How Cold and Wet Does It Have To Be Before you Cancel A Bike Ride?

Sounds just like Northern California. I'm in San Francisco, and they really aren't very good at predicting the weather out here. :)

Originally Posted by SierraSlim .

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Hey, y'all![/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)] [/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)] [/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]You might want to check the weather radar for your area since you'll be able to see if the rain is likely to get you.[/COLOR] -- I HAD checked the weather radar, Jimbo, and it said it wouldn't rain for a couple hours yet. They were wrong, LOL. And I think I'd have DIED at 32 degrees.
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]And Huskey, I didn't like it either, lol. At least I can say I didn't know better, havng never ridden at that temperature before. I had assumed getting warm from exertion would keep me from feeling the cold. It didn't -- though as I said, I think on a sunny day it might have been a totally different story. Oh well. I survived. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, Sureshot![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]They AREN'T, are they??? When we lived in Flagstaff and they could never predict it, I thought maybe it was because the weather had to come over those high mountains, and that maybe that changed things. I don't know what the deal is here.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Unfortunately, they've been right the past 6 weeks, when all they've predicted is rain, rain, and MORE RAIN!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/hissyfit.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Reminds me of my favorite newspaper cartooon, which showed the weather office from the outside of the building, with a window open and a hand sticking out, feeling for the weather.... Maybe that's how they do it, lol![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Have a good one.[/COLOR]

How cold and wet.....hmmmm. I generally do not head out in the rain but have gotten caught out many times over the past 17 years of commuting. As for the cold: in my younger years, pedaling to work, my no-go limit was anything below 30 degrees. I will pedal in the dark morning hours (head out at 5 am) as long as it is 35 degrees or warmer with the rest of the day being forecasted as being decent (dry + little wind).

Lately it hasn't gotten out of the 30s daytime!!! And the wind hasn't stopped howling since the middle of October. I mean winds averaging 20-25 sustained on an almost daily basis for WEEKS with gusts to 35 and above. This is in the NorthEast.

So out of sheer frustration I bought an indoor trainer. Got it last week and have been spending around an hour a day on it while catching up on my DVR'ed shows. Better than sitting on the couch doing nothing while watching....that's for damn sure!

And with an approaching snowstorm (Sunday into Monday) that's being forecasted to dump on us, the trainer will most likely be well worth the money spent.

http://www.kurtkinetic.com/

i ride in most conditions save snow if you got proper clothes on you and cycle keeping up a good pace you should not have major problems mind you i am a bit mad

-20 C, 18 km,.:)
Very very cold. Brake levers and lubricant in the chain is frozen :)

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, you 3![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]TDev -- I don't know where you are, but I know one thing.... [/COLOR][COLOR= #0000ff]I don't wanna be there, LOL! Brrrrrr.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]SaintsAlive, I think maybe you ARE a bit mad... but you know what they say about dogs and Irishmen, lol. (I can only tease about that because my dear granddaddy's name was FLanagan, and he was as Irish as they come -- which makes me a little mad, too.) [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]NJ Diver, I also just bought a trainer, because we've had nothing but RAIN for a couple months now (and as we speak, and forecast for the next 10 days, sigh). I use it, but it sure isn't as much fun as being outside. It's just a test of endurance, even in front of the tv, for me. What's cute is that my little dog, Chamois, wants to be in my front basket as I ride there, so she sits with me as I exercise. I think she would love it if I took her in it on my outdoor rides, but I'm too new to biking and not confident enough that she wouldn't throw me off balance yet. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Listening to the drizzle outside.... think I'll go throw a log on the fire and pop some corn. Have a good one, y'all.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]SierraSIckOfRain[/COLOR]

Yeah, in California a weather is warm.. but in Central Russia - not!

But, if weather is cold - i ride on the bike only for fun.

Actually, i use my indoor trainer. Recovery season require very long training with low heartrate

-40 c so far - I agree with proper attire - layered right you can usually make things work. The usual stopper is more blizzardy conditions and lack of visibilty for myself. Thats what usually stops myself

just came out of a freeze here in ireland down to -15 at nite off the bike for bout 2 wks impossible to go with ice on roads never mind the cold ,it actualy jumped nearly 20 degres in a 12 hour period when the thaw came was out the last couple of days bit wet but great to be back on the road againn hope the artic air will stay up there where its suposed to be ,but theres more forecast for new yr ...../img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

For me anything below 45 deg is reason to call it off. But it has more to do with correct clothing than the temp outside. I use the "cold" days to do some other exercises for my upper body.

It call it quits when gasoline starts to freeze... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif. Realistically at the bottom most, -5*F. Comfort 30*F.

Guess I'm a wimp. I don't do rain. And not because of what it does to me but what it does to the drive train. Cold? 45 and above. Below that it has to be a dead wind day with lots of sun. So most times I don't go out under 45. Bought the cycle trainer this year. I'm using it!

The clothes make the difference. It was 25 degrees F today with a 14 mph wind, putting the wind-chill at 17. Layers made of appropriate wicking material make it really fun. I wear a bicycler's tight under a pair of nylon adidas pants, and two layers on top plus a Goretex Phantom jacket, and I am really comfortable... a little chilly to start but within 10 minutes I'm comfortable. Good mittens and a face mask complete the ensem.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hey, y'all![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]TDev, Oldcastle, Hod, Wizzo, and Bikester... T[/COLOR][COLOR= #0000ff]wo words: You're NUTS, lol. I cannot believe you go out in that kind of cold (but have to admit, I'm filled with admiration for the cajones it takes.... just be careful you don't freeze them off).[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Uzzah and Doctorold, there may just be hope for you two! I think I could manage 45, with the proper clothing and at least a little patch of sun here and there. I don't think I'm ever gonna be able to face anything below 40, though. If water freezes at a temperature, I see no reason to put my veins and arteries in it, lol. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hang in there, fellas. Spring will get here.... eventually. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/COLOR]

I cycled in today to work in sunny England.
It was sleety snow which stuck to your body face and glasses, blocking vision and freezing my cheeks and shrinking my teeth.
The wind was harsh at times and then the rain turned to snow on the second half of the trek.
It soaked my leggings, skull cap and gloves to ice blocks but my feet were still toasty along with my core..
It was hard but rewarding as i got to work and the other cylicts hadn't ventured in on their rides.. KUDOS..!!
In the past i have been described as a 'fair weather cyclist', this however after this week has been proved incorrect.
I understand why people don't ride in rain or snow, but i think it makes the better days alot more enjoyable when you finally get them.

WHUPP

The cold really does not bother me. However, if it is cold enough for water freeze on he road, I will usually ride the rollers.

Hitting the tarmac on a warm day is bad enough, cant imagine when its freezing out.

As for the rain, As long as its not raining when I start...the ride will continue.

Keep it safe

Cheers

Originally Posted by TDev .

I post few photo for illustration :)
lol at that point the bikes are riding you. That's crazy. Were you able to ride the bikes at all?

I don't ride in weather below 20 degrees F, in hard rain or thunderstorms. It's hard to get out in cold weather as it takes longer to prepare.

Cold = 60 deg F - anything below and I need to really bundle up!
Rain = pouring - if it's 80 deg F and warmer, riding in a light to medium rain is fun!