How careful do I need to be?

TheDL

Jul 1, 2004
I ride a 1988 Centurion Tange #1 lugged steel frame on 700x23 wheels/tires. I used to ride a mtb years ago and just now picked up the road bike. There's a pretty common paved trail that I travel on and some parts of it have some pretty wicked bumps due to tree roots growing under the path. And this part of the path is on a slight grade. On a mtb, comig down the grade one would think nothing of just sailing over the bumps at 20+ mph, but do I need to be more carefull with my roadie? Is it more of a concern w/ the wheels or should I be concerned of the abuse on the frame as well?

Thanks.

TheDL said:
I ride a 1988 Centurion Tange #1 lugged steel frame on 700x23 wheels/tires. I used to ride a mtb years ago and just now picked up the road bike. There's a pretty common paved trail that I travel on and some parts of it have some pretty wicked bumps due to tree roots growing under the path. And this part of the path is on a slight grade. On a mtb, comig down the grade one would think nothing of just sailing over the bumps at 20+ mph, but do I need to be more carefull with my roadie? Is it more of a concern w/ the wheels or should I be concerned of the abuse on the frame as well?

Thanks.
Whatever it takes to not fall down and hurt yourself.Frame abuse depends on frame size and how much extra lard you're packing.Wheels can take a hit too.

boudreaux said:
Whatever it takes to not fall down and hurt yourself.Frame abuse depends on frame size and how much extra lard you're packing.Wheels can take a hit too.

Well, I'm 6'1" and about 180lbs no featherweight by any means but not excessive either.