How CHEAP is my Hub???

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jon

I got a stock road bike, brand new, sub $600. The front hub is a sealed cartridge (I guess) made by
Quando. If I spin the wheel between my 2 hands it feels rough. Doesn't really skip, but has more
resistance than I would have expected. Is this ok?

On 3 Jun 2003 18:13:53 -0700, [email protected] (jon) wrote:

>I got a stock road bike, brand new, sub $600. The front hub is a sealed cartridge (I guess) made by
>Quando. If I spin the wheel between my 2 hands it feels rough. Doesn't really skip, but has more
>resistance than I would have expected. Is this ok?

No, it's not ok. And I seriously doubt that it is a cartridge hub. Break it open, regrease it and
adjust it properly. If you don't know how, take it into the shop and make them do it.

I got a new bike (mountain-type) this year with Quando hubs. Both were mis-adjusted from the
factory, and not corrected by the bike shop in their prep. The rear freehub took a **** and locked
up on me. The bike shop offered either a warranty replacement in a few days or credit towards
another wheel. After having the freehub lock while riding, no way was I going to stick with that
brand on the rear.

I regreased and adjusted the front hub and it is fine. Traditional cup and cone hub, with some
'seals' of rubber- that is most likely what is meant by 'sealed' on your hubs. Once I get some money
to spare, I will replace that wheel for something better. In the meantime, it rolls smoothly.

In article <[email protected]>, jon <[email protected]> wrote:
>I got a stock road bike, brand new, sub $600. The front hub is a sealed cartridge (I guess) made by
>Quando. If I spin the wheel between my 2 hands it feels rough. Doesn't really skip, but has more
>resistance than I would have expected. Is this ok?

If the bike is new and it came from a dealer, make them fix it.

If the hub is overtight you'll need to adjust it.

Lube can be added to cartridge bearings if you can get the seals off, but if the bearing is really
trashed then lube won't help - in that event you'd need to replace the bearings.

--Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.