - This friend's LT (the same physiologist at the same institute checked us) is at 162… I wonder what are the explanations for that

thanks

Tags:

2. jcthomasjr

jcthomasjr New Member

We are all different. Some are born to ride and some are not. Some can get there with hard work but there are always limits.

3. Eden

Eden New Member

It doesn't even have anything to do with your fitness. Max HR is mostly deteremined by heredity and really doesn't have anything to do with your fitness levels. Since your LT is a percentage of your max then you could for sure have a lower hr at your LT and still be faster and more fit than your friend. Take my husband and myself - my max is 211 the hubbys is in the 180's I think. My LT is around 184 nearer to his max . Still doesn't make me faster than him. It just means that my heart beats faster than his.

Now from what I understand LT is trainable - so if you measured your friends max and your own, then your LT's you might find that yours is at 80% of max, while less trained buddies is, say, 75% of his max - would that make more sense to you?

4. palewin

palewin New Member

Eden's reply is correct. Max HR varies by heredity, and as a gross generality, drops one beat per year as a function of age. LT HR is measuring the percent of your max HR you can reach before generating a specific amount of lactate, i.e. how much of your "theoretical capacity" you can reach. LT is trainable (if you do repeat 20 minute intervals at your LT HR, over time if you are re-tested, you will find that you now have a higher LT HR). But, at least for cycling, you are asking the wrong question. Cycling ability is determined mostly by the POWER you can generate at LT, which is what cyclists are really trying to train. Unfortunately to measure that, you need a power meter, which most cyclists don't have access to (at least yet, prices are falling and choices are increasing). So the main impact of your cycling vs. that of your friend, is that you probably produce more power at your LT HR than your friend does, or you can match his power output at a lower HR, meaning you are operating further within your capacity. If you happen to be climbing Mt. Harmon, then the numbers to compare would be power-to-weight, normally measured in watts/kg.

5. jcthomasjr

jcthomasjr New Member

Good information to know. Thanks.

6. madammolecular

madammolecular New Member

it is maybe because of different maximal heart rate,i am 23 and theoreticaly i should have maximal hr 197,but mine iz >203 so my body tolerate higher hr when i am riding and it doent mean that i am i better shape.i used to smoke for 8 years and smoking can have influence on a hr(make it higher).but there are many other things that have influence on hr(genetics).your friend is younger so it might be one more reason

7. VS1

VS1 New Member

Thanks (he used to smoke alot too)