How Cold and Wet Does It Have To Be Before you Cancel A Bike Ride?

Originally Posted by airjordans .

I just like riding under the sunshine............

The sun shines in the winter please join us for a ride.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hey, Y'all.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Blazing Pedals, you said, [/COLOR][COLOR= #000000]"Sunday's ride started at noon. It was 37F with about a 10 mph wind from the north. That weren't too bad; I didn't even need toe covers. Gloves and ear warmers, yes. It was actually quite pleasant. For the next few months, I'll be wishing for more days like that." [/COLOR][COLOR= #0000ff] That sounds awfully cold to me! It seems to have gone from summer to winter here in the past month while I've been recoverng from my surgery and fighting this bronchitis, and I'm hoping I'm ready for colder bike rides than I feel right now, lol.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Dave, you said, [/COLOR][COLOR= #000000]'I cant wait for a ride in the light blowing snow." [/COLOR][COLOR= #0000ff]Would that make it dangerous, make visibility poor? Or roads slick? It would definitely make my nose run, lol. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I guess I'm a hot-house flower. I can't stand bitter cold, and I can't handle extreme heat. Let's face it.... I just need to live in Hawaii most of the time. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra[/COLOR]

In England we don't have much choice about the weather, its either windy+cold, windy+rain+cold or just cold, OH and for about 2 weeks of the year we may get some sunshine.!!
When i first started cycling i used to dodge going out in the rain as much as possible but in blighty you just wouldn't get out.
Get ya clobber on get ya legs moving and get out there, nothing stops us lot in the midlands.
Sturdy folk..
Whupp.

Temperatures are below zero overnight here right now and that means it's a bit cool for the morning commute to work.

But there's really no problem staying warm - you just layer up and after a few minutes of effort it's good. In fact, on yesterday's ride in I overheated and had to make some clothing adjustments to cool down a bit.

Reactions: SierraSlim
[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, WhuppingBoy![/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff] [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]You said: In England we don't have much choice about the weather, its either windy+cold, windy+rain+cold or just cold, OH and for about 2 weeks of the year we may get some sunshine.!![/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]Gosh, I'm glad I don't live there, lol. I love the sunshine, and have chosen to live all my adult life in states that feature very little rain -- so I'm not used to it, which is probably why it bothers me, lol. Fortunately, we DO have a choice, so I can choose to either ride in the warm sunshine and feel the gentle breeze on my face, loving every minute of it -- or I can choose to brave the rain, go ahead and make myself do it as the 'sturdy folk' do, lol, and get cold and damp and sticky. I can do it; but it's not nearly as much fun as the sunny days. [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]On the other hand, all your cloudy days is why British people have some of the world's loveliest complexions! [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for chipping in. Love your English expressions that we don't have here -- get your clobber on, in blighty, etc. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra[/COLOR]

Originally Posted by Yojimbo_ .

Temperatures are below zero overnight here right now and that means it's a bit cool for the morning commute to work.

But there's really no problem staying warm - you just layer up and after a few minutes of effort it's good. In fact, on yesterday's ride in I overheated and had to make some clothing adjustments to cool down a bit.
C or F?

It's C of course.

Canada switched from F to C a long time ago. Regrettably I'm old enough to not only remember, but to also prefer F.

I live by the ocean so it's often very windy, and when that happens, I WON'T GO! I HATE THE WIND! The rain or cold is bad too, but usually the right clothing will solve that problem. The wind however, cannot be stopped, and all you can do is get pushed around by it all day. It feels like you're riding with two flat tires through molasses. Also it is dangerous because it hits so hard sometimes it feels like you are lifted off the ground and you lose traction, or it will push you to one side until you have no choice but to turn into that direction to keep your balance. Oh and I've almost had a huge branch fall on me because of the wind, and I'm pretty sure a helmet won't stop that, not to mention the countless fallen trees that have fallen and blocked my path. God dammit.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hey, Joe![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I hate the wind, too -- but I do love being near the ocean. How lucky are you!! If I lived close enough, I would probably learn to swim and let THAT be my exercise of choice, although at this point it would be hard ever to give up cycling. I gotta admit, though, the wind... is just plain nasty. I never knew I made such a good kite before, lol. [/COLOR]

The wind is your friend. It makes you work harder so you get stronger.

That being said, I don't like the wind either.

Hey, Sitzmark!

That was a great link, thanks! I printed it out so I could check it when the temperatures start dropping. I mean, it doesn't get too cold here, but since I'm new to biking, I have no idea what to wear in about any temperature, lol.

