How can tires ride "harsh"? (Repost, looking for actual answers)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by George Herbert Walker, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****

    (Grammarian wannabes, please follow up to alt.thinktheyknowbutdontreally)

    Greetings from Bar and the family.

    As you know little George had another accident on his bicycle, and we are
    going to buy him new tires for his vacation. It may be permanent soon, so
    we want to get it right.

    We hear a lot about tires that ride "harsh" or are "plush". And feeling
    them in the store, obviously some can be flexed very easily (ex: Pasela,
    Roadwinner, Grand Prix), while others are very stiff (extreme for a road
    tire: Vittoria Randonneur with reflective sidewalls).

    Yet, in comparision with the force of a big bump, this difference in
    flexibility is minor, even trivial. Furthermore, the extra resistance
    offered is viscoelastic, and so should feel "plush" anyway. So how can one
    tire- let's stick to reasonably lightweight road tires here, up to at most
    a Randonneur or a Top Touring- ride "harsher" than another?

    Obviously for big impacts, there can't be any worse harshness for the
    stiffer tire. The only possibility that seems open is for small repetitive
    impacts, e.g. vibration-like, on the order of road buzz. There, the time
    constant for a stiff tire might be such that it can't stay in sync with the
    buzz, leading to a busy ride.

    If so, isn't "harshness" a misnomer, and shouldn't we be talking about a
    "busy" or "buzzy" ride, given that any serious single impacts will be
    handled just as plushly, in fact more so, by a relatively stiff tire, as by
    a supple one?

    In other words, isn't this stuff about tire "harshness" all just a
    left-wing liberal commie pinko Godless America-hating Castro-loving
    Democratic Party plot?

    --
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

    Please excuse the inconvenience allegedly caused by our son. Send
    us the bill for all the damages, and we can settle this to your
    satisfaction, without any need for a public record of the incident.

    Most Sincerely, George and Bar

    http://www.usenet.com

  2. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 07:36:14 -0400, [email protected]worldorder.org (George
    Herbert Walker) wrote:
    >In other words, isn't this stuff about tire "harshness" all just a
    >left-wing liberal commie pinko Godless America-hating Castro-loving
    >Democratic Party plot?

    Yes, and it's because of carbohydrates that fatter tires ride
    smoother.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  3. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    George Herbert Walker wrote:

    > Greetings from Bar and the family.

    Why are you re-posting this two weeks (or more) after the first time?

    Bill "ain't no mo' funnier this time around" S.

  4. by inflating them to 300psi.
    -tom

  5. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:48:42 -0700, "Tom Nakashima"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >by inflating them to 300psi.

    By inflating them with rocks instead of air. To any pressure.

    Or, by inflating them with water and freezing.

    Maybe one of those solid rubber airless tubes would do. If not, the
    same machine used to make rims can probably make metal tubes out of
    appropriate sized steel pipe.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  6. "Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:48:42 -0700, "Tom Nakashima"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >by inflating them to 300psi.

    > By inflating them with rocks instead of air. To any pressure.
    >
    > Or, by inflating them with water and freezing.
    >
    > Maybe one of those solid rubber airless tubes would do. If not, the
    > same machine used to make rims can probably make metal tubes out of
    > appropriate sized steel pipe.
    > --
    > Rick Onanian

    actually those solid rubber tires ride softer than pneumatic tires at 90psi.
    My friend had them on for a month, he would brag about getting no flats, as
    we killed him in the time trials. Then he put back on the pneumatic tires
    and killed us in the TT.
    When I see him I call him "Sponge Bob"
    http://www.nick.com/all_nick/tv_supersites/spongebob/main.jhtml
    -tom