How CHEAP is my Hub???

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jon, Jun 3, 2003.

  1. Jon

    Jon Guest

    I got a stock road bike, brand new, sub $600. The front hub is a sealed cartridge (I guess) made by
    Quando. If I spin the wheel between my 2 hands it feels rough. Doesn't really skip, but has more
    resistance than I would have expected. Is this ok?

    Tags:

  2. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On 3 Jun 2003 18:13:53 -0700, [email protected] (jon) wrote:

    >I got a stock road bike, brand new, sub $600. The front hub is a sealed cartridge (I guess) made by
    >Quando. If I spin the wheel between my 2 hands it feels rough. Doesn't really skip, but has more
    >resistance than I would have expected. Is this ok?

    No, it's not ok. And I seriously doubt that it is a cartridge hub. Break it open, regrease it and
    adjust it properly. If you don't know how, take it into the shop and make them do it.

    I got a new bike (mountain-type) this year with Quando hubs. Both were mis-adjusted from the
    factory, and not corrected by the bike shop in their prep. The rear freehub took a crap and locked
    up on me. The bike shop offered either a warranty replacement in a few days or credit towards
    another wheel. After having the freehub lock while riding, no way was I going to stick with that
    brand on the rear.

    I regreased and adjusted the front hub and it is fine. Traditional cup and cone hub, with some
    'seals' of rubber- that is most likely what is meant by 'sealed' on your hubs. Once I get some money
    to spare, I will replace that wheel for something better. In the meantime, it rolls smoothly.

  3. In article <[email protected]>, jon <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I got a stock road bike, brand new, sub $600. The front hub is a sealed cartridge (I guess) made by
    >Quando. If I spin the wheel between my 2 hands it feels rough. Doesn't really skip, but has more
    >resistance than I would have expected. Is this ok?

    If the bike is new and it came from a dealer, make them fix it.

    If the hub is overtight you'll need to adjust it.

    Lube can be added to cartridge bearings if you can get the seals off, but if the bearing is really
    trashed then lube won't help - in that event you'd need to replace the bearings.

    --Paul