Thanks! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif

Originally Posted by sitzmark .

Found this while hunting for something else .... http://triathlons.thefuntimesguide.com/2008/10/winter_cycling_gear.php

Good info without having to key it all in from scratch. Check out the "temp guide". Most important words - "guideline" ..." experiment"

Yo, Jimbo!

I understand that anything that makes you stronger may be a good thing.... but I prefer things that make me work harder without making me miserable, lol. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif Like snorkeling -- which is hard for me because I"m not a swimmer, and people who flounder spend more calories than good swimmers, I think. It's hard -- at least I'm exhausted after a couple hours of doing it -- but it's so enjoyable the whole time I don't mind. Biking, too, most of the time. It can be hard (though it's getting easier as I do more), but it's so enjoyable I don't mind the hard work. Until it's wet and windy, lol. THAT I don't like.

But when I'm out shivering and sweating and miserable this winter, I'll send you a mental thumbs up. Thanks for the positive attitude. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif

Originally Posted by Yojimbo_ .

The wind is your friend. It makes you work harder so you get stronger.

That being said, I don't like the wind either.

Getting back to the question. When I first started out, I found it difficult getting used to being wet/cold or hot/sweaty.

Living in Scotland however, means I had to get used to varying climates pretty quick. They say that you can have all 4 seasons in one day here and that no exaggeration!
I just make sure I have good clothing and plenty of layers/img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif (not to mention a good quality mountain bike which is of course essential!)

I've only started a couple months ago, so from my limited experience i can say that wet and windy is a pain, but not intolerable.

I'd probably stop when it starts snowing and temperatures reach below 10 degrees F, But on the other hand you never really know until you try.

Originally Posted by SierraSlim .

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hey, Joe![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I hate the wind, too -- but I do love being near the ocean. How lucky are you!! If I lived close enough, I would probably learn to swim and let THAT be my exercise of choice, although at this point it would be hard ever to give up cycling. I gotta admit, though, the wind... is just plain nasty. I never knew I made such a good kite before, lol. [/COLOR]

it's the pacific ocean and it's pretty cold, so unless you got a wet suit it's probably a bad idea :(

I was reading all the posts and got impatient and wanted to get my two cents in. I will ride in the rain and down to around 30F. The trick is to have the right gear. I have a Gortex head cover that covers my head, ears and the back of my neck that fits under my helmet. I also have just a ear warmer that fits under the helmet. I have long pants and wool socks. I wear full finger gloves. I have a windbreaker for cycling that can open bottom and top, and has removable arms.

The whole trick is that our bodies generate so much heat that I wear the layers at the beginning of the ride, then quickly start to warm up. Getting wet isn't a problem. Having clothing that wicks the water like synthetics and wools do is what helps keep the core warm in spite of getting wet. Fenders do keep the feet from getting soaked going through puddles.

Temperature control is met by being able to open the windbreaker when necessary, and just enough to let in some cold air to balance the heat. I also may pull up my leggings to expose my legs to help cool me down.

Riding in any weather and at any temp depends on knowing the wisdom of layering and the kind of clothing to wear. There is an old saying, Wool will warm, and cotton will kill. The problem with any cotton and similar materials is they soak up water, and bulk up and suck the heat out of you.

Contrary to what seems logical, cyling in the cold with waterproof gear on, you will over heat at some point. The clothing needs to insulate, but it has to be able to breath.

I also have a dry full hood that covers my shoulders that I will put on when stopping for a rest, as my body will cool down rapidly.

Basically riding in cold icy rain is a strange experience, when my core is comfortable, yet my face is cold.

It is important to keep the head insulated. If your head gets cold, your extremities will get cold.

It takes time to learn and experience to determine, how many layers to wear, and when to shed a layer to control core temperature.

I find it enjoyable to ride what is normally a busy trail and a joy to run into like-minded cyclists.

Reactions: SierraSlim
T'would have to be snow on the ground for me to even consider cancelling a spin.

And even then, depending on the depth of the snowfall, I might still go for a spin.

As regards heat, we don't get extreme heat where I am.
25-30 celsius would be about as warm as it gets here.

We are so separated from our environment now days. We need to get out there in it and experience it whatever the weather. We need to toughen back up a little bit...

i think once your out and it starts raining i fin d you will kep going but if its raining bfore you start most times give it a miss would be more put off by icy roads nerly lost it on a decent last christmas new underpants moment/img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif